Download to Excel

I receive the following message when I try to open the downloaded file.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open map (7).osm because it is either
not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example), it was sent as an email
attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded)

I did not sent it as a email file, I just tried to download it.

What am I doing wrong over and over.

Thank you for your help.

.osm is a file containing computer mumbo-jumbo describing what on the map in coordinates and classes, it isn’t an image one can draw over.

If you need an image you can draw over, I would recommend to use http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Field_Papers

…post deleted as probably not helpful.

Xan_ua & nevw - Thank you for your help.

I am able to copy and paste to the Excel sheet and I am also able to copy and save as jpg, I use Greenshot to do both.
But to insert it into Excel I still have to copy and paste.
But is it possible to download the entire map at 10 m 50 th that has all of the detail?

Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible.

I had just hoped that if the map could be downloaded in its entirety to a Excel sheet that I could move around
the map like I can do on your site.
When I copy and paste it to Excel I will overlap it so I will have it all,
The Excel file I have the pasted sections of Vitry is 181 MB.

Thank you very much for your knowledge and help.

Well, Exel isn’t well known as a tool to work with maps, and never was designed to do so.

Xan_ua - Thank you for your reply.

You are correct, Excel was not designed for maps.
I should not be trying to do something with it that it was not meant for.

Thank you for your help.

Xan_ua - Would you please help and show me how to download the town of Vitry in whole or in sections
into a file that I could add pictures and other items to.
I would like all of the information on the map to show.
Is this possible?
I have looked at different download instructions and I don’t understand them.

Thank you for your help.

@ddhh:

What tools or webservices have you tried so far from the listing from my first answer?

stephen75 - Thank you for your reply.

I tried all of your suggestions and links.
I don’t want the print to paper option, I want it to a Excel or some kind of a file.

The more I read the more confused I become.

I think I will have to stay with what I have since I don’t understand on how to download the map to a file that
I can put pictures and other items on it.

Thank you for trying to help me.

wrong post

@ddhh:

Why do you stick to Excel?? That is a program to do calculations or data sorting!

Do you want to have a bitmap picture of a certain area in jpeg or gif or png format?

Then you want to load this picture in any program (so far Excel?) or Word or OpenOffice, add some other graphic or text?

We don’t give up until we get a solution for you!! :wink:

http://bigmap.osmz.ru/ - good tool to get .png of any area you want

stephan75 & XAN_ua - Thank you for your reply.

stephen75 - I do not have to have it on Excel, I just did not know of anything else that I could put pictures and other items of my
choosing on the map. One other point Excel can do almost anything you want to do, it far more then calculations or data sorting
that is why i like it so much, that’s why I always use it but you are correct it can not do everything.

XAN_75 - I tried the link that you suggested and was able to get it to a small area of the town of Vitry but then I did not know what to do with it after I had it, I tried the copy and paste, I was not sure on what to do with the small section I had.

I am 72 so maybe that’s my problem on trying to do the things you suggest.

Thank you for your help.

Hit “Enqueue”, wait 1-2 min., an then hit ''refresh@ in your browser (or f5, it should be the same). Then open resulting image in any image editor. like paint or photoshop or GIMP.

XAN_ua - Thank you for your reply.

I am on the “http://bigmap.osmz.ru/” site “BitMap 2” and I have Vitry-Le-France zoomed to highest it will go to show all of the streets.
I have iton the “Mapnik” option.
I do not see the “Enqueue” listed on the right side of the map options.
I must be in the wrong place.

Thank you for your help.

1. Zoom to desired location
  2. Select mapstyle on the right (you can easily switch back and forth, until you find one you like most)
  3. Hit “Submit” button
  4. Finetune area and zoom until you like the result - the resulting image would look exactly like this, with exeption of grey control are, of course.
  5. Press “Enqueue” typed in Bold in lower line of grey control area. It’s easy to miss even for experience internet users.
  6. In 2-3 minutes, hit ''refresh" in your browser (or F5, it should be the same). If the image isn’t ready yet, just hit ''refresh" in your browser (or F5, it should be the same) once more in 1-2 minutes.
  7. The date and time under “Generated images” is actually a link to you image.

XAN_ua - Thank you for your help.

I was able to download the map.

I am able to copy and paste to the Excel sheet and I am also able to copy and save as jpg…

Samsung Galaxy S6 case
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 leather cover

I just used the “PrtScn” function on the keyboard and I would copy the area on the “OpenStreetMap” that was shown on the screen and paste that into a excel sheet and and then move the map to show a different area and repeat the process again over and over until I had as much of the map as I wanted to copy.
I also use a program called “Greenshot” that allows me the option to copy and paste or save as a jpg.
The Excel sheet has a lot of pasted pictures on it which made it a very large file.

It’s kind of unorthodox method, but if it works for you - great :wink: