Predefined Map Selection Not Working?

When I go to the Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices page here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I click on Generic Routable (new style) to choose a map type, then I go to Choose a predefined country and click on United States under North America to choose a map.

When I do that nothing further ever happens. I understand from the Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual page that when I do that “…In response, the map will show which tiles have been selected by highlighting the selected tiles…”
but no tiles are ever selected on the map and nothing further ever happens.

I have checked the manual selection box, selected tiles, entered an email address, and received a notification email and then a ready for download email and successfully downloaded a map file.

But the tiles are never selected by the choices predefined choices.

Is this a normal behavior?

I am trying to download all the tiles for the United States as a windows.exe file so that I can use them under MapSource running under XP.

Thanks for any help,

Jack

It would probably help to mention the list of different browsers you have tried.

Only one, firefox.

I don’t like or use IE… At least not unless I have to…

jack

OK, I am getting a little smarter…

Firefox will work but I cannot select the United States as a single map because it would be too large to work on any Garmin device.

I can select states but only one state at a time and when I do that it’s tiles will be highlighted.

So to get all of the United States as tiles for use in MapSource I will have to do it in two or more smaller selections (approx 2 GB is the max).

Jack

When I requested a map (for use with MapSource) that was over 2GB in size there was no option to download a windows.exe type file when the download authorization email came. I could only choose to download only these files:

osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip (for Garmin portable devices)
osm_generic_new_tiles.zip (for Linux and another use)

So it appears that I cannot install all the tiles for the United States into MapSource as a single map. Is that right?

Jack

There is a section on this in FAQ which explains a way to do it https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl#Frequently_Asked_Questions
(but I’m not sure if it is what you want or it works as you require in mapsource)

You may be able to put the gmapsupp.img file from the osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip (for Garmin portable devices) in a Garmin directory on a usb drive and see if MapSource can use it from there.

That does not work for Mapsource nevw.
You can combine those two big mapsets with this tool.

Or you can try to make a big selection (up to 4 Gb) and download the Mac OSX version (gmap), see the FAQ

Thank you very much! I have finally figured this out I think.

I have all the USA map tiles downloaded in three groups (I could have gotten them in two if necessary) and the Combiner is going make a single map out of them.

I have not been interested in getting the gmapsupp.img files because I know that once I have the maps under MapSource I can always make a selection there to send the maps to an attached device, or even a folder on the hard drive when I have a device attached, and that will give me any gmapuspp.img files I need for my two 76Cx handhelds and my zumo.

I will follow up here to report success just to help any others that may stumble into this same question.

Thanks again,

Jack

You might be interested by the work of Dave Hansen who compiles a map of the whole US on a monthly basis. See https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2015-May/014829.html for his announcement on the US mailing list this month.

Thanks for the info on that, that will definitely save me some time and effort as far as getting maps up dated and in files of more manageable size for the devices. I was kind of wondering if there was not an effort like that somewhere, I had not found that site yet.

Jack

I followed through with ligfietser’s suggestion and successfully combined all the tiles to install a map of the USA to MapSource. Thank you for the suggestion!

I manually selected and then downloaded all of the tiles for the continental 48 states and also Alaska and Hawaii. I did that in three groups, East, Central, and West, to stay under the 2GB limit. As I downloaded those I saved them with names that identified them as the East, Central, and West selections.

I downloaded each of the three as the windows.exe, tiles, and gmapsupp and tiles.

I followed the recommendations on the Combiner web page and combined the three osm_generic_new_tiles.zip archives:

http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/openfietsmap/OSM_Combiner/readme.html

There was a little fumbling around to get the three zip files combined. I ran the program once and it reported an error at the finish and referred me to an error log that I could not find. So I ran it again and got the same error again. But there was an install.exe file and a lot of *.img files in the destination folder and I ran install.exe and it installed the maps. I started MapSource and the maps were there in the maps choices list with the name (OSM USA) that I had chosen during the install process.

I looked at several familiar to me areas from Maine to Alaska and everything looked right. I added some waypoints as I did that and then made some follow road routes and that was all working right too. I made and route from Ellsworth, Maine to Sonoma, CA and the route was 100% with no breaks or straight line segments in it. And it was right on the money for distance and intelligent routing.

Now that I am aware of Dave Hansen’s page I see that the map I have has almost the same tile selections as his 4000 MB file, you can see map tiles that will select that by choosing the 4000MB-lon_-170.00_to_160.97.2015-05-06.gmapsupp.img.kml map file on his page:

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2015-05-06/kml/kml.html

Jack

@ ligfietser

I want to thank you again! And I think you have a major involvement with the Combiner application. The error I got when I used that, if it is of interest to you, was the following:

//error message quoted//
Time started: Sat May 23 16:40:35 EDT 2015
Number of MapFailedExceptions: 0
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocate(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.encode(Unknown Source)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.srt.Sort.createSortKey(Sort.java:182)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.srt.Sort.createSortKey(Sort.java:271)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.Mdr7.preWriteImpl(Mdr7.java:170)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MdrSection.preWrite(MdrSection.java:129)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.writeSections(MDRFile.java:308)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.write(MDRFile.java:247)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.MdrBuilder.onFinish(MdrBuilder.java:338)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.endOptions(Main.java:575)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgsReader.readArgs(CommandArgsReader.java:128)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.mainStart(Main.java:134)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:105)
An error has occurred. Check the log below.
//end of error message//

The above is from the first time I ran it. I ran it again, setting the memory usage up to 1400 from 500 and
got this error the second time I ran it:

//error message quoted//
Time started: Sat May 23 17:03:40 EDT 2015
Number of MapFailedExceptions: 0
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.srt.Sort.createSortKey(Sort.java:196)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.srt.Sort.createSortKey(Sort.java:271)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.Mdr7.preWriteImpl(Mdr7.java:170)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MdrSection.preWrite(MdrSection.java:129)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.writeSections(MDRFile.java:308)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.app.mdr.MDRFile.write(MDRFile.java:247)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.MdrBuilder.onFinish(MdrBuilder.java:338)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.endOptions(Main.java:575)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgsReader.readArgs(CommandArgsReader.java:128)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.mainStart(Main.java:134)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:105)
An error has occurred. Check the log below.
//end of error message//

I could not find an “error log below”, are the above the errors and log it was referring to?

And after the second run I ran the install.exe file and it installed the combined maps and they worked perfectly under MapSource as I reported above.

I am not demanding an explanation, I just thought you might be interested in this. And if there is another forum where you would prefer me to report it at I can do that.

Thanks again!

Jack

Windows XP SP 3
Java v7u79
Acer Aspire One Notebook
2 GB RAM

Dave Hansen’s page and others are listed on the OSM Map On Garmin/Download page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

Yeah, I had looked at that page before but the link there takes you to the FTP page or whatever it is and not the page that shows you the what the map will cover so I could not figure out what I needed from the listings there. It is this link:

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/

escada posted the link for this page that shows you the tiles for each of the files and that was easier to understand:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2015-May/014829.html

Another thing that I realize now is that Dave’s page is for the gmapsupp files for devices and not tiles or *.img files I wanted for MapSource. So unless there is some way to extract the tiles from the gmapsupp files they are not what I need for MapSource.

Man is this a little complicated? Or it is just me?

Jack

Jack, the error log means your pc ran out of memory, this tool needs at least 4gb ram to create the search index for such big mapsets.
If the search index is important, you either have to make the mapset smaller, or use the separate mapsets for searching adresses, pois etc. If you use Dave’s gmapsupp.img’s to combine, there are some necessary ovm*.img missing that are needed to create a big overview map. So that means you see nothing but a blank map of the usa until you zoom in far enough. Thats why I recommend to use the tiles.zip file. For the Garmin device this is not an issue because it has its own basemap.

I did use the tiles and even with the error it produced a very nice and useful map. I’m going do it again on my desktop PC and that may have enough RAM to avoid the error.

When you are finished with the Combiner you have a folder with all the image files and and install.exe and uninstall.exe apps. Can you just copy that folder, put it on another MapSource install, and run the install.exe to install it again?

Jack

Yep, you can move the complete folder elsewhere and run install.exe again. Only make sure Mapsource is not opened if you do this.

OK, I have two places where I would use so that will be handy.

I have another question. When I use MapSource I have chosen to display Lat/Long as:

Grid: Lat/Lon hddd.dddd°
Datum: WGS 84

The names of DaveH’s pre-compiled downloads express Longitude differently, a typical file name is like:

500MB-lon_-76.27_to_160.97.2015-05-19.gmapsupp.kml

What is the name of the Grid that Dave is using? I can’t seem to find it if it is one of the choices in the MapSource Edit > Preferences > Position menu.

If I had MapSource set to display the same it would track with his file names and let me better understand the choices.

Jack

I have no idea, better ask it Dave:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2015-May/014829.html