Finally Solved: Borders

Hi,
I hope to be in the right place to ask, and that this topic hasn’t been posted before (couldn’t find something).

Assume you have a border of two municipalities/cities.
The border is along a line of nodes.
Is it allowed that the nodes are as well in the relation of municipality1 and municipality2?

Thanks 4 any answer

Sure, because that line forms the boundary. It wouldn’t be right to have a little gap of territory which isn’t within any municipal boundary. The exception to that rule, of course, is where a gap exists in the real world. :slight_smile:

TNX for your quick reply

But your question was for the nodes, and no, you normally wouldn’t put the nodes into any boundary (/multipolygon) relation at all.

If you really meant to say “ways”, then what Alex said is correct.

No trouble. :slight_smile:

To be fair, he said a line of nodes which I interpreted, perhaps wrongly I suppose, as a “way” in OSM parlance. :slight_smile:

Erhm, dont quite catch it.

I make up a border out of some nodes.
I put these nodes into relation A which is the border of MunicipalityA
Additionally some of these nodes belong to the border of MunicipalityB (Relation B)
What has this got to do with ways?

<double posting due to network hang … - deleted>

A way is a collection of nodes in sequence.
The way should belong to he relation, not the individual nodes which comprise the way.

But if there is no way (in a sense of road). Do I have to make a way out of the nodes that represent the “border” and then add the way to the relation that actually IS the border?

Yes. Of course, you don’t actually have to use relations to describe your municipality but it is preferred.

Tag the way with boundary=administrative and an appropriate admin_level value.
Put the municipal data in the relation that describes your municipality.

^^^^^^^^^ Tag the WAY!!
To make my point clear - In my point of view it is a relation that is made up from nodes:

the yellowish line is the border, it’s actually just 9 nodes.

Or should I ‘combine’ these nodes into a WAY. And then create a relation that has just one member → the WAY. This will be the border of the northern town and then again I add this WAY to the borders of the ‘southern’ town.

Tag the way, indeed!

Yes, borders are ways, not collections of nodes. Don’t think of a ‘way’ in OSM parlance as a road. A way in OSM is the name for any linear feature, including boundaries.

Where 2 administrative regions ‘touch’, they share a common way. Each region gets its own relation, with the shared way as a member in each of these relations. In the end, you would build up the entire boundary around an administrative region this way.

Thanks for clearing this