Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Beddhist, shame on me for I not implementing the stylesheet yet, you guys put a lot of time into that. Is it possible that you investigate what changes in Mkgmap parameters are needed to get the stylesheet in use?

I’ll try. First, let me know your current params. I don’t think I have ever changed them, though.

Regards,
Peter.

Lambertus, I see you use --generate-sea=land-tag=natural=background also for the generic map but since natural=background is not a tag (with correspondent garmin ID) in the default style so either this would be ignored (which I hope) or the map will have issues. :confused: Only use this tag for the OFM Lite.

What does max_size = 810241024 do? I assume it’s an internal parameter for your tile scripts or is it a mkgmap option?

Ok, the generate sea option is gone. The max_size is a parameter for the scripts, the generic map is created with tiles which are no larger then 8 MB so that older Garmin device users can use them.

These options look fine to me, although I’m no mkgmap expert. Just give it a whirl.

Whirl given :smiley:

Takes a while before it’ll be available for download though. The update must finish successfully and I have to adapt the site to add a test version of the generic map.

Thanks Lambertus. I look forward to see the fruits of our combined labours.

Is there a way to install more then one card to for ex. mapsource from openstreetmaps?

If I want to install more then one card it says generic card already exists and deletes that card so I can only see last installed one.

I already tried to rename the map after install with JaVaWa GMTK but that does not work, problem stays the same.

Welcome to the forum, Estate.

[ When you write card you mean map, of course. ] The answer to your question is in the FAQ, which you should read anyway. You need to change the product ID. Changing the name is optional, but useful, otherwise they are all called “OSM Generic”.

Regards,
Peter.

I see that the last map update was almost three weeks ago.
I was wondering if this project is stopped or if theres a new website?
Thanks

This project certainly hasn’t stopped, updating has been postponed due to a new map being added which happens to be available now

Paging Beddhist @ Ligfietser :slight_smile:

Suggesting I did not read the faq ? well okay, I did read it but clearly not good enough :wink:

I did try what you say here but it does not help maps are alle installed as OSM Generic Routable in Mapsource, which presents a problem offcourse, because I now can not use maps separately.

Reason I need separate maps is that I plan to use it on hollidays when on the move with our mobil home and do not want to get my Garmin cluthered and slow as hell, the second reason is that I normally (with tomtom at least) put all kinds of interesting sights and seeing marks in there so when on the move with our bikes we can easely visit what we want to see.

Is there a really good way to get the maps installed together ? It seems to me that this is the reason lots of users sell their garmins and choose for tomtom, or am I wrong assuming that ?

kind regards, Jan

Have you tried the JaVaWa tool linked in the FAQ to change the product id (and name) of an already installed map? After that you can install a second map. Rinse and repeat to install as many maps as you want…

Edit: Ah, I see you tried changing names, but you need to change product id’s as well (which is even more important then changing the name).

Hmm, somehow the style is not showing in the new test map although a typ file is included.

Yes, they choose for TomTom because it is impossible to put OpenStreetMap maps on a TT; problem solved… :roll_eyes:
Installing OSM maps of a larger area is more difficult than installing an official Garmin map; that’s true. But, when you can’t get it to work you can always get a refund…

Oh wait, you didn’t pay anything for it.

I just downloaded the new look Thailand map. Looks good to me here. The typ definitely works. Thanks for all your hard work you continue to put into this. :smiley:

As far as I am concerned this is the most useful OSM web site there is.

Now we can continue to fine tune the style.

Q: do we need POIs for areas? Every island gets a POI and there are lakes where the POI is way outside the water due to the crescent shape.

Another project I want to tackle at some point is a routable map optimised for motorcycles. As we all know, the maps can’t distinguish between cars and bikes. There are many places where bikes can go, but not cars and vice versa.

I didnt get anything Lambertus :confused:

Yes we need them but not in all cases. This has to be finetuned. In mkgmap you can exclude it with something like place=* & mkgmap:area2poi!=true [0x… resolution …]

Well, thank you for the work on the stylesheet!

:smiley:

Perhaps, if such a style would exist, I can add this to the site… hint hint :wink:

Edit: posts about stylesheet moved to separate topic.