Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Got it! These lakes in the Wall of Jerusalem are of decent size. I think it would be worth showing their names by default. A size criteria would make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion Ciprol, I see it can also improve my cycle maps as well (too many labels of small waters).
The area_size() function was implemented not too long ago by mkmap so I will add it to the lakes.

Again, appreciate your effort on all of these! :slight_smile:

The routing on a oregon 300 works again, even better then expected :wink: This is on a map that was generated on the 6th of may.
Even with shortest distance it does not give a calculation error on a route from Rotterdam to Wuppertal. :P:cool:

The highway ramps are also much better again :wink:

Something weird happens in Rotterdam though.
If arriving from kralingen/the west on the Jacques Dutilhweg and want to enter the highway to the brienenoordbrug it does a weird detour on the service road if you use shortest distance. This happens both on my gps and basecamp, I checked on osm.org and there is no reason, I think, that it should do that.
Using fastest route there is no detour.

May I report one more problem? The East side of Sydney Harbour (Aust) is showing up as white rather than blue in Garmin’s BaseCamp (Mac) and on Garmin Oregon 650. This is from a download today. I recall there was a similar issue affecting the western side of Sydney Harbour but that was resolved. It was working normally for quite a while and then suddenly this happened, but on the East side. Thanks for reviewing it.

@Mafketel: good to know the routing works better, but sometimes there are strange things happening, dont know what the reasons are.
@ciprol: might be caused by a broken polygon, I cant find any errors on JOSM, maybe it has been fixed already.

hello

I have a problem to download the russian federation
zip file is only 174 b and not 941 Mb

thanks

I think something went wrong with the map generation (Lambertus?).
Maybe you can choose a manual tile selection and request a new custom map?

Lambertus, first of all, thank you for this great service. I use it from time to time, when I need a map of a small region which I cannot find already prepared somewhere else. It almost only took a few hours to get that map but now I am shocked: over 480 requests and a waiting time of about 2 days? Is every request a manual one or perhaps somebody performed requests using a bot?

Perfectly understandable. Just think about the proliferation of GPS units out there. Even just with Garmin cycling computers and the number of them downloading routable cycling maps, there’d be thousands and thousands.

No bots, requests are handled automatically, the queue length is a function of popularity and lack of cpu resources. If you can’t wait: download a whole country is a good idea. Bandwidth is not the limiting factor.

Just fyi, there is an idea to speedup custom map generation by a factor of about 200%. I need time to implement it, but I’m working on contours too at the moment.

I am really amazed by this service…

The only downpoint is that it is not possible to download a map of the whole world. I understand that it is just not justifiable to waste server resources and bandwidth for such a request so someone doesn’t have to update his/her maps before going on holidays. However, when working in worldwide emergency services with a response time of 5-10 hours (which includes digging for the grab bag, having the last shower for a week and getting to the airport) there is no time - not a minute - to download and install maps of the affected area to the GPS device. Is there any solution to get a worldwide map? Even if it was only updated once a year it would still be much more useful than the Garmin Basemap.

So far we are using maps of individual countries/regions from various sources. But keeping this updated for 193 countries and then getting the right map onto numerous GPS devices on time before departure is almost impossible. So I am trying to find an alternative solution. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

For commercial application, why not come to some private arrangement with the OSM/developer to suit the commercial needs? Server upgrade? :wink:

That’s the spirit :slight_smile: To whom would I have to talk about that?

Be aware, that GPS Devices may have a limit for the size of maps. And be aware, that computing times (Zoom changes, adress search…) are larger for big maps.
So I have some concern, if a worldwide map of some detail will solve your problem.
If you have modern GPS devices which have Micro SD Cards, there the following procedure is feasable:
Divide the world in several parts of moderate size (Lower 3GB ?) and produce maps XXX.img for all this parts. The xxx must be different for all maps. (And if you want more than one map to be active at the same time, they must have different FID). Now look to your GPS devices and check which max micro SD card they can handle (I work on my Oregon 450 with a 16 GB SD card, larger cards i did not check). The map who is active must be stored in the Garmin folder of the SD card. The other maps should be stored in the root of the SD card. If the maps all are on the same SD card, some on the root, one ore some in the Garmin folder, the transfer between root and garmin folder runs very quick with Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V on a windows computer.
Another possibility is to use different micro SD cards and to change them during your flight to the destination. The whole Asia or the whole of Africa is smaller than 3 GB. For the whole of Europe I guess you may need 4-6 cards of 3 GB size.

Maximum img size is 4 Gb, but this wont fit on a 4 Gb micro SD card, so I guess an optimal maximum would be 3,5 Gb.
The maximum number of tile segments on most modern Garmin devices is around 4,000 so that wouldnt be a problem.
My OFM Europe (full version with contour lines) is ~8 GB which fits on a 16 Gb card.

I am sure Ligfietser would know how the system works and then there’s support for the OSM Foundation.
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Main_Page

Not sure what exactly Sojo needs for his mapping. But coverage for Asia/Africa can be quite limited except at a very basic level or potentially non-existent in areas. Use with caveat I guess. Still, OSM is quite a project and I enjoy contributing to it when possible.

We are using current hardware (Garmin GPSmap 62s for now and currently testing if the specs of the new 64s would justify swapping the devices). So I hope we can cope with larger maps.

That’s logistically impossible. Having 40+ devices with each ~ 5 SD cards and having to update all of them every time when an updated map is applicable. We don’t have the resources for this. The same for purchased ready-to-go maps of Garmin etc. Having these maps (if they’re even available) for that many devices of every country/region just for the case that something might happen somewhere would cost 10s of thousands of Euros just for the procurement. Not to mention the management of the cards. I think this kind of money is better invested in aid projects or OSM.

My dream would be having a world map for general orientation (one file) in an acceptable zoom level (best effort) that fits on a 16GB microSD card and is updated ~ 4 times per year. If it is several files which can be downloaded/copied at once that would be fine as well. But I don’t know how detailed a world map on a 16GB SD card that runs smoothly with our devices can be? Maybe it’s not even worth a try and it wouldn’t be notably better than the Garmin Basemap at all? Can anyone answer this?

This would allow us to use the devices in any area of the world for our response teams during the emergency phase until we generated/purchased/downloaded/created detailed maps of the affected area which usually takes about 1-2 days + 12-24 hours for shipping if there is no suitable internet connection. Of course I’d prefer to have all zoom levels of every spot on earth at hand. But our SD cards are only 256 TB and I think we’d need a bit more than 300 TB for the whole database. Bummer! :smiley:

You can easily grab the whole world with the manual tile selection on http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Europe, which is the most detailled continent by far, needs 6Gb which runs fine on a modern GPS like the 62.
The Americas 4Gb, Asia+Oceania 2Gb, Africa 0,5gb, so the whole world would fit perfectly on a 16 GB Sd card.