Memorial = barrier?

I don’t think barrier=block is an appropriate tag for this monument:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.513843&lon=13.378584&zoom=18&layers=M
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/47335056

Hi,
the monument is consisting of thousands of stone blocks (check google picture search).

So barrier=block is not so wrong.

Chris

Hi,

I’m not sure, but I think closed way barriers are not interpreted as areas by default (see barrier=fence). Should we at least add area=yes?

Michael

@Chris, I know that monument.
barrier=block is meant for traffic purposes, not for monument objects. It is not a barrier.

How about
historic = memorial (maybe only the area, in a relation with the blocks)
memorial:type=block (the blocks)

If you do an area based pedestrian navigation (highway=pedestrian) the blocks as parts of the memorial would be barriers.

Yes, but then everything would be a “barrier”. :wink:

Ok, you’ve convinced me! :roll_eyes:

A memorial (part) and some other features have to be interpreted as barriers, when mapped on an navigable area…

Some month ago (June 1012) I have contacted the mapper concerning the “Stehlenfeld” and got this answer:

Die vorherige Tagging-Variante “als Gebäude” fand ich besser - man muß ja nicht jede Stehle erfassen.
ja, ich hab auch lange überlegt, und bin zu folgendem Schluss gekommen:

• die stehlen sind keine Gebäude
  • sie sind teil eines Kunstwerkes und es gibt kein Tagging das etwas so abstraktes beschreiben kann
  • sie sind nicht als Barriere gedacht aber letztendlich stehen sie im weg
    weiter finde ich diese detaillierte Geometrie sehr beeindruckend und bewahrenswert. (habe den scheinbaren Ersteller angeschrieben, er hat mir aber nicht geantwortedt).
    Wenn das jetzt irgendeinem Renderer schlimm aussieht dann ist das zwar schade aber nicht unser Problem.
    Was hältst du davon:
    Wir taggen die stehlen einfach gar nicht, lassen die Geometrie aber bestehen bis vielleicht irgendwann mal passendere Tags erfunden werden?!

Regards Klaus

PS: I think “barrier = block” is OK …

Of course. Also a building have to be deteced by such a router and it won’t be taged as a barrier=. There are much more tags beside barrier=, which such a router have to care about. So I think this isn’t a real argument.

The intention of the “blocks” aren’t blocking traffic. It’s clear that it’s a memorial or something like that.

Thank you. I was just about to suggest to ligfietser to do exactly that instead of complaining publicly by opening a thread in this forum with a rather negative title. I would also like to see the local mappers included in any discussion (not sure if an organized form of communication among the Berlin mappers exists).

My apologies, I have changed the topic title :wink: