Worldwide routable Garmin maps: Missing/incorrect feature requests

Right, well done!

On the face of it your Nuvi seems to have a problem with roundabouts compiled with mkgmap, but cgpsmapper created maps and Garmin’s own (naturally) are ok. 1 attempt is not proof, of course, but I think there is a lead that can be followed - but not here. This forum is for tweaking the appearance/functionality of the maps produced by Lambertus.

May I suggest you take your findings to the mkgmap mailing list?

Kind regards,
Peter.

hi,

I’m new to OSM for Garmin.

I downloaded the new style routeable maps for my local area (Washington DC) and use it both on Garmin Montana 600 and GarminXT on a Nokia E71 symbian phone.

Problems I’ve discovered with New Style routable maps:
on my Garmin Montana, the maps features such as parks, school fields appear as dark patch on the map in night mode, this makes these area features less visible at night. also the OSM maps seems in conflict with some other Garmin format maps such as MyTrails. with MyTrails enabled, OSM map is not visible in some areas.

On GarminXT with Nokia E71 symbian phone, some of the fonts for rivers, bays displayed as double typefaced fonts, this makes the names for these map features hard to read.

Hi, welcome on this forum.
Less important features that appear less visible is imho intended on night mode to make it less distracting.
If you like to change that, there are two options

• turn on the daylight mode
  • Customize the map colours with a typ file editor. You can give every map item the colour that you like.

I dont know if Garmin XT supports a typ file, if it does you can optimize the map for your Nokia as well.

Yes, a general rule of thumb with all garmins is do not enable multiple maps, because it will indeed cause conflicts.

I generally downloads the Brazilian maps from garmin.osm.nl and have encountered two problems:

1. In the Generic Routable style the tile named BR Vila Velha seems corrupt, it gives only a white tile without no roads, no rivers, no ocean

2. In the Generic Routable (new style) it seems like the maxspeed tag is ignored, missed, omitted. I get generic speeds for highway types instead of the speeds I am expecting, I have exessively used the map in Simulator mode in order to detect possible errors and to test the map usability for my needs, and until now never seen the simulation use speed limits I know have been tagged for years. The generic speed limits from highway types does not fit with on-the-ground reality in Brazil, resulting in Arrival Time calculations always being wrong. - Biggest problem is motorway resulting in speeds of 240 km/h, highest speed limit I have observed in Brazil is 110 though suspect there might be roads with 120.

@Skippern,

1. There seems nothing wrong with that tile. Do you have the latest version? Did you zoom in enough? Maybe crtl-G 2x (clear cache) helps in Mapsource or Basecamp.
  2. Do you see this recently? Is the generic (old) style ok?
  1. I gave up on that style about a year ago. Checked all zooms and routing. It broke routing, and zooming all the way out would give me coastline if I remember correctly, but closer zoom gave me only clear land, even at sea
  2. Currently testing with new style version 01-10-2014, do not have bandwidth to update until beginning of December, for same reason have not tried with any other styles.

I have a request on the way Fuel station info is processed. I presume the MKGMAP program looks for amenity=fuel. then searches name and operator, putting one, or both into the Garmin. If there is no info, then it gets labelled Unnamed Fuel Station
A lot of fuel stations in OSM (in Thai at least), just have the brand tag completed, and more recently, I am seeing the name in Thai script, with name:en in English. I assume MKGMAP tries to translate the Thai, and possibly ignores name:en
Can the prog be amended to check the tags in order, looking for the first valid English name, but to include brand & operator?
Only one needs to be displayed on the Garmin map.
Possible, or too difficult ??
:slight_smile: Russ.

The mkgmap rules are quite complicated, see
https://github.com/openstreetmap/mkgmap/blob/master/resources/styles/default/inc/name

If you see ${name} this will be the name:en tag first and if no english name is given, the name tag will be used. As far as I know mkgmap cannot translate Thai.

OK, I took at look at the file, and see it already tries to resolve the various permutations.

On a separate issue, is there a reason why Hwy exit and entry ramps (link roads) seem to be labelled as residential by mkgmap ?
And roads tagged as highway=residential, get the same rendering and description as highway=unclassified ?
It seems that way, but apologies if I’m getting it wrong… I’m playing with the Gamin TYP files, but assume the “type value” is generated by mkgmap ?

Rgds, Russ

I dont think this is intended. Can you give an example, or screenshot?

Yes that is correct, residential, living_street, minor and unclassified roads get the same garmin type 0x06. Those typ values are specified in the style files.
The code you can find on https://github.com/openstreetmap/mkgmap/blob/master/resources/styles/default/lines (osm generic routable, default mkgmap style)
and https://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/trunk/styles/world/lines (generic new).

Well Im just about getting to understand the concept of Style & Type, so apologies if Im not fully understanding things yet !
In the new style, I see:

highway=trunk & ( network=e-road | int_ref= ) [0x02 resolution 15-17 continue]
highway=trunk [0x02 road_class=4 road_speed=5 resolution 18]
highway=trunk_link & (mkgmap:exit_hint=true | mkgmap:dest_hint=true) [0x06 road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 20]
highway=trunk_link [0x09 road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 20]
highway=* & highway!=proposed & motorroad=yes [0x02 road_class=4 road_speed=4 resolution 18]
highway=primary & ( network=e-road | int_ref=* ) [0x03 resolution 17-18 continue]
highway=primary [0x03 road_class=3 road_speed=4 resolution 19]
highway=primary_link [0x08 road_class=3 road_speed=1 resolution 21]
highway=secondary & ( network=e-road | int_ref=* ) [0x04 resolution 18-19 continue]
highway=secondary [0x04 road_class=2 road_speed=3 resolution 20]
highway=secondary_link [0x08 road_class=2 road_speed=1 resolution 22]
highway=tertiary [0x05 road_class=1 road_speed=3 resolution 20]
highway=tertiary_link [0x08 road_class=1 road_speed=1 resolution 22]
highway=minor [0x06 road_class=1 road_speed=3 resolution 21]
highway=unclassified [0x06 road_class=0 road_speed=3 resolution 21]*

The third line would INDICATE to me, that trunk links, under some circumstances, get the 0x06 type ??? Maybe I stumbled on one of those ! If it wasn’t that, then maybe my TYP file was giving me the label.

But as an addendum, is there any reason why residential streets can’t be given a different line type to minor/unclassified in your style I think it would help a lot with the display.

Rgds, Russ

The problem is that there are more OSM road types than Garmin types, so some of them have to be the same.

Noted, but what if we made the ramps the same type as the corresponding Highway, even if they are still only displayed at higher resolutions ?
How many line types (for ways) does Garmin actually provide ?

Routable types are 0x01-0x13 (that includes 0x0a-0x0c) and 0x16, 0x1a, 0x0b
I don’t know why some trunk links are rendered with 0x06, you can ask / search it on the mgkmap development list:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/dev/maillist

Is it possible to turn off capitalisation and add accents to names? In Brazil I get a lot of names like Sao Joao Da Barra, which shall be spelled São João da Barra. If it is necessary to override capitalisation for specific words, than I would suggest da, de, do, das, dos. I guess this applies to all Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in Latin America, but might also apply further.

Without accents and special characters, names with Ç could be misinterpreted with similar names using C, for example Piaçu and Piacu.

Edit:
It capitalizes correctly for de, but as far as I can see, not for da, do, das & dos. Also I can only see names with plain latin letters, no accents and no ç. It is some time, but I believe Norwegian special letters are correct, (æ, ø, å)

Unfortunately capitalisation is totally controlled by the Garmin firmware, I’m afraid we can’t change that.
In the NLD’s we also have a character “IJ” like in IJsselmeer, but Garmin renders this as Ijsselmeer.

What about accented characters, is there a way to see letters such as ç or ã?

At NZOpenGPSMaps we are currently investigating using 9-bit encoding. It seems to give us some control over capitalisation on modern units, but some older models are not compatible with this and MS, as well as BaseCamp insist on doing their own capitalisation. The downside is we will have to provide two versions of the map to cater for the older GPS. I don’t know whether mkgmap can do this, we use cgpsmapper.

The last update has a new ‘problem’: highway shields have disappeared and been replaced by names along the roads. So, instead of a box with a number in it we now have the number written along the road.

Regards,
Peter.

Thanks for noticing Peter, seems that mkgmap r-3449 contained a bug, which has been fixed, see
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Commit-r3472-Revert-incidental-change-in-3449-that-removed-shields-td5834379.html
So in the next update it should be ok.