Names of fuel in Thai script

I’m trying to be more specific when I’m tagging petrol stations. I explicitly tag yes or no for diesel, gasohol 91, etc. and I can determine these types of fuel by reading the Thai script on the signs or the pumps. The problem I have is that the stylized Thai script that is found on signs is very difficult for me to make out. The Thai word for gasohol is fairly obvious, as is diesel, but one that I can’t scope out is the one at the bottom of this photo. There are two words to the left of the high price fuel https://www.dropbox.com/s/20hsdcdcsexcav9/Caltex%20price%20board%20IMG_2287.jpg?dl=0. What are they?

Would someone like to add these Thai fuel words to the Thailand Wiki project pages near the section about fuel company names?

Hi,

Good idea, if I have your consent perhaps I can upload the stylized version with an English transcription.

Anyway, in order:
Diesel
91 Gasohol
95 Gasohol
95 Gold
and pot luck for 11 baht 11 satang :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you. I see that now. It’s an English word spelled with Thai characters, 555. What about the word to the left of that one, the one in the small gold-colored box. I’m thinking now that it means benzine? (เบนซีน)

Please use whatever means you want to clarify these terms. And yes, feel free to use the photo.

Hi Dave,
On the subject of fuel, I see that like me, you mark both the small shacks that sell fuel out of barrels, and the increasing numbers of fuel vending machines that are appearing.
I have been using the name tags “Drummed Fuel” and “Minipump” respectively, for many years now.
Should we try to formalise this in the Wiki, as I see quite a few variants creeping in, such as Robot pump, and Bike petrol ?
I have also seen the word Singer appearing, which is blatantly wrong (as this is the manufacturer of the actual pump) !
Shall we nip it the bud now, or carry on doing our own thing ?
:slight_smile: Russ.

What I have been doing is using a set of tags, actually two sets, that I think reflect the reality of those small gas stops. I don’t use a name like “barreled fuel” for those small stations that sell petrol in a bottle or pumped from a barrel. Same for the newer vending machine pumps. However, I think they should definitely be included in OSM so I’ve developed a uniform set of tags for both situations:

For the barreled fuel I use only:
amenity=fuel
description:en="A small shop or kiosk selling fuel pumped from a barrel or in small bottles. There are typically no signs present or other services available.
source=GPS, survey

For the vending machine fuel I use a larger set of tags. In addition to the amenity=fuel, I indicate that it is a vending machine accepting cash, open 24/7, and if it has an identifying name of some sort, e.g., Safe Quick Oil, I include that as well. In addition I tag what types of fuel are available, usually gasohol_91 and 95, and often diesel

vending_machine=yes
vending=fuel
payment:cash=yes
payment:credit_cards=no
description:en=“A vending machine accepting cash in notes and/or coin that dispenses automotive fuel 24/7. Most are poorly marked and offer no other services.”

I made some presets for use in JOSM, as much for the sake of consistency as for ease in adding the data. I’m afraid I might be responsible for attaching the name Singer to one of two of these before I realized Singer is a manufacturer. Most times the operator and brand of fuel is unknown.

I never liked the idea of using a name like “drummed fuel” as though it were the name of a station but I can certainly understand why one would want to do something to separate these types of petrol stations from the “real ones”. You would not want to go to one of these places to fill your 100 liter passenger car tank, that’s for sure. Coming up with appropriate tagging to allow someone to decide what sort of station they’re seeing on their Garmin is a challenge.

By tagging them consistently, I’m hopeful that should a better solution present itself in the future, an automated edit could update these petrol stops appropriately and without too much fuss.
i did discuss the tags I ended up using both here and in a OSM Wiki Help topic earlier.

I’m sorry, I was so busy explaining what I do that I forgot to respond to your question.

Yes, formalizing an approach would be good. The Wiki should help spread the word. I fear you and I don’t agree about the use of the name tag however. I find myself in the same situation as you in many ways, as in wanting my GPS tell me what sort of fuel station it is, but want to find a Garmin specific solution to our problem. Since Lambertus slowed production of his maps I was forced to learn how to do it myself. With lots of help from Stephan I’m now building my own maps and am working to understand how to apply custom icons to certain OSM tagged objects. So far, I’ve got custom icons for wats and have been able to specify my own colors for the major highway types. It’s only a matter of time until I develop icons and methods for displaying barreled fuel and vending fuel stops on my Garmin.

Determining vending fuel stops is easy for my tagging scenario. I merely test for amenity=fuel and fuel=vending. If both tags are present, apply a certain icon (yet to be developed).

Barreled fuel is tougher but I’m sure we can come up with a scheme once we agree on how to tag them. Potential pitfalls are that, as far as my research to date indicates, all Garmin devices do not use the same internal codes to generate icons. How all that will play out is as yet unknown.

In addition, Stephan tells me his OSM_Tools server can generate installable Thailand-specific OSM maps for our local community of mappers. Once we get these details resolved, that would be the next step.