Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Welcome, Frank,

This sounds like a great idea. However, the tiles change in size and shape, making this impossible.

But, you can zoom the map until you see the entire area you want and just draw one or more rectangles. This will quickly give you a selection without having to click each tile. You can combine this with one pre-selected country.

Regards Peter.

thanks for your rep;y
I tried another method
I download the china-latest.osm.bz and unzip a 3.7gb .osm file

i use mkgmap-r3624 to make the garmin img file

java -Xmx1024M -jar mkgmap.jar --code-page=936 --index --route --drive-on=detect china-latest.osm

but unfortunately i cannot make it

and i try

-Xmx512

but still can’t

This map is way too big, you need to run the mkgmap splitter first:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/How_to_create_a_map

Or try first a smaller osm extract from http://www.openstreetmap.org/export to test.

thank you
i can make my own map now:D

I’ve been thinking about this for a long time. My current line of thinking is providing the URL with some parameters, e.g. Well Known Text (WKT). Example: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl?wkt=POLYGON((30 10, 40 40, 20 40, 10 20, 30 10))
That would select all tiles touching or inside the given polygon (the numbers in the URL are just sample coordinates, WGS84 should be used).

In theory not a big deal to implement because all the pieces of the puzzle are already in use somewhere in the toolchain. The biggest difficulty is to match the tiles to the polygon which is already implemented in the toolchain where the country maps are defined using PHP but it’s not part of the website code.

Hi Lambertus,

Today there are gremlins in the system. When I first chose the new style map, any country I selected would show only one or two tiles. After switching to the old style, tested (OK) I switched back and the selection was good. I then had it build me a Thailand map. In the link I was sent there is only a zip file, but the link that now appears on the web site when I chose Thailand has all the files.

Kind regards,
Peter.

Hi Peter,

Gremlins you say huh? Well, at least I’m in good company :smiley:

The problem occured while the system was very busy (the country server’s harddisk is often working as hard as it can to deliver data to the webserver when many users are downloading). In those conditions the CPU is barely able to do anything but wait for disk I/O. My first guess is that some file operations timed-out. I’ll add some extra checks.

Fyi, the country server is now delivering 700GB per day!

Awesome! Thanks!

Maybe some “mrtg” graphs with request served, or custom maps made, could help us to understand the influence of your service.

I don’t think that’s easy for the country server, because those maps are ‘build once, serve many’. I only have statistics on individual files from the webserver logfile.

For the custom maps I do have a graph (behind a username/password) that shows how many and what kind of maps are requested per 24h. It’s not working properly at the moment but it usually peaks at 800 to 1000 requests/24h.

Traffic for both the country and custom map server peaks at about 140 Mbit/s with an average of about 40 Mbit/s each.

when was the last time the north carolina maps were updated? using the osm I downloaded and put on my garmin nuvi 40 several days ago, I can’t navigate to the wal-mart in ahoskie, or 2 entire communities in hertford, seems like holiday island and snug harbor missed out on being mapped

Welcome rstevenson1976,

I don’t think you understand how OSM works. It is created (mapped) by you and me. So, if there is something missing or wrong in the map that simply means nobody has mapped it yet. You could navigate to the OSM web site and place a note in the spot, requesting this to be mapped. Perhaps in a few months time somebody who is in the area has seen your note and done it. You could dive in and map it yourself, but be aware that there is a learning curve involved. Try getting some assistance in the regional sections of the forum.

Regards,
Peter.

Lambertus,

Today exactly the same happened: emailed link to a zip file only, link on the main page has all the files.

Cheers,
Peter.

Hi Peter, please post the URL to the map.

Edit: Never mind, there are plenty of similar maps.

Edit: Fixed a bug introduced when we switched the styles repository to Github. So hopefully less errors from now on for the Country builds.

Edit: Changed the cleanup script to also remove faulty maps.

Hi, when selecting the map type ‘Generic Routable (new style)’ the page gets stuck on ‘Loading data, please wait’.

Please try again, it’s working for me…

It’s also working for me now. Thank you for fixing it!

The data from north Mexico is not complete or is getting old data. Roads, rivers, highways are missing even if they have been in OSM for months. I tend to add all the roads and bicycle paths I go thru but must are not visible when I see the osm.nl in BaseCamp I have used new style, have not yet tried old… I am also looking at BaseCamp to see if I am doing something wrong, but if you have ideas I can try, they would be appreciated.
Thanks

The local planet file and maps are updated weekly or bi-weekly so anything older than 3 weeks should be available. Do you have a specific example?

AOL/Netscape users should note that the servers at AOL are dropping a lot of the emails sent to their end-users. My advise is to use a different email address.

My Garmin didn’t have map data for Cyprus, so I downloaded the rotatable data from the garmin.openstreetmap.nl site and put it on my satnav. It worked great and navigation was flawless, so thanks a lot for that.

One question - I’m going to Spain so I’ve downloaded the Spain data and put the gmapsupp.img file on the SD card, just as I did with the Cyprus data. The satnav didn’t have data for Cyprus so there was no chance of a conflict, but it does have data for Spain (though it’s many years out of date). I’m therefore wondering which map data will take precedence when I enter a destination? Will it use the data that came with the satnav or the data from the gmapsupp.img file? If the satnav data will take precedence is there a way to force it to use the gmapsupp.img data?

Thanks for your advice on this.