Tagging ways and nodes with "amenity=restaurant"

I do not understand something:
When should I tag a restaurant as a node, and when should I tag it as a closed way?

Here is an example:
A restaurant on Manhattan, tagged as a node:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2183010490

Just next to it, there is another restaurant tagged as a way, where way represents the outline of the building:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/278053562

So when should a restaurant be tagged as a node, and when as a way?

I checked the wiki.openstreetmap article on restaurants, but couldn’t find an answer to this question.

I would welcome any kind of help on this.

If you know the restaurant occupy entire building use the tag on the building (way).
If the restaurant occupy only a part of the building or you do not know his precise geometry use the tag on the point (node).

This restaurant http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/278053562
do not occupy entire multilevel building so its tagging is not precise.

Thank you for the quick reply wowik.

By “entire building” you mean: all floors of that building?

It does not mean at least one full floor of the building? By “full floor” I mean: the entire area of a single floor.

From the tourist point of view full floor restaurant “occupy” entire building but from the point of view of tenant of the second floor he don’t live in the restaurant :wink:

Thank you wowik.
I didn’t understand you though.

A restaurant occupying the entire building means:
That the restaurant occupies all floors of that building, or
Just a single entire/full floor of that building?

Hi wowik.

I truly apologize for disturbing you further.
My intention was not to spam.

I just didn’t understand your reply:

A restaurant “occupying the entire building” means:
That the restaurant occupies all floors of that building, or
Just a single entire/full floor of that building?

I would be very grateful for an answer on this question.
Thank you once again, and sorry for disturbance.

“Occupying the entire building” includes all floors.
In case of doubt just use a node. It’s really that simple.

Thank you for the clarification R0bst3r!

As wowik mentioned, I also see a number of restaurants not occupying the entire building (all floors) and them still be tagged on a building outline.
Is it possible to somehow report this?

Why not just change it yourself? In JOSM it’s only a few clicks.
You can always put a note there using the icon on the right side on osm.org.

If you are unable to change it yourself, either leave a map note, or add a changeset comment to the changeset that created the problem.

Unfortunately, you may find that this gets very low priority from mappers, and the original mapper may not understand what they did wrong.

Thank you for the replies R0bst3r and hadw.

Ok.

I think I need to open a new topic on the copyright issue. It is by far the most confusing aspect of OSM, at least for me.
I checked some of your copyright pages (1, 2, 3, 4), but it’s still very confusing for me, what I can and can not use as a basis for mapping any element at openstreetmap.org.

While the rule of “place on outline when it occupies the complete building” is followed by many mappers, it is not mapped like that by all mappers. OSM has a lot of freedom, and data consumers have to live with that.

You can also question whether you should map the building with amenity=restaurant when there is a large garden where you can eat as well and a playground and a parking space. Some will put the amenity=restaurant on the complete area then. Others not.

Thank you escada.
So as wowik said, tagging closed way with “amenity=restaurant” is more precise than tagging it on a node?

A correct outline contains more information than a node. It gives you an idea of the size of the restaurant. For navigation purposes, a node is enough.

You can either map in a very detailed way (sometimes called micromapping) or you can map in a “good enough” way.
If you map a restaurant, you could e.g. map individual rooms accessible by the guests, including hallway, toilets, eating area, bar, and the private rooms such a the kitchen. OTOH you could just place a node on the map. And many variants in between.

I depends on what you find interesting and fun to do. As more and more basic things are mapped, people move on to more details. In case your area does not have a lot of POIs, I would just map them as nodes and try to map as many as possible. Later on people can still add details.

Another example of this is the outdoor_seating=yes vs leisure=outdoor_seating. The former is an older tag placed on a object (node or way) mapped as amenity=restaurant. It is enough to know there is outdoor seating. But lately people want to map the outdoor seating area in more detail, that where the second tag comes from.

You will see this in all kinds of tags, where people started with a rough outline and tagging of the feature and as we go we add more and more details, splitting areas, etc.

There is no right or wrong in this.

Sometimes it is better not to map the amenity on the building outline, even when it fills the whole building.
Suppose a new, trendy restaurant is opened in an old listed building and you want to tag both the construction date of the building and the date the restaurant came into business. Both should be mapped with the start_date. In that case it would be better to map the restaurant as node inside the building, so both can get different start_dates. I don’t know of another solution for this.

Thank you for the detailed replies escada.
And sorry for not replying back. For some reason I do not know how to turn on email notifications.

Those individual rooms, halway, toilets, eating area, bar, kitchen are all separate closed ways?

Would it be too much if I would ask you to show me an example of this kind of mapping at some location on openstreetmap.org?

I do not have examples of this type of mapping. Right now I only know about serious indoor mapping in some railway stations in France and Germany. There are probably other examples of malls etc. I’m not sure people are already spending time on indoor mapping each and every restaurant. This will also be hard without any floor plans.

If you are interested in indoor mapping, read e.g. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_Indoor_Tagging

There is a branch of the iD editor which is targetting indoor mapping, and there is OpenLevelUp, an app for viewing such indoor models.

There is an indoor forum here, and you could watch two presentations from SOTM 2016 on mapping railways stations in France: http://2016.stateofthemap.org/2016/osm-goes-indoors-2/ and http://2016.stateofthemap.org/2016/osm-goes-indoors/ (first watch number “-2”, as it was given before the other at the conference.

Wonderful!! Thank you for detailed information once again!!