Missing street

Hello everyone. Just got started with open street maps and downloaded osmand for my droid. Seems to work fine so far but…

My street is not in the database of streets. It has the surrounding streets but since mine is only about 10 houses it got missed. Not really surprising as there are a few maps that don’t show it. What I’m wondering is how I might go about adding it to the database(s).

Thanks for the help.

Stephen

Send a tracklog of your street to OSM and one day your street will show up on the map.
Or go to one of the online editors and add your street yourself.

Thanks. I’ll try and do that in the next couple of days.

The beginner’s guide is the place to start: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide
Basically, you can record a GPS trace, upload it to OSM, then trace over it and give it the correct tags to add it as a street. Then it should appear on the online map shortly after that.

Or since this is the street you are living on (i.e I suppose you know it well :wink: ) and it is apparently small (“only about 10 houses”), I don’t thing you need any GPS tracks to draw your street on the map. Just read the beginner’s guide (see link given by Vclaw in the previous post) and add your street using the Potlatch online editor!

When you have logged a GPS trace of any street there is no obligation to upload the trace to the OSM server and use Potlatch. You can also have the GPX or NMEA file on your own PC, open it with one of the offline editors like JOSM or Merkaartor.

To read about the first steps with offline editors, there are descriptions in the OSM wiki as well.

Don’t hesitate to ask when there are any difficulties.