Google aerial imagery vote - *please help*

Google has a really enlightened guy called the Data Liberation Front. His role is to make it easy for people to get their data out of Google - rather than it being locked in.

Usually, people are locked in by the lack of an export feature, or an obscure file format. In mapping, people are locked in by licences.

In Google Maps’ case, you can create your own work by tracing over aerial imagery. But you can’t use this work elsewhere, because of the licences and terms of use. (The phrase “derived work” usually crops up around now.)

Google could fix this by saying that tracing from their imagery is ok - just like Yahoo have done. On my blog, I looked into the legalities of this and concluded there’s nothing in law stopping them from doing so. It’s entirely their decision.

So - please vote for the Data Liberation Front to fix this!

Click here, sign in with a Google Account, and tick the box. And tell your friends. (And your local mailing lists/forum!)

It’s doing well now, it was at 94 when I added my vote. 250 now!

Did it too. 495 now!

I also voted. :slight_smile:

It would be awesome to have the hires Google imagery to work with, I’m just a bit scared to get a severe attack of RSI when we can…

Did anything ever come of this?

I was wondering if Google have been asked the question directly. Does anyone know?

Steve

There was a response by Ed Parsons which muddied the waters, then another Google rep was asked directly at a conference and his answer was quite bizarre, claiming that there had been high level talks between OSM and Google. No-one can remember this, however!

In short, I doubt it’s happening any time soon. A shame but not unexpected.