Using two different maps

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use 2 different maps on Garmin.

Thank you.

Emil

Yes, its probably possible. Though it does depend on what model Garmin you have, and what maps you want to use.

For older Garmins, they can only use a single gmapsupp.img file. But you can combine multiple OSM maps into a gmapsupp.img file using Mkgmap or GMapTool etc. Or you can install the maps in Garmin MapSource or BaseCamp, and use that to load a combined mapset.

For newer Garmins, they can use multiple img files, just copy them all to the Garmin directory.

What do you mean with older and newer Garmins ?

Which models are older ?

For the handheld Garmins:

Older models: Etrex Legend HCx, Etrex Vista HCx, GPSMAP 60Cx, GPSMAP 76Cx etc

Newer models: Etrex 20, Etrex 30, Dakota, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, GPSMAP 62, GPSMAP 78

And for car models ?

Newer models are nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 30, 40, 50, 140, 150, dezl, probably most zumo too.

I think that on any older nuvi model you can use 2-3 img files in internal memory, valid names could be gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img, gmapsupp.img, gmapsup1.img, gmapoem.img. Each img can contain multiple maps. And you can add next maps on SD, nuvi should read gmapsupp.img from SD and many older nuvi are updated to read gmapsup1.img too.

I am using nüvi 250.

I have two maps named gmapsupp.img (both). How should I name them to have possibility to use both ?

Thank you.

On SD or in internal memory?

Update firmware to the latest version, than you will be able to use gmapsupp.img and gmapsup1.img on SD.
In internal memory you can use gmapprom.img, gmapsupp.img and probably gmapprom1.img.
You can have one gmapsupp.img in internal memory and second gmapsupp.img on SD.

You can merge both files and save as single gmapsupp.img on any device:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/merging-maps

Thank you.

This is definetly not true for Nuvi 40. It’s in the “older Garmins” band wagon. I had to merge my IMGs.

Please test it. Create in your nuvi 40 a directory \Map and put there some img with different names.