Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Try leaving the city field empty when searching for addresses.

I tried to just add street and leave city blank and it only comes up with maffett st Wilkes-Barre Pa . Can someone add Plains or make the connection? On other GPS devices it is called Plains Township, Pa. I’m not sure of the process but Plains and Wilkes-Barre Pa are 2 different towns/cities and both have a Maffett st.

Thanks
Frank

Your GPS cannot find this street in Plains because the administrative boundaries for Plains on OSM are incomplete or missing.
The map needs this data to assign Maffet street to the correct place. It can find it in Wilkes-Barre because here the administrative boundaries are mapped in OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/187994
So in order to improve the search function, the boundaries for Plains must be entered on OSM. Maybe all the boundaries are already there, but none is assigned to Plains as relation.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found a couple videos on YouTube but nothing on adding or assigning existing boundaries. I’m not sure if ill figure this out but I’ll give it a go.

Dear Lambertus.

Thank you for your effort. This is an awesome tool for those of us that are not experts and need an easy way to get OMS maps in our Garmin devices.
I have been making some improvements to the Vietnam OSM maps lately, and I can´t wait to see how they are presented in my GPS.

When are you planning to make the next update of the map?

Thanks again.

Juan

Hi! This service is wonderful! I have a question.
I downloaded the set of tiles for Oman in form of img file, I uploaded it successfully on my Garmin, and I can search street in the capital city - Muscat.
But cities of a whole region on the eastern part of Oman are not available for a search address. Such cities are perfectly found in openstreetmap. Here an example with the city of Ibra

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/221243242#map=9/22.6896/58.5470

What am I doing wrong on my Garmin?

Thank you in advance
Daniele

An update is running, the two generic maps are already available, the openfietsmap update is still running

The Garmin maps by garming.osm.nl use a Latin1 character encoding, so there is only Roman-like texts in the map. Since the website does not have Arabic transliteration capabilities, only places and streets with translated names are correctly included in the maps.

@Lambertus,
Could you manage to point your scripts to the style sheets on Github? (The former styles on Google code are not longer maintained and will be removed by Google sooner or later)

Thanks to Harry vd Wolf and OSM France I have uploaded the French open address database BANO. Can you merge this with the planet OSM data (same procedure as the Belgium address data)?

I tried, but the path names within the typ and style directories have changed and require more changes in my code. It took too long in my opinion and thus started the update using the Google Code repository.

Yes.

I usually download the Mac Pakage to install OSM Garmin maps on my Win computer with BaseCamp. It works fine, thanks to everybody involved in this project.

Then I use MapInstall (from BaseCamp) to install maps on my Montana device. This works fine as well. The search function works, too.

On the other site, if I simply copy the gmapsupp.img on my device as recomended, the search function doesn’t work.

I checked this right now: I’ve searched an address in Prag, the capital of Czech Republic, on my Montana. The city of Prag was not found! The same search with the same map in BaseCamp was ok. After this I’ve reinstalled the map with MapInstall from BaseCamp (install map on SD-card) - and everything was good.

I believe the instructions on this site should be updated. A lot of people complain about search function, maybe because they simply copy the gmapsupp.img instead of using MapInstall.

No, this should work normally. Sounds more like an index problem of the gmapsupp.img. Did you try the latest map release of this week, and which map exactly?

Yes, I think so, too.

I’ve tried it several times with different maps in past one or two years. It is allways the same. That’s why I allways install maps first in BaseCamp and then from BaseCamp on my device.

I’ve checked the copy way a a few days ago only to see, if someting changed.

I’ve also seen, that the downloded gmapsupp.img and the gmapsupp.img after BaseCamp installation on the device have different size.

Tested the map of Czech Republic with the gmapsupp.img version, I can find Prague or Praha or an address so I dont know why this doesn’t work for your device. It is true that the gmapsupp version produced with Basecamp or Mapsource is different and might have a better search index, because the gmapsupp.img from garmin.openstreetmap.nl is generated with mkgmap software. This is software is developed by ‘reverse engineering’ because Garmin doesn’t provide the code for its maps, and therefore it could not produce an optimal search index. But anyway, its not true that it can’t find anything or “does not work”.

Yes, you are right. I mean with “does not work” it does not work 100%. I can find some places, but some not.

I don’t know, if this is important: I don’t use one country maps. I work with manual tile selection (e.g. a part of Germany + Czech + Austria).

And the described behavior is definitiv true at least on my Montana, and it is reproducible.

It does not matter, if somebody has this problem, the solution is the installation from BaseCamp.

Ok, I understand, thanks for your input. The manual tile selection has a different processing regarding the compilation of a gmapsupp.img so yes it can be important. Could you verify if for instance the Czech map alone produce a different search result?
In order to test it correctly, make sure there are no other maps on your device. Even if they are not activated, those map indexes will be used (and possibly disorder the search) by the device, so rename the extension .img temporarily.

Yes, the Czech one country map works fine. I’ve tried 7 different addresses to search - founded! We are a step further. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your attention.

Thanks! We’ll have look at the combined map, maybe the search index is missing there. Lambertus, can you check if --index is used?

@Lambertus, the search index is fine, and the search index of a big custom map too (Monviso reported me it is working for him too) so I guess those problems were caused by either experimental mkgmap versions or missing parameters in the upload scripts which seem corrected now.

Is the 2015-03-29 version of the Garmin map broken? I tried it out yesterday and it just didn’t work. The Garmin went back to its built in base mapping. I put back the previous map version I was using and the Garmin works again.

Dave

Which part of the osm universe do you speak for?