Getting a map of MxM dimensions around a known coordinate point

Hi all,

Do you know whether it is possible to get a map of MxM dimensions around one specific coordinate.

For example, i want to get a map of dimensions 2Km X 2Km of which the center of this box is a know coordinate point.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas.

Do you want to get a rendered Map like on the main map, or do you want to get the osm-data?

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Well, i would like to have both, the rendered map for visualization, and the osm-data so i can get information about
the road topology. (road length, number of junctions etc).

Thanks.

I don’t know of such a “click and forget” service, but you should be able to do that with a bit of manual computation

You first need to convert your 2x2km square to lat/long square (google should help you to find the formla)

Then :
Xapi permits you to get data from a square expressed in lat/long :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi

and the main osm.org’s export tab helps you to do the same type of export with lat/long coordinate

Hi sly,

Thanks for the tip. Ok i was able to convert the 2x2Km square to lat/long and go the OSM XML data for it from Xapi.

Now is it possible to get a rendered image of this area, let’s say a JPG of 1000x1000 pixels?

Thanks.

Doesn’t this :
“and the main osm.org’s export tab helps you to do the same type of export with lat/long coordinate”

fits your needs ?

You won’t be able to get a perfect 1000x1000 pixels image with constraints of 2km x 2km square, but you should be able to get really close to it by playing with the zoom level and the export square and maybe using an image editor to cut as needed.