Introducing OSM2World

I am playing around with turn-lanes on OSM ways in the moment, thus I am looking for a good way to display highways with each lane when having direction arrows.

on osm2world.org I found this screenshot http://osm2world.org/examples/0.2.0/Road%20marking%20example.png … and expect from that special JOSM mappint style, I am not aware of any other renderer which can display those turn-lanes.

So my aim is to display such a bitmap (or many tiles) from raw OSM data for a specific region with highways like the screenshot, but in 2D and NOT in 3D … like perspective on main osm.org

So far I played around with osm2world on my PC and I was able to load and display some data, but how can I achieve such a 2D Rendering of streets?

Anybody able to give me a step-by-step howto?

To get a 2D rendering, you can configure the virtual camera of OSM2World to look on the scene directly from above. This will result in square tiles with the same perspective as those on osm.org. In order to cover a larger area, you will likely want to set up an automated process to generate map tiles. Depending on your needs (size of the area, frequency of updates) this can be relatively easy or quite involved.

As the first step, it probably helps to get familiar with the OSM2World command line interface, as that is easy to use in scripts for automation.

If you give me a bit more info (area you want to render, how experienced you are with the command line and scripts, whether you have a server available …), I can help you to set this up.

Hello Tobias,
as you have seen, I started a first frame for a tutorial about my aim on wiki discussion page from the german OSM2World article there.

So I managed to load a small extract of raw OSM data in the latest GUI version, and I can zoom and rotare with mousebuttons and wheel.

But when I choose Camery → Ortographic projection, the screen content turns black with no content!
Is that reproducable on any other PC by another user?

As I am still not so familiar with camera position settings and view angle parameters in OSM2world:
Is there an easy way to get a view directly on that area I want to render which is called ortographic / senkrecht ?

Turns out the ortographic projection in the GUI is currently broken. :frowning: I’ve wrote myself a note about this here. You will still be able to produce images with orthographic projections via the command line, though.

I recommend to use the command line anyway, as it gives you more precision for configuring the view. If you need help with the OSM2World commands in particular or command line usage in general, I’m here to help. The relevant parameter for orthographic perspective is --oview.angle 89 (or something else that it close to 90°). Then you can use --oview.bbox , , or --oview.tiles ,, to define the intended area.

Semi success via command line!

see first result at https://github.com/tordanik/OSM2World/issues/95#issuecomment-113893809

Now il will try to get a real 90 degree angle to get a result like on main slippy map from osm.org, and how to zoom in or extend the image resolution, maybe via --resolution xxx yyy

Stephan

Great that you made some progress with your project. :slight_smile:

One quick tip: Don’t forget to include the “example texture selection” from http://osm2world.org/download/ - it contains e.g. the arrows for road markings.

Stephan, what’s the status of your project?

If you need any help, just ask. :slight_smile:

Hello Tobias, I got stuck a little bit … maybe also because lack of time …

from one day to the other the command line posted above did not work on my Windows7 any more: output PNG was always same size in bytes and totally black.

Then I tried to continue with GUI version of OSM2world … that works quite good for my purposes.

I just need to pick more places with multi-lane street junctions to find ways where to improve turn-lanes tagging. I will try to report when a concrete issue comes up.

BTW: Is there any active development planned for OSM2World?

Right now, I’m mentoring a great Google Summer of Code student who is adding some (optional) modern OpenGL features to OSM2World. This includes things like better antialiasing, shadows, a higher number of light sources, configurable lighting based on time of day, more realistic textures and so on. Those modifications are already on Github, and will be merged at the end of the GSoC coding period.

Peda is working on expanding the coverage of the maps.osm2world.org slippymap. It’s going slower than expected, but I believe the eventual result will be a big leap in update speeds and coverage.

Myself, I’m also working on some rather big changes - more realistic windows on buildings, fixing glitches with terrain and road junction rendering, and more detailed stairs, for example. Because the interim stages of these improvements break stuff, I will only publish them when I’m done.

Finally, there’s an effort underway to build a WebGL frontend for OSM2World. This task was started by another GSoC student, who has unfortunately left the program. I am still hoping to finish the project, though.

What’s going wrong here?
http://maps.osm2world.org/?h=128&view=N&zoom=15&lat=52.12009&lon=8.67884&layers=B0TTFF

Hi, there was a crash while rendering that tile. I’ll fix that.

Edit: Oh dear, seems like there were more tiles affected. Going to investigate.

a few random things, it seems that I can’t utilize the elevation feature, as it freezes the GUI…

also, If it says “writing file” and it’s still moving, does that mean it’s still working on it, and i should just leave it alone? it’s been writing file for 15min… lol

Can you tell me the settings you’re using for the elevation feature? Are you only using SRTM-based elevation, or have you enabled some features beyond that?

If you know how to do it, running OSM2World it from a command line could help, as some error messages are only visible there. (It will print a long log of other messages, too – but usually, only the last part before a crash or freeze is relevant.)

Hi Im having trouble trying to export. After I import the OSM file into OSM2World, the show me the models and terrains however they are not really accurate/proportionate they are slightly squashed to the middle, how can I fix this?

Hello,
I’m trying to use OSM2World, but I’m not used to command lines, bat files…So, after an hour trying to understand how it works, I open the windows powershell in the build-adds directory (is it right ?). But when I run the command :

./osm2world-windows.bat

, I get

java -Xmx2G -jar OSM2World.jar

and then

Error: Unable to access jarfile OSM2World.jar

. I tried to move the complete folder, and to use a different version, but the issue is always the same. What do I have wrong ?
Thank you …

Clementroux, If you have a build-adds directory present, that means you probably have obtained the source code from Github? If so, you would need to build OSM2World first. Do so by running the

ant jar

command in the root directory of the git repo, and make sure to move the resulting jar (from the ‘build’ folder) is in the same directory as the osm2world-windows.bat script, along with any textures and styles you want to use.

If you have no interest in compiling the software yourself (there’s no need to do so unless you want to alter the source code before compiling), I recommend that you download the latest build from http://osm2world.org/download/ instead. Extract the archive and run

./osm2world-windows.bat

from the command line in the resulting directory. (Even in that case, you may also want to obtain the textures and default style from the download page.)

Hi Tordanik,

Is it possible to add roof shape “Onion” in form which is used in Russia?

Currently is does not look like traditional Russian onion roof, but rather like a dome.

I admit there can be different forms of onion roof in different countries, may be this can be activated by a parameter or additional tags…

I can provide blender file or vertices coordinates, if it helps)

Yes, please :wink:

I guess Tordanik modeled it after Munich Frauenkirche, but there it was changed to dome https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/222512591/history, because F4 map renders more traditional onion :slight_smile:

The shape is indeed based on Bavarian architecture, although a slightly different style than the one found at Frauenkirche. The direct inspiration is St. Stephen’s Cathedral:

Using a configuration parameter would be easy for me to do, so adding the ability to set some default architectural style for these roofs is something I can definitely do.

But of course, I’d prefer if I was able to tell the difference from the tagging. Any ideas for that?