Can a node be tagged with: building=yes?

I found a particular node which is tagged with “building=yes”:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/368053948

Why is that so?

What does this node represent?

And when should nodes be tagged with “building=yes”?

Thank you for the reply.

that is eight years old bull… please delete it.

Regards
walter

Thank you for the reply wambacher.
So the answer is: No, a node can not be tagged with “building=yes”?

Only closed ways and relations can?

A node can be tagged with building when building geometry is not clear.
There are a lot of places on the Earth without highres satellite images available for OSMers. Some imports also give only approximate position of the building but provide full address information.

Although tagging a node building=yes can make sense in general, the particular one you linked to has also been mapped as an outline so you would not want to map the building twice by having the tag on a node as well. You could consider deleting the node altogether and adding its tags to the mapped building outline.

Thank you for the useful replies wowik and Wynndale.

I do not know how to do that. I will leave this to more experienced users.

If http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/bernard1995 is you, I’d encourage you to jump in and start editing! The first time that you select the “edit” button at the top the default browser editor will take you through a quick tutorial that’s easy to follow.

Hi SomeoneElse

Yes, that is me. I actually tried some editing testing in JOSM editor, but at the moment I can not run it any more. My Java installation has been messed up.
It seems I would have to try learning how to edit OSM data through iD.
Thank you for the mentioning the tutorial, I did not know it exists.

Wrong way: get Java/Josm running again and forget about iD.

Regards
walter

Thank you Walter.

I googled a bit, and saw how much more powerful JOSM is in comparison with iD. That’s why I started using it.
But I can simply not get hold of installing Java.
Some Error 1603 is driving me crazy, and I can not fix it.

It’s not only JOSM, I can not use another application which requires Java.

I do not see any other way, other than formatting the whole hard drive and installing a new version of Windows.
Which I am reluctant to do.

I really do not know how to fix this damn 1603 error any more.

While you’re trying to get Java working, I’d definitely try one of the other OSM editors.

They’re all good for different things - iD is designed for people who haven’t edited things in OSM before; JOSM allows you to do more things, but it’s more complicated and easier to make mistakes (and those mistakes could potentially be more serious). I personally use Potlatch 2 most of the time, because it’s the best at working with an existing GPX file with waypoints in it (which is what I normally do), and the UI presentation gives the impression of having being “designed” rather than just “written”, but I do use JOSM (and other editors) as appropriate too.

But what’s important is not which editor - you’ll only really get to understand how and why people map stuff as they do by actually doing it yourself, and iD is an excellent way to get started, because it does include a nice tutorial at the start, and doesn’t have third-party dependancies.

Thank you SomeoneElse. Will try iD then.

Another good way to get started with OSM is to sit together with a more experienced user. You can search for one in your area with http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc

Thank you Escada!!
This is very good map, I haven’t been aware of its existence!