Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus, Any idea what the current queue time is. Replies seem to run over 12 hours? Or has something gone wrong with my e-mail address? Hugo

There are about 180 requests in the queue at this moment, yesterday evening 130. I’ve cleared some old files so I hope the queue is shortening a bit.

Edit 1: But looking at the CPU usage graph, having much more spare disk space wouldn’t have helped much. The CPU is pretty much running flat out most of the time anyway. I guess, it’s just more busy then usual after an update.

Edit 2: The download stats confirm the busyness: twice the usual bandwidth usage the last two days.

Edit 3: The cleanup script allowed 72 hours downloading before deleting, it has been reduced to 48 which resulted in a lot free disk space. I think the queue of 200 request will reduce now.

Yes but matchit cannot do much about it. It is designed to work with country polygons that describe a closed loop boundary. Then it is 100 percent correct. But instead it is offered polygons (from cloudmate mostly) wich are mostly many rectangles within the country boundary. Mostly this will go ok but sometimes like for italy some small tiles miss. So for italy a plolygon from geofabrik is taken. I’m pretty sure that the new york scattering has the same reason. All can be sorted out by supplying good country poligons.

Sorting countries on alphabet is done by machit now also.

First, let me thank you very much for this great service. Living in a developing-world country, it is absolutely great to be able to get routable maps. It has also been a rewarding task seeing the areas I mapped be added.

But, I have a problem. I asked for the tiles for Bolivia and received the response below yesterday. Unfortunately, only files there are:

Parent Directory	 	 -
mkgmap.version	09-Feb-2010 00:01	 4
osm_routable_tiles.zip	09-Feb-2010 00:01	 34M
requested.tiles	09-Feb-2010 00:01	 26
requested.time	09-Feb-2010 00:01	 20

There is no gmapsupp.imp nor MapSource installer. Is this something I did wrong?

Thanks for your help. The response letter is below.

Hi,

Your request for a routable Garmin map on garmin.na1400.info is ready.

The server has generated four different configurations of your map:

• Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
  • Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
  • Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
  • A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

Please browse to the website listed below and download the map configuration(s) you’re interested in. Your request will be available on the server for 48 hours before it’s deleted.
<http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/03-02-2010/5b490b5d691dd2a390c0cd6b49c23b02>

Enjoy!

Hi Lambertus,

Has anything been changed with the system that generates RoadTrip maps? I downloaded a map and MapInstall gives an error: “Alert. There is a problem with the OSM World Routable installation. Please re-install OSM World Routable and start MapInstall again”

I tried re-installing the map to no avail. I reinstalled the previous OSM routable map and it works fine with MapInstall.

Interestingly the problem map is installed to RaodTrip with MapManager no problem. Its just MapInstall finds an error with the map.

Thanks

You didn’t do anything wrong, something did on the server (don’t know why this time). I’ll remove the current combine result and try to make a new one with tiles 3 and 4 (the ones you selected). Hopefully this was just a hickup…

The server is still 2 days behind with around 100 requests in the queue and disk space rapidly nearing 0 again which means the last two days required about 100 GB of storage.

I hadn’t heard of this problem before. A newer version of Mkgmap has been used to render the tiles, that’s the only possibly relevant change since the previous update. I’ll see if a source can be found…

Hi, I been having problems with the maps from Australia, Along the East Coast for the past week. Attempted to download 3 or 4 times the maps and still have the same problem. The tiles on the Furthest East of the Coast are not working in Road Trip on my Mac. The colors on those tiles are not the same as the others and I can’t zoom in very far. if I try to zoom in The maps disappear.

If I zoom in any closer than what’s showed in this photo the roads etc disappear.

Screenshot

I am having the same problem as philipstart but with Mapsource. The problem only seems to be effecting the tile that covers the extreme east of the Australian continent north and south of Brisbane. When I attempted to use this part of the map Mapsource generated an error mesage that requested detail be sent to Garmin but as the problem seems to be occurring in other applications it seems that the problem may be with the download as the OEM map in both View and Edit looks fine. Please advise if you need any more information.

Khank you.

Kevin

Just to add some more info. The ‘previous’ OSM routable map, that works fine for me was based on OSM data from 20-01-2010 and I downloaded it on 30 Jan 2010. Requested tiles were 63240454.img, 63240455.img, 63240456.img.

The ‘problem’ OSM map is based on OSM data from 3 Feb 2010. I downloaded it 10 Feb 2010. The tiles are requested were 63240409.img, 63240410.img, 63240412.img (Ireland). I chose from the new preselected drop-down menu)

I have the “.nsi” info from both downloads if that’s any use. The mkgmap version file simply says “svn” for both maps.

This may be a problem specific to the map you have downloaded. Perhaps you could let us know which tiles you downloaded, or the directory of your download, so we can try to reproduce the problem. I was able to successfully install other tiles, so I don’t think it’s a general problem.

You may also wish to try the latest MapInstall beta. This version appears to be much more stable than previous releases:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4729

Cheers

I tried again with these tiles (http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/03-02-2010/c03ab2e075c79b73cd44114417e1d915/) and was able to install without any errors – I did use the beta version of MapInstall though.

Cheers.

I still having the same problems as I posted a couple days ago.

The tile on the far eastern side of Australia is not working. I can’t zoom in any closer than 5Km as shown in the image I posted a couple days ago.

I am not using Mapsource. I am using Roadtrip on a Mac. It’s been like this for a week and a half now. Unfortunately the area in question is where I live and travel.

The directory was planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/03-02-2010/c03ab2e075c79b73cd44114417e1d915 but I think its dead now, sorry.

I am using MapInstall Version 2.1.3 Release. http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-06 This seems to be later than the beta in your post. Do you reckon its better to downgrade to the older beta ?

Just to clarify, I am able to install the map onto RoadTrip fine. Its just transferring the map to my GPS unit via MapInstall brings up the problem. I tried clicking on the link you posted for the tiles that worked for you but the link is dead.

I’ll try to download a new set of tiles and I’ll let you know what happens.

Oh yeah, I just want to say a very big thank you to Lambertus and yourself (and all who contribute) for this EXCELLENT service. It is superb. OSM and my Garmin GPS unit would be nothing with out the ability to use the OSM maps on my GPS unit. I have used your service for just about a year now and it is excellent. I appreciate your good work. Cheers.

Someone on the Mkgmap mailinglist reports the same problem as Kevin70 (crashing in MapSource) and you (crashing in RoadTrip). It appears that some table in the image is too big. Ofcourse Mkgmap tries make Garmin maps using a reversed engineered Garmin image format, so errors like these can be expected now and then.

I should probably make sure the images are made a bit smaller due to this problem. Unfortunately, the next update is already running, so I guess that one has to be stopped and restarted with different parameters.

Maybe the problems with MapInstall reported by Groundspeak are related as well. So, lets hope that a newer Mkgmap and smaller tiles will solve this in the next update.

Thanks for letting me know about the updated MapInstall: I had missed that. The release notes appear to be identical to those from the Beta version, so the updated version may just be a renamed beta release.
I did download and install the 2.1.3 version, and retested again with the three tiles of the Ireland map. Again I was able to install successfully. I did this by installing to an SD card mounted directly in the reader slot of my Macbook Pro (OS 10.6.2). Are you installing from a different configuration, such as directly to your Garmin device via USB?

Let us know your results with the new tiles. Also, you should perhaps ensure that you clear your map selection in MapInstall before reselecting the tiles (Apple-Command-D).

Cheers

I am installing directly to my GPS. I install the map with MapManager which works sucessfully. I open RoadTrip and check the map and confirm it is installed successfully. Then I try to upload to my GPS but I can’t even get MapInstall to open to the page that allows me to use CMD+D. I get that error message. and then MapInstall “closes unexpectedly”

However if I reinstall my last good OSM maps it all works fine even in MapInstall!

I am no programmer, but I was going to try to open the good and the bad OSM maps in a Hex editor and take a quick look to see if anything looked wrong (to my unskilled eye). But OS X wont allow me open the either of the .gmapi files in a hex editor. Nor will it allow me to open their package contents .gmap files in a Hex editor either. It’s very unlikeley I would have been able to spot anything wrong with the Hex editor anyway.

I’ll let you know what happens when I install my next set of maps.

I put a request for the same area and downloaded the map but the same error happens (kind of thought it would but I gave it a go anyway)
I’ll try again when a newer version of the area is available.

The link I downloaded from is http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/03-02-2010/c03ab2e075c79b73cd44114417e1d915/ and is available for 48hrs

Hey Lambertus,

what a great new feature to download the requested tiles for a country as filelist or combined gmapsupp.img immediately without a request via e-mail!!!

Great!!!

And also the countries in alphabetic order, fine!

Keep up your excellent work and thank you very much,

flux.

I downloaded a new rendering from http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/10-02-2010/c7c509421d7f5857cab8f39a6c0cea12/ based on OSM data from 10-02-2010

Unfortunately the error still occurs. MapInstall gives the same error “Alert. There is a problem with the OSM World Routable installation. Please re-install OSM World Routable and start MapInstall again” and then crashes.

mkg mapversion:1568
Requested tiles:63240558.img, 63240559.img, 63240562.img, 63240563.img

The curious thing is that the older map based on OSM data from 20-01-2010 works fine with MapInstall.

I came across http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gmapibuilder#Caveats . It says that errors like mine can and do happen. It gives instructions for a terminal.app fix to clear MapInstaller. It says “open up a Terminal.app and execute”.

My question is how do you “execute” in terminal.app?