Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Does this help?

I do not exactly understand.
I compile maps and copy gmapsupp.img to my garmin.
When I choose " find address" I have first question “enter state”.
Whtever i put it says no matches.
it does not ask me about country at all, so I do not have option to input any number.

Maybe I am compiling maps wrong?

Do you use Mkgmap or my website for compiling your maps?

I am using website

Ok, well I’ve worked through the Mkgmap mailinglist and this appears to be a problem specific to Nüvi owners (maybe Dakota and Oregon as well). It is a Mkgmap problem and will be sorted one day… they are working on it.

I am having this problem on ZUMO.
It also appears on Garmin Mobile PC (desktop and handheld device).

Countries are also not recognized in Mapsource.
Is this normal?

On my Oregon 300 I solve it in this way:

• search for towns
  • if you find your town, choose it and press at the next screen the displaybutton with the three circles (it is placed where the abc button is shown while you are searching for towns)
  • then search for pois (I use --road-name-pois for my maps to have the streetnames listed in “all pois”) and choose your streetname

In this way I find all adresses available in the used map.

flux.

I’ve just downloaded The Netherlands from the website and installed it in MapSource. When I type just ‘N’ (in Find Places → City → Country) I already get a list of countries to choose from with Nederland as first choice. The same goes with ‘U’ which lists United Kingdom first. So that appears to work rather well.

City option: Typing ‘Apel’ gives the city Apeldoorn as first item.

State/Province option: Typing ‘Antw’ gives the city Antwerpen as first item.

If I enter in Find Places → Address:
Number: 1
Street: Kayersdijk
City: Apeldoorn

and then click search then the correct street is found. But if I enter the country name as well then the street could not be found…

So your mileage may vary depending on the things you enter.

Lambertus, the Garmins are quite different.

Your method is working fine with the Extrex Vista HCx, but NOT with the Oregon 300. The Oregon 300 shows me a command to enter the country or province for the searched town and NO entry can satisfy this question, ALWAYS you will get the answer “NO RESULT”.

With the Oregon 300 I NEVER can use the address search, I have to search for a town and then nearby this town for pois (where I have listed all my streets with mkgmap option --road-name-pois).

flux.

Flux, the test in my previous post was conducted in MapSource, not on a GPS.

Regarding road-name-pois: do the roadnames show up as a general poi or in the address search? And can you combine city and road name to find the correct roadname, or does it just find the closest road with that name?

Thanks for the idea - it works, I can find cities.
i do not have button with circles - by hitting that do You mean setting GPS position to previously found city?
However I cannot find the streets using pois - if I search for pois I have to choose category.
In none of them i don’t find the streets.

Ok now I understand, You just added the streets as POIS.
Can You explain how to do that - do I have to download mkgmap and edit my .img file with it?

Sorry but I am complete noob.

Oh, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully … and I never used MapSource, I have no Windows here.

–road-name-pois will show all streetnames as pois, listed in “All POI” (I hope this is the exact english expression at the Garmin GPS units). I can search for every city, once found and clicked I choose “Find near here” and search in “All POI” for streetnames (at the Etrex Vista HCx). At the Oregon 300 the way is similar, the menue at the touchscreen is a little different and all streetnames will have the city as second item, e. g. Hauptstraße, Regensburg. With this solution I can find all addresses available in the loaded map, nearby my position or 900 km away …

I am not sure, but as I remember the latest maps from Lambertus, I think there are no streetnames as POIS … I use my own maps for the Oregon 300 and Lambertus’ maps for the Vista HCx, because the Vista can search for addresses.

miszczu1983

If you found your city, choose it to reach the next screen and there press the button shown in my screenshot, then you can search near by the choosen city for “all pois” if your map will include streetnames as pois …

flux.

Correct, I don’t use that parameter as I think it’s a rather big hack… But maybe I should use it so the most people have the ‘best’ experience.

I think the mark means “close to”.
I can only search by the categories.
The only thing I am missing is to manage search for streets somehow…
Searching for cities works.

You can search for streetnames if your map is created with the --road-name-pois option.

If you give me your preferred region (may be only a small district around a town where you live) I can upload you a map with this feature so that you can test it.

This would be great, I know some people who would like to use your maps with the Oregon 300!

flux.

Admin edit: Flux, please add a second post to the first if there is little time between them

OK! flux.

That would be very nice of You.
I live in Poland, You can send me a small piece of poland modified
by You i.e. on my e-mail address miszczu1983@o2.pl.

However, I would preffer if You could explain me how to do it by myslesf, because what I want is the combined routable map of many asia and middle east countries since I am going there on motorbike.

BTW, Lambertus, You are doing a hell of good job here !

The howto via mail … I can give you some links.

Here a download of a gmapsupp.img (Poland complete, datas from OSM, 02-02-2010, the map is 55 MB). I used --road-name-pois, so that you should find the streetnames via “All POI” or “Geographic Points”. I also used the default style because the Oregon is faster without custom style-files.

http://mirror.live-modules.org/quax/fluxflux-sl/playground/gmapsupp.img

flux.

this is working as described.
Awesome.
Can You give me brief support how to do that with my map?

http://www.cferrero.net/maps/maps_index.html

I think here you will find all answers to your questions. No need to repeat things which are written in an excellent howto …

flux.

That’s an awesome page. Thanks for the link!