Using OSM data to convert into shapefil format

Search for “labels openjump” on google and you might find something. ( did find stuff but it’s very hard to understand a program that I never used.)

Hi,

There is a menu icon that looks like an artists palette, press that and see what happens. Or select your layer on the layer list that is on left of the map window, right-click and take the Change styles option. OpenJUMP does have documentation that is not bad at all. Both a document an an on-line version, have a look at this, for example:
http://openjump.org/wiki/show/Layer+Menu

Hi,

I managed to show the labels i.e road names on my map which is good. Now, is there any way for me to save the shape file  BUT with the names already appearing on it so that next time i view it, i don't have to go and click Change Styles>Labels>Names because as i don't want to repeat this process again and again if u know what i mean.

Another reason for this is beacuse in Geotools website they have a section about displaying shapefiles, so i’d like to display both the map with the names already appearing without having to ADD it on the shapefile.

Cheers

The names are in the shapefile all the time, it is just if they are shown or not when you open the file. In OpenJUMP and many other similar programs you can save the “project”, that is, all you have collected in the map window including styles. Next time you can open this saved project and you will see your map styled in the same way that it was when you saved it.
I am pretty sure this in written somewhere in the documentation, otherwise I wouldn’t know it.

Oh i see, i’ll try it out. By the way, i don’t know if this happens to u but when click on the open jump icon, it take a good while perhaps 1/2 mins for it to load up on my machine. Sometimes, when i try to open a file on C:\ drive for example, it takes some time for it to display my files. Does anybody know why it takes this amount of time?

or is it the case that i need more ram or something?

cheers

1. OpenJUMP is Java program and starting Java virtual machine takes some time.
  2. Getting file list just is slow in OpenJUMP nowadays. It is almost irritating. Adding ram won’t help. In some other situation it may be useful. More ram is given by editing Java options in the startup file for example by changing
    set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms256M -Xmx256M to
    set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms256M -Xmx512M