Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I currently think it’s best to evolve the original generic map into an non-routable light-weight map (for e.g. old Etrex and newer wrist Garmins).

A nautical map would be great but I haven’t had/taken the time to discover how the default nautical style works.

@dpawlyk:
Differences between generic and generic new style are at the moment not so big and mainly cosmetic.
Main difference is the use of a typ file, in order to render the properties of ways, like bridges, tunnels, pavement, road class of roudabouts etc.
Without a typ file (generic map, which uses the defaullt mkgmap style) this is not possible. The generic map does have an optional ‘mapnik’ typ file but this is only implemented in order to render some ugly garmin styles better (like the hatched forest patterns). For more info about the development of the new style see this topic: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257

That’s what I was looking for.

Brings back memories to the start of your Garmin maps with the “dense” grid over just NL. They were perfect for my Venture HC :sunglasses:

Lambertus, how about adding contour lines?
Popej has created some contour datasets that we can use (see your pm).

A contoured map would be especially appreciated by users such as in Australia where the only free alternative displaying contours at say 10 or 20m intervals is to create our own. I am just about to do that but srtm2osm needs windows whereas I only have a mac. :confused:
edit: srtm2osm runs fine on iMac under mono and have produced a fine set of contours now.

Err.

The “pan up” arrow sits right over the copywrite link on the map. One of them should be moved.

Contour lines should be an option. They might be clutter on GPS units with small screens, like the Edge 800.

I just created a Garmin map for the United States (except for Alaska and Hawaii). I didn’t realized I was doing something that was slow and consumed a lot of resources. At least the map will be used by multiple cyclists, because I created two new microSD cards, and will update my own.

The process is time consuming, because I can only select one state in the United States, and then I have to add tiles for 47 more states. Sometimes, I have to zoom in, because certain tiles are quite tiny, or zoom out, to see if I am finished adding tiles. It would be better (for me, the user) if I could select the entire country, or select multiple states from the list. Selecting multiple states would siplify creating regional maps. I know people who live in the eastern US often do multi-state bike rides, for example.

Maybe as a new user I am not aware of all aspects of this service. My original idea was to create a map that would be a replacement for Garmin’s expensive maps.

You could enable manual tile selection to select the whole country…

I am interested in downloading Egypt map for my Garmin Nuvi2595

I tried to download it to my device but it could not see it or make any difference to the device so I removed it from its internal memory.

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Bob

Did you put it in a garmin folder?

OK, I went back and skipped selecting a state, then just did a drag using my mouse to select most of the USA. Then I just had to do a little refinement around the edges. This is indeed a much faster method. Thanks!

Report: Missing label for lakes and water features - Wall of Jerusalem NP (TAS, Aust)

Just been looking around on the mapset I downloaded from 15 April 2014 and note that the various lakes in the Wall of Jerusalem NP were without their name labels on default display. But they do show up when the cursor is clicked on top of them when used within BaseCamp (Mac). I note from OSM’s main site they were all properly labelled by default.

Is this a normal behaviour? Thanks.

I suppose you use the new styles map, where the labels are invisible by default.
In the NL’ds this cluttered the maps because there are a lot tiny polygons with water and name=*.
Example here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.2476/5.3928 (Rengerswetering).

A solution would be that I can use a different poly type (0x3f) with an invisible label for those tiny water polygons, and give all other water polygons a visible label.
A temporary workaround is that you can edit the typ file and make the label visible (Polygon Type=0x3c).

Got it! These lakes in the Wall of Jerusalem are of decent size. I think it would be worth showing their names by default. A size criteria would make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion Ciprol, I see it can also improve my cycle maps as well (too many labels of small waters).
The area_size() function was implemented not too long ago by mkmap so I will add it to the lakes.

Again, appreciate your effort on all of these! :slight_smile:

The routing on a oregon 300 works again, even better then expected :wink: This is on a map that was generated on the 6th of may.
Even with shortest distance it does not give a calculation error on a route from Rotterdam to Wuppertal. :P:cool:

The highway ramps are also much better again :wink:

Something weird happens in Rotterdam though.
If arriving from kralingen/the west on the Jacques Dutilhweg and want to enter the highway to the brienenoordbrug it does a weird detour on the service road if you use shortest distance. This happens both on my gps and basecamp, I checked on osm.org and there is no reason, I think, that it should do that.
Using fastest route there is no detour.

May I report one more problem? The East side of Sydney Harbour (Aust) is showing up as white rather than blue in Garmin’s BaseCamp (Mac) and on Garmin Oregon 650. This is from a download today. I recall there was a similar issue affecting the western side of Sydney Harbour but that was resolved. It was working normally for quite a while and then suddenly this happened, but on the East side. Thanks for reviewing it.