You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: forum.openstreetmap.org is being retired. Please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators.
Please create new topics on the new site at community.openstreetmap.org. We expect the migration of data will take a few weeks, you can follow its progress here.***

#151 2009-05-11 13:40:52

Willem1
Member
From: Eindhoven
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 93

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I've been on a holiday in Switzerland, and because we had no topo maps there I used your OSM Garmin maps. It worked perfect!

But there is one problem: if I show your maps on the device, most areas are not shown. Some examples: landuse=residential, building=yes, natural=wood. Strange is that they do show up when loaded in MapSource. Another thing: highway=motorway is blue in MapSource and red on the device. And highway=track and highway=cycleway are different in MapSource, but there is no difference between them on the device. Are the MapSource application and the device using different styles?

Another thing: I think that POI's are displayed too early when zooming in. They should show up at 500m zoom level or something. Now, they show up at 3km.

Offline

#152 2009-05-11 13:55:21

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I'm using the default Mkgmap style and have noticed the things you describe too (e.g. tracks, paths, footways and cycleways all having the same look on the GPS). Perhaps this needs fixing in the default Mkgmap style or we need to use a TYP file to control this, though from the openmtb map I understand this is a problem with the default Mkgmap style.

I an reluctant to develop my own style because of the time it takes and because other map makers possibly do not profit from it. So I think it would be best to somehow organize a significant effort to improve the default Mkgmap style.


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#153 2009-05-11 16:28:22

forward100
Member
Registered: 2009-04-28
Posts: 5

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi again Lambertus!

I think I've been finally beaten by trying to get OSM to work on my Garmin 60CX.  I am still hoping to be able to add to the OSM knowledge while on my Around the World tour starting in 3 weeks.

I have created a map of Eastern US, dowloaded tiles individualy (to compile myself thus spare your server time).  I compiled the tiles using GMapTool.  I have finally loaded the map onto the GPS, and it works!  Except once I get to 30k viewing distance, everything disappears...  I don't know why this is and I have worked on compiling these maps and getting them on the GPS for weeks.  Learning about GPS, learning about OSM, learning about MapSource, cgmapper, GmapTool, etc.  Can anybody on this forum think what I might be doing wrong that the map should not work outside of 30k?  Is my gpmapsupp.img file too large at 1.3GB?

Anyhoo, on the upside the compilation for South America works, and I can use it on my GPS: Hooray for me!  Maybe I should just skip the states? tongue

Offline

#154 2009-05-11 17:03:21

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

forward100 wrote:

I have created a map of Eastern US, dowloaded tiles individualy (to compile myself thus spare your server time).  I compiled the tiles using GMapTool.  I have finally loaded the map onto the GPS, and it works!  Except once I get to 30k viewing distance, everything disappears...  I don't know why this is and I have worked on compiling these maps and getting them on the GPS for weeks.  Learning about GPS, learning about OSM, learning about MapSource, cgmapper, GmapTool, etc.  Can anybody on this forum think what I might be doing wrong that the map should not work outside of 30k?  Is my gpmapsupp.img file too large at 1.3GB?

I've never used GmapTool, only Mkgmap. I cant remember setting my zoomlevel to 30k on my Garmin so I don't know if it works in Mkgmap, but I wonder what's the benefit of zooming out that far...

Anyhoo, on the upside the compilation for South America works, and I can use it on my GPS: Hooray for me!  Maybe I should just skip the states? tongue

South America is an infinitely little amount of data compared to North America, that might explain why that works.


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#155 2009-05-12 03:55:03

forward100
Member
Registered: 2009-04-28
Posts: 5

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus wrote:

I cant remember setting my zoomlevel to 30k on my Garmin so I don't know if it works in Mkgmap, but I wonder what's the benefit of zooming out that far...

It's the zooming IN part that isn't effective, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem.  Any closer than 30k and all the data disappears, until I get to about 3k then I only see town labels.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I will try once more and make the Eastern US map compilation half the size.  If I can't figure it out I'll move on.

Thanks for your help!

Offline

#156 2009-05-12 08:13:16

sunset_rider
Member
Registered: 2009-05-12
Posts: 4

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

@Lambertus: Found your site and thought it would be best solution for my map problem in connection with the etrex Vista HcX to download a map with installer form your site. I requested two maps: One of the complete area of Germany and one only showing a small part of West-Germany. I Received the download link for both maps last night. However, when I try to download, I am just directed to a page with error "404 not found". yikes

The message was as follows:
Not Found

The requested URL /~lambertus/garmin/routable/30-04-2009/cf9a5ae6a636ecc5e8e86ea39a7319f7> was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at planetosm.oxilion.nl Port 80

Is this only a temporary problem or are my files really missing?
Thanks for any help in advance! I would really like to use your service! smile

Offline

#157 2009-05-12 09:15:39

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

You need to remove the '>' from the URL.

I added '<' in front and '>' at the back of the URL to prevent mail clients to break the URL in two sections (wrap) which works perfectly in Mozilla Thunderbird, but I guess some other mail clients parse messages differently. Perhaps I should resolve it differently. Does anyone else have a generic method of displaying long URL's without breaking up in email clients?

With breaking up I mean something like this:

http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/09-04-2009/0f987fe31
b1651d0dedcb10737d42da5

Instead of:

http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/09-04-2009/0f987fe31b1651d0dedcb10737d42da5

Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#158 2009-05-12 11:22:40

sunset_rider
Member
Registered: 2009-05-12
Posts: 4

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Oh, thank you. Sorry for that Noob-mistake. The URL looked a bit strange to me, but I did not figure it out. smile tongue

Offline

#159 2009-05-12 11:48:28

pwt
Member
Registered: 2009-05-04
Posts: 4

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lamberus,
Thanks for the info (that there may be some build problems with the Canadian Maps, and that you'll look into it).  To help, I'm requesting the following tiles: 73240253.img, 73240255.img, 73240259.img, 73240260.img, 73240292.img, 73240293.img

It seems that only 73240253.img, 73240255.img have any real data in them (9Meg and 8M in size, respectively).  All the others seem to be down around 100K->400K (some POIs, but nothing else).

Thanks again.

Offline

#160 2009-05-12 21:23:59

sunset_rider
Member
Registered: 2009-05-12
Posts: 4

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

@Lambertus: I have another question. Hope, you can help me. smile Your OSM Map works well with mapsource. However, I cannot search for anything. Is this a problem in connection with your map or is it my mistake? Please advise.

Offline

#161 2009-05-13 00:05:00

Gibuld
Member
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 50

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

forward100 wrote
Any closer than 30k and all the data disappears, until I get to about 3k then I only see town labels.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I remember what I wrote one page ago here

Offline

#162 2009-05-13 08:16:37

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

pwt wrote:

Thanks for the info (that there may be some build problems with the Canadian Maps, and that you'll look into it).  To help, I'm requesting the following tiles: 73240253.img, 73240255.img, 73240259.img, 73240260.img, 73240292.img, 73240293.img

It seems that only 73240253.img, 73240255.img have any real data in them (9Meg and 8M in size, respectively).  All the others seem to be down around 100K->400K (some POIs, but nothing else).

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=3242

sunset_rider wrote:

@Lambertus: I have another question. Hope, you can help me. smile Your OSM Map works well with mapsource. However, I cannot search for anything. Is this a problem in connection with your map or is it my mistake? Please advise.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopi … 508#p21508

Gibuld wrote:

forward100 wrote
Any closer than 30k and all the data disappears, until I get to about 3k then I only see town labels.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I remember what I wrote one page ago here

I think this is something that is controlled in the Mkgmap style sheet which could use some extra work.

Also I read the following on the Mkgmap mailinglist

Pedestrian Routing can't work with autorouting focussed stylefiles. You can try maps from openmtbmap.org for pedestrian/hiking/mountainbike focussed routing.

Which might explain why long cycle and foot routes work so badly, although I don't exactly understand why the standard style file cannot provide adequate routing for all transport types.

I'm in the process of moving to my new house. I have to regrettably report here that I won't have much time for the next two months to work on the new version of the website or track down and fix bugs in the building process. This influenced work on the Garmin maps for some time already, but real life has really caught up now. I will try to keep the weekly updates going.


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#163 2009-05-13 08:45:10

Gibuld
Member
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 50

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus, best wishes for your new house. I appreciate your work with the routable OSM maps. Hopefully you later find the necessary time to update the Mkgmap style sheet. Your
page is worth being maintained for further enhancements.

Offline

#164 2009-05-13 09:15:26

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Gibuld wrote:

I appreciate your work with the routable OSM maps. Hopefully you later find the necessary time to update the Mkgmap style sheet. Your page is worth being maintained for further enhancements.

There is some misunderstanding here. I have never done any updates to the Mkgmap stylesheet nor do I plan to, to be honest. I made a promise that mapping, the forum, yournavigation.org and the Garmin map generation is enough contribution to OSM (before it completely takes over my life). I leave Mkgmap development to others.


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#165 2009-05-13 10:16:43

Gibuld
Member
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 50

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Oh, then I really misunderstood something. I thought itÂ’s you who provides a style sheet to Mkgmap while generating the map via Mkgmap. What I wonder now is, who will care about the problem as described?

Could you imagine, that I was able to contribute to enhance the mapgeneration - though I'm quite infamiliar with Mkgmap ?

Last edited by Gibuld (2009-05-13 10:26:33)

Offline

#166 2009-05-13 11:22:56

extremecarver
Member
Registered: 2008-09-18
Posts: 440
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Normal style-file can't provide good pedestrian routing, because the "pedestrian" setting on Garmin GPS is simply not working like people expect it to work. What it does is simply allowing more ways (like footways) to be taken into the routing, and not respecting oneway streets or turn-restrictions. It does not change the priority - meaning speed and road class of ways however (or incorrectly). Therefore a highway will still be prefered over a footway if they run side by side even though you switched to pedestrian routing in the menu setting.

To get proper pedestrian (or also bicylce, mountainbiking, hiking) routing you have to change roadclass and speedclass so that it fits the user class and use the GPS in Car/Motorcycle setting cause that's the only one that works correctly. (maybe emergency does work nicely too, I'm playing around with it). You therefore have to exclude any motorways or trunk roads from the routable types.

Difficult solution for a problem that seems simple. But as Garmin didn't think alot (because they don't offer any maps that provide pedestrian routing - the routable topos produce crap routing) when designing firmware of units and maps we have to go this way. This also means I switch maps when I change from mountainbike/hiking to my car to get back. Because a map suitable for hiking can't work for caruse. I'm trying to get my maps working good for bycicling too - but that's not easy.


OSM Maps for Mtbikers and Hikers, OSM Karten fuer Mtbiker und Wanderer --> http://openmtbmap.org
OSM Maps for racing and casual cycling - für Rennradfahrer und Freizeitradfahrer --> http://www.velomap.org

Offline

#167 2009-05-13 12:22:21

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Wow, that explains a lot of my and others experiences with the routable maps. Thank you for sharing this with us. What do you think of teaming up (after I've moved and settled ofcourse) to provide maps for foot, bike and car specific routing? It looks like you have the routing stuff well figured out and I have the flexible map combining and worldwide coverage... combined that could give amazing results!

To make the first step: I'm willing to get the website and map making toolchain into SVN :-)


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#168 2009-05-13 14:50:27

arndale
Member
Registered: 2009-05-13
Posts: 2

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi Lambertus,

Great routable maps. Thanks for your hard work.

On your site it says 'Note: Map update in process.'. I assume that's why the USA is not showing at the moment. How long to the updates normally take as I'm off to the US soon and was hoping to take some of the maps for my Garmin with me.

Thanks
Dean

Offline

#169 2009-05-13 16:27:40

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

arndale wrote:

Great routable maps. Thanks for your hard work.

On your site it says 'Note: Map update in process.'. I assume that's why the USA is not showing at the moment. How long to the updates normally take as I'm off to the US soon and was hoping to take some of the maps for my Garmin with me.

Indeed: America's tiles are being rendered right now. Should be ready in a few hours.

Update: no I'm mistaken, something is wrong with the resulting files from splitter. Gunzip complains about: "73240286.osm.gz: unexpected end of file" and it appears to do that with every file. I'm afraid I won't have new tiles for the America's within the next day(s).


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#170 2009-05-13 17:32:55

sunset_rider
Member
Registered: 2009-05-12
Posts: 4

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus wrote:
sunset_rider wrote:

@Lambertus: I have another question. Hope, you can help me. smile Your OSM Map works well with mapsource. However, I cannot search for anything. Is this a problem in connection with your map or is it my mistake? Please advise.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopi … 508#p21508

Thank you for your quick response. Do you already know hen you will probably have fixed this problem? (that cities and other points cannot be searched with the find engine of mapsource)

Offline

#171 2009-05-13 19:33:01

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

sunset_rider wrote:
Lambertus wrote:
sunset_rider wrote:

@Lambertus: I have another question. Hope, you can help me. smile Your OSM Map works well with mapsource. However, I cannot search for anything. Is this a problem in connection with your map or is it my mistake? Please advise.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopi … 508#p21508

Thank you for your quick response. Do you already know hen you will probably have fixed this problem? (that cities and other points cannot be searched with the find engine of mapsource)

Mkgmap is not developed by me, so I would not know the answer to that.


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#172 2009-05-13 23:51:07

arndale
Member
Registered: 2009-05-13
Posts: 2

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus wrote:

Indeed: America's tiles are being rendered right now. Should be ready in a few hours.

Update: no I'm mistaken, something is wrong with the resulting files from splitter. Gunzip complains about: "73240286.osm.gz: unexpected end of file" and it appears to do that with every file. I'm afraid I won't have new tiles for the America's within the next day(s).

Thanks for the update. I will keeps my eyes open for the new ones.

Dean

Offline

#173 2009-05-14 05:09:58

bennygcs
Member
Registered: 2009-05-14
Posts: 1

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

hi Lambertus,

first of all thank you very much for all your effort. this is the most complete osm routable map location i've found on the web. i've downloaded the Australia Victoria img file and set my location to Melbourne. i was able to simulate driving from the melbourne international airport to armadale apartments... however, when i try to simulate from the aiport to a certain street name (ie great ocean road / williams road) my garmin nuvi 255w says NO MATCH FOUND.

is it that the map can't route by street name / address? just POI? fyi, i put the img file into SD card and manage to load the map but my unit basemap is Malaysia / singapore. any advice is greatly appreciated smile

Offline

#174 2009-05-14 08:52:10

Lambertus
Inactive
From: Apeldoorn (NL)
Registered: 2007-03-17
Posts: 3,269
Website

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

There are a lot of posts in this topic so I guess it's easy to miss stuff wink But yes, searching addresses does not work very well yet. Can you try the methods described in this post?


Mapping tools: Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Giant Terrago 2002

Offline

#175 2009-05-14 09:20:21

stevebiker
Member
Registered: 2009-04-17
Posts: 15

Re: Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hallo,

   
   
Have noticed that in the map on the OSM main consideration when routing way streets are not taken into account!
As an example, in Vienna Bez 21st Menger Lane (coordinates: N48 15,480 E16 24,372 to N48 15,359 E16 24,597), as is directly routed to the one-way! Auto / Motorcycle, not avoidance.
Why take account of the OSM World Routable map no way streets?

Stefan

I hope, this is the right forum!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB