Error in tiles@home

Hi,

When i try to render a certain tile (Arnhem) I get a lot of errors (not when I render an adjacent tile). Anyone know what’s going wrong here? Also when I request an update, the update never completes (the user at tiles@home who tries to render probably has the same problem).

Here is the output (note that the … stands for a lot of repetitions of the same error):

root@tom-desktop:/home/tom/tilesAtHome# perl tilesGen.pl xy 2115 1353
- Using working directory /tmp/
- Inkscape version 0.45.1
- xmlstarlet version 1.0.1
- zip is present
- pngcrush version 1.6.4
- Uploading with username "tomlevels@gmail.com"
- Configured Layer: default
- Configured Layer: maplint
This is version 5015 (Latrobe) of tilesgen running on linux
[#1   0% jobinit] Doing tileset 2115,1353 (area around 51.971268,5.932617) 
[#1   0% default] Skipping frollo (nothing to fix)              
[#1   8% default] Rendering... ERROR                        
  The following command produced an error message:
  LC_ALL=C nice -n10 "inkscape" -z -w 8192 -h 256 --export-area=0.000000:850.394458:878.900000:877.826538 --export-png="/tmp//7472.png_part" "/tmp/output-7472-z17.svg" > /tmp//7472.stdout
  Debug output follows:
  | 
  | ** (inkscape:11520): CRITICAL **: void gnome_canvas_bpath_def_curveto(GnomeCanvasBpathDef*, double, double, double, double, double, double): assertion `bpd->moveto_idx >= 0' failed
  | 
  | ** (inkscape:11520): CRITICAL **: void gnome_canvas_bpath_def_curveto(GnomeCanvasBpathDef*, double, double, double, double, double, double): assertion `bpd->moveto_idx >= 0' failed
  | 
  | ** (inkscape:11520): CRITICAL **: void gnome_canvas_bpath_def_closepath(GnomeCanvasBpathDef*): assertion `bpd->moveto_idx >= 0' failed
  | 
  | ** (inkscape:11520): WARNING **: GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
  | 
  | terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  |   what():  std::bad_alloc
  | 
  | Emergency save activated!
  | Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
  | If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at www.inkscape.org
  | with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
  | ** Message: Error: Inkscape encountered an internal error and will close now.
  | 
  | Aborted (core dumped)

Additional info about the Error(s):

[#1   8% default] LC_ALL=C nice -n10 "inkscape" -z -w 8192 -h 256 --export-area=0.000000:850.394458:878.900000:877.826538 --export-png="/tmp//7472.png_part" "/tmp/output-7472-z17.svg" > /tmp//7472.stdout failed 

svg2png failed

Well, I guess you also noticed the fact that Inkscape dies with an Out-of-memory error. I don’t know what you can do about this, i.e. if this a problem with Inkscape or that your machine is actually low on memory, but I found this message on the mailing lists. Perhaps that will lead to a solution for you.

I was running Ubuntu in a virtual machine. I tried again with 2.5Gb of memory and than, it quit at 25%. Seems this tile needs LOTS of memory to render.

I read something about using another rendering engine instead of inkscape which was faster and required less memory. I think that would be great.

Take a look at this thread in the T@H mailing list. It seems Inkscape is not without errors… Maybe you need to report this to the Inkscape developers.

There is an effort in using Batik as an alternative for rendering. Seems to be working.