Footway vs cycleway (vs path)

I’m in favor of having a mini-gallery of example tags and pics covering all the common cases.

I’d use highway=bicycle, foot=yes. (Mainly bicycles, foot allowed).

There’d some loss of some info loss with this tagging. A marked bicycle lane is a specific (and rarer) case of the more generic path. Whether or not that is important to distinguish, I don’t know.

The second part of my post included a solution for the “loss of information” concern. It was not a very long post…

Also, look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway for tagging of bicycle lane on a road.

There is a preference in OSM to have a single element for a physical entity and include the desired details as part of its tags. This also holds for multi-lane ways.

There are plenty of dedicated trails for bicycles tagged with highway=cycleway. Many of them were not built or intended for pedestrian walk.

You’re right. I didn’t need to split this to urban/trail as it’s almost the same. I’ll edit it.

The distinction between a paved and an unpaved bicycle path is very important as the latter exclude rod bikes and can generally only be ridden by mountain bikes.
This could make a big difference in the future for routing software.

I routinely convert cycleways to paths+bicycle=yes/dedicated whenever I encounter them in open areas.