Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks for reporting Marty. There should be a basemap (23442000.img) inside of the osm_generic_tiles.zip but it is missing. Also the *_mdr.img is missing, so I’m afraid that something went wrong in the generating process. The mapsource exe version does contain those files, but I’m not sure if you can open this on your system.

Lambertus, can you check why the osm_generic_tiles.zip dont contain those basemap and index files anymore?

The commandline for the zip compilation was not complete (probably has been this way for a long time). Should be fixed now for any new country map that is being generated (not for all those already existing country maps!).

Hi All!

I just used http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl to build a new map for my garmin (great tool thanks!)

However, there are bike routes located on OSM that do not appear in the new map.

I know this because these are new routes that were added a few days ago. (note the routes are already on OSM)

Is there a delay in the map update for http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl - or is there another reason for this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

(sorry if this has been answered before - i searched but did not see a similar topic)

The map is updated every week or so. You can see the date just under the big blue map on the web site.

Ah, I understand now, thanks much!

I bought a Garmin Edge Touring in California. I am able to download the cycle map for California and everything seems to work. But when I download the cycle map for France I don’t get any POIs and am having trouble even seeing the map. Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Address search is not working at all with any maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl on Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT.
With the same SD card / same map file plugged into a Garmin Nuvi 3790LMT the address search works normally (but the menus are totally different)
I raised this this issue on help.openstreetmap.org and one other person reported same issue with another model: Nuvi 2555LMT.
I tried with different maps, same thing. The map is displayed correctly but address search does not find anything, not even the city or country. For instance I have the map of Switzerland activated, I enter part of the street name, and the autocomplete proposes the correct full name of the street, but then it says it cannot find it. Then I start entering Switzerland in the “Look in…” field, it autocompletes “Switzerland” and then it says “Sorry, we could not find Switzerland”.
If I manually zoom on the map to the address I am looking for, I see it, I can put my finger and set the map location as a destination and it will take me there.
Obviously this is not something I want to do when driving on the highway.
I have the latest software updates, but it does not make a difference anyway.
The device works normally with the Garmin pre-loaded North America map.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Looks like a particular issue of this nuvi25xx, given the fact that the same SD card and map work on another nüvi.
I’m afraid Garmin won’t listen because they dont support 3rd party OSM map makers like the mkgmap generated maps.
You could try to check if there is a faulty map or another error on your device with Javawa Device manager.

Interesting, I don’t think there is a search problem for this model with maps generated by cgpsmapper, which we use here with NZOpenGPS. This makes me think there is a problem with the compiler.

Hi all, Nice work here! I have a question as a new user of OSM’s. I tried to enter my city/town which is “Plains Pa 18705” . Specifically my home address which is Maffett st. Plains Pa don’t come up and the only Maffett st that comes up is in Wilkes-Barre Pa which is my neighboring city. That’s 2 streets with the same name within 6 miles. Is there something I can do to help map this into a future version? Just curious to the process. I have started mapping some streets here in town with iD OpenStreetMap editor.

Thanks
Frank
ou8it

Welcome to the forum, Frank.

I have figured out that you are in the US and that Pa stands for Pennsylvania. (Many of us here are not in the US…)

I’m not sure what you entered your search strings into, but on the OSM page searching for “Plains” brings up your town as the 1st result. Entering “Plains Pa” mysteriously shows me Moffet St, Plains, PA. So, both are in the system. If you are searching in your GPS, do you enter a city first? Try searching for the street without entering a city.

If you have made additions to OSM in your are they won’t show up until the next map update cycle. The date of the last update is shown under the map on the web page.

Regards,
Peter.

Hi and Thanks Peter, When I search for Plains or Plains Township on my Gamin 1300 device I type Plains and as soon as i hit a “space” after the “s” in Plains, it shows 4 towns starting with Plains.

My process is :
press “where to”, press address, spell city, I enter Plains and put a space and get :

Plains Assembly, Texas
Plains Junction, Pennsylvania
Plains Junction, Texas
Plains Mill, Virginia

(I am using the 3-4 2015 release.)

If I go to “where to/cities” It will find Plains Pa. As far as entering Maffett st first it only comes up with Maffett St Wilkes-Barre which is 6 miles away or so.

Thanks
Frank

Try leaving the city field empty when searching for addresses.

I tried to just add street and leave city blank and it only comes up with maffett st Wilkes-Barre Pa . Can someone add Plains or make the connection? On other GPS devices it is called Plains Township, Pa. I’m not sure of the process but Plains and Wilkes-Barre Pa are 2 different towns/cities and both have a Maffett st.

Thanks
Frank

Your GPS cannot find this street in Plains because the administrative boundaries for Plains on OSM are incomplete or missing.
The map needs this data to assign Maffet street to the correct place. It can find it in Wilkes-Barre because here the administrative boundaries are mapped in OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/187994
So in order to improve the search function, the boundaries for Plains must be entered on OSM. Maybe all the boundaries are already there, but none is assigned to Plains as relation.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found a couple videos on YouTube but nothing on adding or assigning existing boundaries. I’m not sure if ill figure this out but I’ll give it a go.

Dear Lambertus.

Thank you for your effort. This is an awesome tool for those of us that are not experts and need an easy way to get OMS maps in our Garmin devices.
I have been making some improvements to the Vietnam OSM maps lately, and I can´t wait to see how they are presented in my GPS.

When are you planning to make the next update of the map?

Thanks again.

Juan

Hi! This service is wonderful! I have a question.
I downloaded the set of tiles for Oman in form of img file, I uploaded it successfully on my Garmin, and I can search street in the capital city - Muscat.
But cities of a whole region on the eastern part of Oman are not available for a search address. Such cities are perfectly found in openstreetmap. Here an example with the city of Ibra

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/221243242#map=9/22.6896/58.5470

What am I doing wrong on my Garmin?

Thank you in advance
Daniele

An update is running, the two generic maps are already available, the openfietsmap update is still running

The Garmin maps by garming.osm.nl use a Latin1 character encoding, so there is only Roman-like texts in the map. Since the website does not have Arabic transliteration capabilities, only places and streets with translated names are correctly included in the maps.

@Lambertus,
Could you manage to point your scripts to the style sheets on Github? (The former styles on Google code are not longer maintained and will be removed by Google sooner or later)

Thanks to Harry vd Wolf and OSM France I have uploaded the French open address database BANO. Can you merge this with the planet OSM data (same procedure as the Belgium address data)?