how to tag alternative routes

What would you suggest to tag alternative routes sharing the same number?

One example is bypass roads (เลี่ยงเมือง), the other example is an old route.

How should we tag it? I suggest putting the addition in parentheses behind ref number.

So old route 1001 would be tagged “1001 (เดิม)”.

See here for an example:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=18.892462,99.010624&spn=0.004954,0.013078&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.89246,99.010624&panoid=v3buyMu2AwynPzesq1pglg&cbp=11,276.9,2,-0.07

The suggestion seems reasonable, and I agree with it as a general principle.

However, it seems that the DOH actually gives new ref numbers to such highway sections. I’ve been using the DOH database available at http://roadnet.doh.go.th to check data accuracy, and looking at your example, it appears that that section of road is now referred to as 1367. A brief Google search confirms that the new number is used in official documents.

I take it you can confirm that the signs (and kilometre posts) still say 1001. The question is then how to tag the new and old refs. While the new ref is officially “correct”, map users would want to know the old one, at least until those signs are updated. There’s the old_ref=* tag, but I’m not sure if it’s adequate.

I’d agree with the เดิม tag.
Regarding the probably over having a new official number, but still old signs on the roads, I guess the best is to have both numbers in the name , ref is possible, so that it shows up in the maps for people using it. Maybe unorthodox, but if it works, why not. The old one is deleted when the signs are changed. Does this sound feasible?

old-ref= tag should probably be used for sake of record keeping (e.g. if old maps are consulted, one can find what road it was)

Jo wanted to clarify when that change is actually going to happen.

Better not to mix up two numbers in the name/ref tag. A lot of highways had been renumbered. It might cause more confusion than it helps.

If a business is advertising their place they will certainly use the new number as this is what people will see on the sign. A Satnav would use the new number as this is what’s visible on the sign.

So I propose to keep our data as close to the reality as possible. Having the old tag stored would not harm so that’s fine in case someone wants to render a special map also showing historic numbers.

Yes, I have trouble deciphering what is what in some places, with different maps showing different numbers.
I presume roadnet… go.th is the most definitive map to use as reference?

But are you not a bit optimistic as to the efficiency of everybody adapting to the new numbers ?? :slight_smile: I mean printed guidebooks, like the one about Khmer temples in thailand by Michel freeman is still from 1997 or whenever, with all the numbers from that time. And the printed maps I have (yes, I do like the view of a nice big printed map), they wont be updated that fast, and small hotels businesses will not necessarily update their web sites that fast. And how fast will the road authority update the street signs?
And given the big omissions in openstreetmap, people resorting to bing, google maps etc. will also be confronted with a wide array of various numbers :slight_smile:

So, my point is, wouldnt people be more confused if they still had the old street number that they are looking for, but could not find it? (while having the new number, and perhaps the old in brackets behind) would give them the hint that they are in the right place? I guess it all depends on how fast most things will be updated. Any ideas on that?