Just how do we tackle cavalier mapping ?

Just another report - I’m at a loss as to what we should do about user:mCloud00. He did remove some of his “gardens” in the area in the link below, but please download the area in your Editor of choice and note the horrible mapping technique. Overlapping areas, landuse areas that are obviously adjoining but use two separate ways with empty space between, buildings inside of landuse areas, hundreds of nodes where a few would do the job, invented names (name:en=Fitness Center), screwed up riverbanks. The list goes on.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/18.68329/98.99766

I offered to meet with him to discuss OSM mapping but he never replied one way or the other. He needs guidance or coaching, or something but how does one persuade another mapper to accept such guidance?

I have spent a lot of time cleaning up his junk but I’m getting tired of it. He seems to not want to learn from others or from the Wiki.

I too, concur that his mapping is sloppy, and have already fixed a number of issues in the Centre of Chiang Mai … if anyone in the DWG is reading this, can we block him again until he accepts help ? Otherwise whats the mechanism for requesting a permanent block ?

I am also concerned that several residential & unclassified roads, put in by experienced mappers such as Tom & Stephan, he has seen fit to change them to “alleys”. If it was a just a case of misinterpretation, that’s one thing, but its inconsistent. I have written this changeset comment on one which speaks for itself :

I’m also seeing a few tracks that are now missing on the map (with the tell-tale remaining untagged nodes bearing his history). Does this ramp up the need for a block until sorted ? I appreciate English may not be his first language, but to come up with names for Temples, like “Hindu God’s place”, he must have a degree of comprehension. Paul (or anyone else who will help) … can you try to communicate in Thai with him ?

Cheers, Russ

Have you noticed that a user with nickname mCloud00 just joined the forum? Can you please refer in your changelist comments also this thread?

Done !