Height measurements with GPS & barometer - Please Help!

Hi,

I wrote an article about the topic some days ago here: http://opendem.info/gps_barometer.html

My idea is to code a html5 application using the geolocation api and automatic correct the mobile intern barometer data with static information from openWeatherMap.
But my first try is not working with my mobile (test with the android browser & firefox): http://opendem.info/geolocation.htm
Result: Höhe = null

Could you please help me and give me some feedback if the stuff is working with your Handy.

I would like to avoid native coding on android because I am not familar with it.

Best,

Martin

PS: The IPhone 6 should also have a barometer integrated, so I think this is really a good starting point for a crowd sourced OpenDEM.

Hi,

After some research I came to the conclusion that it is not possible at the moment to access the mobile barometer by html5 techniques.
In the future we should get the information with the system information api.

So I have to code a native android app.

Best,

Martin

That’s bad. My Smartphone doesn’t have a barometer anyway. However, I read your correction method based on the weather, and that’s a really neat idea and I find the results quite promising.

Would be nice if you could keep us uptodate in case you make any progress on that area.

Hi please also consider that VGI works great for (very) simple tools. So what people can detect (with almost any platform) are relative height changes saying "this point is ~1m higher than this point(s). This wouldn’t require any sensors for absolute height and could encourage people for real DEM micromapping :slight_smile:

P.S: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to get political nor say your solution is bad. It’s just a note towards your approach / article :wink:

Hi, interesting point, !i! also proposed something like that.

I think this approach is good for vertical structures, but is difficult on slopes or in the city and in forests.
Do you have any examples or papers on this topic? Or ideas how a application should look like?

Best,

Martin