Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I’m getting some questions about installing more then one custom map alongside each other on Windows (BaseCamp). I’m not too familiar with this process, so I’d like feedback on the workflow so I can update the wiki FAQ.

This is what I’ve done:

1. request a custom map using the website (OSM generic routable) and download the Windows installer.
  2. install the custom map
  3. run JaVaWa’s GMTK
    3.1) select the map named ‘OSM generic routable’ and goto menu ‘Extra’ → ‘Change map name and ID’
  4. GMTK will show a form and the following values are changed:
    4.1) Family ID: enter a unique number, e.g.: 2001
    4.2) Name on computer: enter a good description of the map, e.g.: ‘OSM Central America’
    4.3) Name on device: enter a good description, e.g.: ‘OSM Central America’
    4.4) Folder name: enter a good (unique) folder name, e.g.: ‘OSM Central America’
    4.5) Click on the ‘modify’ button

For every new custom map the same sequence of events is performed, each time using a new unique ID and name.

This process seems straightforward enough to me. However, when I install the second custom map, the map installer will warn that there is already a map installed. This warning can safely be ignored but it is confusing to a lot of users. What can be done to prevent this warning?

I think the problem is that GMTK doesnt remove the map installer when updating the map data.
So there are two options, adjust GMTK or adjust the custom map procedure by letting the user enter a unique FID and name before generating the map. Maybe contact Javawa by pm to discuss this?

Is it possible for you to provide the maps in two encodings? This way you have maintained compatibility with older devices while the users who need Unicode maps can download them from here. Unicode support is a serious issue and affects the bulk of OSM data being developed in Asia. Imagine local street names in Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, … Older and incompatible devices are unusable for these regions anyways.

Free Unicode maps won’t work in newer devices like Edge 1000, GPSMAP 64, some recent models of nuvi. It looks like Garmin decided, that all Unicode maps should be digitally signed, which can’t be done with 3-rd party tools.

Hi,
first of all: Thanks for the great maps!
I recently tried the “new style” on my Nüvi 1255. During daytime everything is very nice, but the night-mode looks ugly - there are many black areas along with even more almost white areas. Can I do something about this, maybe using a dedicated typ file?

Another remark: I’d appreciate a style with a few less details, e.g. I don’t need every single house in an urban area rendered. This would help with older and slower devices like mine.

The night mode is totally undeveloped so any volunteers who want to improve this feel free to help.
You can edit the typ file with tools like typviewer and typwiz.
The typ file you can find in the metadata folder of the download link.
In order to change the typ file of the map on your device, you can use typchanger

Mueschel, just set your device to day mode only and it will be fine. You may want to turn down the brightness at night…

typviewer seems to be a fairly easy tool to change colors. But, typchanger doesn’t work at all. After adding the files and clicking ‘change’, it just displays ‘Done’, but there is absolutely no change made to the map file. Do you have any advice how to debug this or another tool to accomplish the task?

Dont know why it doesnt work, maybe contact Javawa or try Popej’s gmaptool?

Thanks, gmaptool works fine. I changed some of the colors for night mode. For sure the result is not perfect, e.g. I did not manage to remove the white outline of paths and unpaved roads in night mode - my device seems to ignore this setting. Anyways, the result seems much more pleasing than the default colors. I uploaded the changed typ-file in case anyone is interested: http://osm.mueschelsoft.de/24276.typ

Great:

The issue I reported on 13th of November (http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=463274#p463274) regarding address (house number) searches seems to be solved. In new downloaded maps, the address search really finds the relevant house number in its place.

Thanks once more

Sorry if I go back to your post of 2 weeks ago.
I wonder if you were referring to a generic update of the maps or to an update to solve the problem I asked about in my post, that is searching addresses.
I tried Garmux, a script that creates maps using a search index that includes also the last word in the name tag and it works fine. The code is similar to http://www.i-nis.com.ar/osm/garmin.

Thank you
maxx

No Maxx that is still not implemented, although mkgmap developers are working on it as well (see this thread).
Lambertus was replying post #2280.

I’m not sure if this kind of problem is supposed to be discussed in this thread, if I’m wrong suggest where to post it.
I downloaded the generic new file of Italy last week, gmapsupp.img and installed it on my garmin nuvi 205.
Yesterday I entered a destination for my wife. Unfortunately I didn’t check the path created by the nuvi and after a few minutes she called me upset because the navigator sent her to the wrong highway.

At this Osrm link you can see the right track: http://osrm.at/atS
This is the track suggested by nuvi: http://osrm.at/atV

I tried the same start-destination track with different navigators and only the nuvi 205 gives the wrong result.
OSM data seem to be ok.

What happened?

Thank you
maxx

Looking at the OSM data I can’t see any problem or any reason why any navigator should route you the long way. I have seen this kind of behaviour before and suspect it’s a firmware bug in the Nuvi, especially since you say that others work ok.

First step: check that your firmware is up-to-date. You should have the latest version loaded.

Also, check that you don’t have any other maps loaded covering the same area, e.g. Garmin CNNT. If you do have one, make sure it is unchecked (disabled) and if that is already the case you should disable it completely by renaming the map file and re-test.

Failing all that, you can try reporting this to Garmin, but since we are dealing with non-Garmin maps don’t hold your breath.

Cheers,
Peter.

Also, check to see if the settings on your Nuvi are preventing use of tollroads or other “avoidances” (U-turns, car pool lanes, etc.). I always un-check all of these in the routing profile on my Montana and then after the route is computed, check it carefully to see if there’s something I want to avoid or want to use a different highway. I don’t want the Montana to 'think" for me because it often makes bad decisions.

Cheers,

Dave

Please bear in mind that every GPS device could have a bad GPS signal and therefore calculate its position way off from the spot where you actually are. This could have caused those unwanted detours, especially on motorways with different lanes and lock on road on. So one should always double check the road signs when riding or driving when the Garmin suggest you should go to direction X, NEVER follow its advice without thinking.

The firmware is the same that I used with the previous data file (one month old).

Only the OSM map was checked.

All the usual avoidances values checked, nothing changed from the last file I downloaded.

The problem is there even if I “simulate” the route when gps is off.

The problem is even worse than what I initially reported using the osrm routing.
After the detour and the “u-turn” the route is not what is in the osrm link I posted. The route leaves the highway and follows an almost straight line to destination but there are no straight roads. I suspect the file is corrupt. I’ll try the download it again and I’ll let you know.

Thank you
maxx

Hi, my name is Robert;

I´m gone through this process and modified the names (computer/device/folder).
At the next installation of a custom map this renamed custom map was overwritten and did not work (it was not listed in Mapsource) anymore.
Then I found out, that in the windows registry (W7/64) the key - after the renaming - still is “OSM generic routable” (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\OSM generic routable). And so the new installation overwrites the previous installation.

I also renamed the registry keys in uninstall information, then everything looked good: in Mapsource and in W7 everywhere was “my map name”.
But at the next installation of a custom map “my map name” disappeared from Mapsource and a new “OSM generic routable” was shown. The funny thing is, after deinstalling this new “OSM generic routable”, “my map name” was back again!?!

I dont know wat goes wrong here, but for me it is not possible to install more than one custom map…

Robert

Would it be possible to ask for download of entire continent? In my particular case I am looking for a South America map, currently downloading Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile as separate maps, but have problems sending them to the device as they become too large. There are extremely much duplicated information in such a selection, i.e. Brazil also include most of Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, a large part of Suriname, Guiana, a good portion of Venezuela, Colombia and Peru. Argentina almost all of Chile, a large part of Paraguay and Uruguay and some of Bolivia and Brazil, Chile extends somewhat into Argentina and a little bit in Peru.

My map installer complains of disc space as each of the maps I try to install combined are a little larger than the memory available, but I believe that combined if you ignore the duplicated tiles there should be enough space.

Another question is, for devices with limited memory, or people needing to update frequently on slow lines, what about smaller divisions, doesn’t North America and Europe allow per-state or per-region downloads? What about Brazil and Argentina, would it be possible to download these in separate pieces for each state?