You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-25 15:48:28

Ru Anderson

What Makes A Successful Event?

Hi guys,

I'm holding the Newcastle Upon Tyne mapping event (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php … ping_Event) on the 8-9th December and have a few questions to help make the weekend a success for myself and those helping out.

1. In general, how much can I expect from people that turn up for the event? i.e how long should a mapping session be? How far should I expect people to walk? What time is ideal for starting and ending?

2. What about the evenings? i.e should I have something planned if necessary? What if someone is stuck for accommodation?

3. What type of equipment is usually on hand at an event? i.e Is Wi-Fi essential? Detailed maps of the area? Laptops etc etc?

Any other advice would be grateful!

Cheers

Ru

#2 2007-11-25 20:07:07

Lambertus
Administrator
Website

Re: What Makes A Successful Event?

Difficult question and there won't be a definitive answer, you will be lucky to get 10...

How many will turn up depends on
- geology (big city will likely have more mappers)
- publicity (mailing list, local newspaper, flyers on a local university, makes a big difference
- weather
- other public events or holidays (e.g. planning a mapping party on christmas day isn't smart;-))

Most parties start at about 09:00 and end somewhere before dinner with an open end. Some people can go home for dinner, others might choose to dine together and/or grab a beer. Wait until 10:00 or so before going outside, introduce everyone and prepare to bring newbies up to speed first. Might be wise to be back at 15:00 or so, so there is time for collecting and processing the data. Wifi/network is important for that part of the party as is an uptodate dump from the database (otherwise a hickup in the OSM infrastructure would ruin the party). Some hardcopy maps of the area is handy so that ppl can make notes while walking around.

I think that, with frequent stops, you will be able to walk 5 to 10km during the day. That gives you a radius of about 1.5 to 2km. There might also be ppl with pushbikes who can map areas a bit further away. Pick a bounding boxes between a few (obvious) large streets and assign mappers to those bounding boxes, that way they'll be able to map more effectively.

If you are willing to provide a bunk for the night you might advertise that on the wiki though it's not paramount, most mappers will be local.

Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

#3 2007-11-28 17:04:33

Ru Anderson

Thanks for the reply pal.

I plan on mapping some university buildings too. Have you had any experience doing that?

I have scanned a copyright free campus map into ArcGIS and georectified it. I then plan on digitising the buildings has polygons and uploading them to OSM instead of mapping them.

Thanks again

#4 2007-11-28 19:21:46

Lambertus
Administrator
Website

Ru Anderson wrote:

I plan on mapping some university buildings too. Have you had any experience doing that?

Nope, sorry. Is the wiki giving you not any hints?

Come to think about it, I believe users Sxpert has done some building mapping....

Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

#5 2007-12-02 16:38:25

Ben

I thought Sxpert was messing with some other data rather than his own/osm's but I may be wrong.

For buildings I tend to use a compass, as well as lining up key points on buildings or between buildings and leaving waypoints, and also marking when I'm standing in-line with a face.  A few notes tends to finish them.   This is far quicker than walking/riding around them I have found, although I havn't really tried it in a densely packed area.

Ben

Board footer