Worldwide routable Garmin maps: Missing/incorrect feature requests

I’m afraid this will clutter the map. Try http://overpass-turbo.eu to extract those features and save it as gpx file to see it on your GPS.

Use Garmin POI Loader to load them into your GPS. That way they are not subject to the POI restrictions, like no duplicate names and you can easily search them.

I noticed that the exported gpx files from overpass-turbo.eu seem not compatible with Garmin Mapsource.
To convert it to Garmins gpx/gdb format you can use http://www.javawa.nl/rtwtool_en.html

Here an example of the output:

I don’t think they would clutter the map much. It doesn’t have to have a large obvious symbol, just so long as they are marked in some way (and searchable on the Garmin). Its no more clutter than bus stops or phone boxes, which are shown on the map.

Ok, added it to the new style maps.

I had a question sent to Lambertus, but Im sure he gets so many he wont have time to reply, so I’ll post here as it looks relevant .
It relates to the new style he offers on his garmin maps page, but as mkgmap is doing the translation, I presume the problem lies there…

“Great new style, and looks much better on Mapsource. However, when viewing on my Zumo 400 there is a display problem in the “Map page” - rivers are displayed in the same colour as roads. But, when you touch the screen and static map shows, the colour is back to blue. Strangely, riverbanks are rendered blue in both screens. From memory, I also think roads lose their colour differentiation too, but I will have to confirm this.”

Can anyone here help, resolve, or show me a work around ? Cheers.

Hi,
I dont have a Zumo, maybe Beddhist can check this?
Is this in day and/or night mode?
Does a zumo recognize the typ file?

Good question - I presume it recognises the TYP file as the all the other improvements render correctly. I will check the night mode tonight !

Feature request - I not that on the Garmin “slippy map” (i.e the map that scrolls as you drive, while the cursor remains central), very few of the poi’s show up. Strangely, Toilets do, but petrol stations do not.
I tend to try to waypoint all petrol stations as a matter of course, but now we have so many on the map, I often find when I get home, and edit, they are already there.
Is there a way that they can be treated like toilets & place names and have them show on the slippy map ?
I appreciate the slippy may should be less cluttered but i think this poi is an important one.
Rgds.

Ligfietser - Going back to the way of displaying unpaved roads, along with Beddhist, I think this is a really fantastic feature to have, and I too, ride a lot in Thai, and agree with his sentiments.
Maybe Im being picky, but the new overlay you have created, to me at least, looks like someone has plotted a track alongside the road! I thought someone had made a mistake at first !

For the OSM highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved (or dirt), can the dash be incorporated “inside” the road edges ? This would give a grey road with brown dashes.

For ref, currently (on the Zumo) an OSM highway=track is rendered on the unit as a white road with hashed edges.
The highway=path is a white road with brown dashes.

I’m not complaining … just fine tuning ! Cheers, Russ.

Hi Russ,
Unfortunately it will be very difficult and complicated to plot it inside the road edges. Garmin doesn’t like two roads on top of each other or displays it randomly on top or underneath it, depending on the unit.
So this is the best I can get it. I agree it sometimes looks like a track alongside of the road, but thats the way it is.
About pois showing up or not, this also depends on the units firmware, it is controlled by Garmin.

If you find a certain poi type very important, try to extract it from OSM as gpx and/or use the poi loader (if this works on your unit) to put in your device.
With http://overpass-turbo.eu/ you can extract data from OSM to gpx.

Hi Ligfietser,
OK, your comment noted, and I’ll be grateful for what u can do.
I didnt realise it was the Zumo that controlled the POI display, but I take your point about using the POI loader … using Overpass and POI loader will be a new one for me, but it will give me something to play with.
Rgds.

Last week I downloaded the latest files from Lambertus’s site, (12-5-14 version) and installed in Mapsource. I chose the new style as usual.
It would appear that some of the detail is now missing … things like building outlines for sure, and maybe 1-2 other features.
Is this deliberate or an oversight ?
Rgds.

Maybe the old map is still in the cache, try ctrl-G (2x) to clear it?

Hi, and thanks for prompt reply … the “answer” was simple. Doh ! I have 2 monitors, and when viewed on one, the buildings and parking lots disappear - slide the window over to the main PC monitor, and they reappear ! Just never noticed before, clearly not a problem of your making !
And a quick change on the Contrast/Gamma, cured things. :roll_eyes:

Is this style / typ file the basis for what the new Garmin 1000 has loaded from new?

What I’m referring to is the Style and Typ files that are availalbe at

http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/trunk/styles/world

http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/trunk/#trunk%2Ftyp%2Fworld

I want to do some small changes for MTB trails, but would like to start with the same base as the Garmin 1000 has in it.

Thanks for any help. :smiley:

Yes that’s the style and typ file for the Generic Routable (new style).

Thanks ligfietser, do you know if that’s what’s being used in the Garmin Edge 1000? Or have Garmin come up with their own style / typ?

Thanks

No, thats not the same map, and yes Garmin uses its own style and typ.

Last time that I looked at the Garmin edge Touring map, the TYP file didnt work at all!
Dont know if they have improved it recently.
Can you post some screenshots here? I wonder how they render the cycleways, they were hardly visibible at all,
not even any bike routes!

At present, with the “new style”, roads are rendered in Mapsource as :

Motorway - Orange
Trunk - Yellow
Primary - Yellow
Secondary - White
Tertiary - White
Unclassified, Service, Residential &Track - White

Is there any reason why the style can’t be changed to make things a little more colourful, using the full range of colours, instead of just 3.
It would make good sense to use the colours that Osmarender uses. ie ~

Motorway - Blue
Trunk - Green
Primary - Red
Secondary - Orange
Tertiary - Yellow
Unclassified - White
Service & residential - Grey
Track - Brown dashed

What do others users think ? Or is it technically impossible to utilize more colours for ways ?
Rgds, Russ.