Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Still no update! :(. You must be busy. I totally understand! Hope to receive it soon!

Relax, the maps are being uploaded since yesterday evening which takes 13 hours with my current internet connection (1 Mbit uplink).

Edit: the upload is finished.

This version has some new features: better address search (autocompletion support using the MDR file) and a new MapSource installer (Mkgmap’s built-in one, instead of my own). The maps now have a family id and are installed in another directory. I hope it doesn’t introduce new bugs.

It’s probably best to cleanup previously installed OpenStreetMap routable world maps first before you install the new one

AWESOME!!! SWEET! You are doing an awesome job! I’m still new with this, so please forgive me!

No problem, just remember we’re all volunteers and spare time is scarce for everyone :slight_smile:

The gmapi build script for (MacOSX) RoadTrip now also includes the mdr files that are needed to get address search working. Feedback welcome.

I am new to the Mac and to RoadTrip. I just downloaded a map from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php today (17 November 2009) and installed it on Roadtrip 2.0.2. When you say “address search” I am presuming you mean “Find” and then select “Address” from the Find submenu.

Well, I did that but I get a popup menu saying “This map product does not support address search”. Is that of any help to you?

I am running OSX 10.6.2

If you want the map’s nsi info I have it.

Can you update your post with the url you received in the email? Thanks.

Is this what you mean:

http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/11-11-2009/d1ea1591eb72c1ee927da7cf9f423e84/

Yep, thanks!

The roadtrip file in this directory does not have the index information added. Could it be, that it was generated before the updated gmapi script was in place? (The date on the file is 16-Nov-2009 12:24.)

Cheers.

Hmm, I downloaded it and saw the mdr directory in the file so I assumed it was in place. But I now see from my previous post that I updated the gmapibuilder script later, should have spotted that myself. Thanks for having a look at it though.

I just generated a new map and tested it. The Roadtrip files were correctly generated with the proper index files. I assume then that the previous files were indeed generated before the updated script was in place.

There may, ahem, be other problems with the address search, but not with the gmapi generation script. :wink:

Cheers.

Thanks Clinton for testing!

I’ve made a small upgrade to the toolchain and upped the ‘version’ by one day: A new Splitter version (Thanks Chris Miller!) now makes it possible to do recursive generation of the tiles without breaking the inter-tile routing as was the case for the last ~2 months. If you zoom in on NorthWest Europe you might notice that the tiles do not overlap anymore. If anyone still experiences inter-tile routing: please report. The same OSM data is used for 12-11-09 as was used for 11-11-09.

The next update will use the updated Splitter for America also.

Any New Zealanders here that use these routable maps?

I have the Garmin/Navteq maps on my device for North America and Europe, but as luck would have it, I will be making a trip to New Zealand this spring (autumn in NZ, rather!). As this trip will definitely be a one-off, I am wondering if people have had much luck using these maps for finding places and routing between major points in NZ.

In Canada, the OSM maps are still very much a work in progress and can’t be relied on for routing at this point. Still fun to use and find disconnected nodes to fix, etc. Although I’m not opposed to just buying the Garmin map for NZ, especially if it’ll be necessary, but I thought I’d ask some opinions of the OSM community before dropping $100 on a map that I’ll be using for 6 days.

Any info from New Zealanders or anyone who has used these maps there would be greatly appreciated.

Well you should ofcourse never soly rely on a gps, because batteries can get empty or the thing gets lost or whatever. Preparation and a 20 bucks standard highway map will help you get along quite nicely. This is what I do anyway because getting a general overview of an area from a 4" screen and slow processor is no sinecure.

Just browsing around New Zealand doesn’t give me a feel that coverage is very good, but I could be wrong as New Zealand is way less crowded then Western Europe. Your future contributions for NZ are very welcome ofcourse :wink:

You may wish to check the NZ Open GPS project, which appears to produce a high quality routable map:

http://nzopengps.org/

Cheers

Just downloaded 63240036.img from your site. That is a China tile. Inspected with wordpad it shows a lot of english text but also a lot of questionmarks ??? ???.

Then I downloaded the data.osm for that area and ‘discovered’ that nearly all 'place’s which names were not in english but in chinese had an extra tag name:zh_py.

This name:zh_py is like int_name and name:en and contains alway english ansi.

Suggestion: you could add this tag to your name tag list.

Yes, I can do that.
Edit: done, just in time for the update.

hi Lambertus. Glad to have found such site discussing about garmin maps.
i have a garmin 255 and wanted to install the map of cyprus. have noticed in my unit that only the major roads are available.
how can i install openstreet maps on my unit?

Select Cyprus on the website map, enter your email address and click the button. The site will confirm your request (or return an error).

If successful, you will receive an email with an URL. Open the URL and discover a few files.

I’m not familiar with the Nuvi 255, but here is some generic information on how to get the map on your device.