Looking for some place to host routable OSM based Garmin maps

Can you post the link when you have completed your setup?
Also we have a similar setup in Australia but these are not routable could we get you to compile them for Australia as well?
ie if you compile them I can then copy to our host site for the Ozzie maps

It was a hot week in work, so I haven’t got much time for setup.

I created some quick web page and all the maps are available here:
http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/

I am still working on improvement of the generation process to support large areas.

Wow, impressive, just downloaded Germany and played with it a little in the area of Hannover. Finding POIs is easier (even as they are currently all “unnamed”) then addresses - I guess its time to work on cleaning up the data now - I see streets with different spellings, located in regions with different spellings, things that I did not pay much attention to in the past.

Olaf

I am impressed!!! Great Job! I downloaded the Germany map to my Colorado and I did some routing in simulation mode. Your map is shown in cool 3D and it really looks like it works. I will try in real tomorrow.

One thing I was struggeling with was navigating from street to street, though. City to city worked just fine. I don’t know if it is just another Colorado bug, inaccurate map data or whatever.

I agree with TravelingViking, that we need to increase the quality of the map data. Radomir, could you give us a short insight, what is really important for your routing? I could imagine tags like max_speed, oneways, etc. How can we help?

Thanks again for the great job,
Catsware

Well for openstreetmap in general more data is always important, we usually lack

1. streetnames (name=…)
  2. oneway streets (oneway=yes + check direction)
  3. turn restrictions (have no clue)
  4. speed limits (max_speed=…)

Turn restrictions are the only one that are hard to get right.

Doubling interest for Australian maps :).

Also, is there a fundamental reason why they’re mapsource executables rather than just being files we can upload directly? I’m just a Linux user and have never used mapsource, or a Garmin routable product.

I uploaded one large file that can be uploaded directly to GPS unit. It contains all the maps.

Could you also possibly create GMAPSUPP.IMG for different areas ?

I’m not able to use the exe files because I’m a linux user.

I’d like to compare to liosha’s export ( that work pretty well )

And I’ll apreciate then to give feedback ( if it is not already perfect ! )

Any chance of creating a routable map for Malaysia/Singapore (bbox N1.0 E99.5, N7.0 E105.0)?

I am fighting with coast lines and generating ocean area. Malaysia was a good training area. I had some problems with double coast lines, but I use a bit old data and I saw you already deleted them nyem.

Malaysia uploaded.

I think the coast lines are now fixed. I am now working on more quick updates and cleaning the code to publish it.

Added Australia and Ethiopia.

If anyone would be so nice to propose some quick, automated way of creating IMG files ready to be copied to GPS unit, I could integrate it in my workflow and publish them. Currently the only way I see, is to send the data from MapSource to GPS and download them back. This makes no fun. Any help would be appreciated.

Can’t Sendmap do the job of creating a combined .img file?

I tried sendmap, but I can’t manage to send index data and it is not possible to search for streets in GPS unit.

When I upload only dddddddd.img files the map works, but no searching. If I include _MDR.img the map is ignored by GPS unit and is not visible at all. Does anyone have any experience with sendmap?

Hello Radomir,

congratulations for having succeeded in creating routable maps for Garmin devices from OSM. And thanks a lot for sharing them.

However, my mapsource version 6.14.1 will not start anymore, after having installed your new maps for Germany (http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/Setup_OSM-Germany-2008-07-22.exe) Other “new” maps I tried work well. Also the older map for Germany works well (I think it was from 2nd July).

Using OSM-Germany.TDB from the older “distribution” together with the other newer files from 20080722 will work. I tried it several times, and this was reproducible.

On Mapsource 6.13.7 on another computer the new version of the German map works well (as well as all other maps I tried).

I am not aware of any other differences, that should be significant in this regard. So it seems, the newest mapsource update from Garmin has an incompability with OSM-Germany.TDB from 20080722 while Mapsource version 6.13.7 has not.

I see some progress in the newer release, for example some unnamed restaurants have names now. In the older release, on my device - Garmin Edge 705 - I was leaded many times the wrong way around roundabouts. When I checked OSM sources, they had correct one way directions. I did not see this behaviour in the newer release. However, I still see crashes of my device, especially when it calculates routes. Also other strange errors. I guess some of the problems have to do with the fact that the device is still rather new and its internal software is not mature yet. Others might have to do with the routable OSM maps. If you are interested in more details, I will try to give them.

Also, searching for places does not work well, always. For example, when I search for the city “Bonn” it is found. When I want to search for an address, and I start giving the city Bonn, nothing is found. Again, when you are interested, I might be able to give reproducible examples. It might have to do with the “region”, where a city can be found. I have too many choices there. They include

Germany
Germany.
Deutschland
Bundesrepublik Deutschland

I don’t own original Garmin maps, so I don’t know how they would behave or feel in similar situations.

Concerning your problem with sendmap. I don’t have a good solution and I don’t know, what sort of Garmin device you have. Maybe a slightly more convenient solution could be to just stick an SD-card into your computer. On my Computer, Mapsource can use the SD-Card as destination for the map. So, when you have a device, that cannot be accessed directly as an USB-Disk just buying a cheap SD-Card might make the procedure considerably more convenient.

Dieter

I’m not sure if this is relevent, but some people have reported some issues with the latest mapsource, so it may be updated soon and perhaps fix these issues as well, otherwise I guess we will have to wait to see it can be fixed.

Many thanks Rodomir for uploading also directly .img garmin file format. I’m using it in france and results are very very great !

How did you solved the img problem ?
did you uploaded it in your device then re-downloaded it as img ? or did you find a procedure in your workflow to generate it “semi-automaticaly” ?

PS : Most things seams working ( accentuated letters are well rendered )
PS2: only thing thats seams not working so far are access restriction :
a way motorcar=no & psv=yes was used in the navigation
a way with access=private was also used in the navigation

Parallel to dbuerssner comment I also discovered that I can use a card reader with MapSource. Works better than with GPS unit as the transfer is faster. This is still not the perfect solution, because it needs human interaction and time.

Tag access=private is currently not considered.

As I don’t want to interfere with any laws I don’t provide the link here. Legality of this mapsource version is doubtful I would say (not sure if it is or not). Search thepiratebay for “Mapsource Special” and download version 6.13.7 or the crappy 6.14.1 (the crappy thing is 6.14.1 in itself IMHO, not the little hack applied).

This version allows you to directly export to your harddisk into the folder /garmin on all drives.

Hi Radomir,

We are waiting your new routable maps! Your maps are the most interesting ones of OSM-Projects. Please give notes if you could not update regularly, so that people know what had happened, and maybe some advice how to make an own (routable and global searchable) map individually (maybe not at mapcenter2??). Thank you very much!