Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus, please update the TYP file 2000.typ (wrong product ID). I also updated the Lite styles, see your e-mail.

I’m sorry Minko, yes, I’ve seen your email and I will update them asap, but my real life and other OS projects workload are way over my head at the moment. Perhaps I have a bit of time Saturday morning…

I understand :slight_smile:
Maybe can you give my access to your server so I can upload the styles myself?

Both map generation machines were unreachable yesterday due to a core router being overloaded (it had nothing to do with this project). The website was also not responding as a result to that. So if you’re wondering what happened, now you know.

Yes, I think that’s OK, although when I changed things so that the styles can be updated using a single ‘svn update’ command this won’t take much time anymore.

I’ve tried downloaded some tiles I selected but I don’t get any e-mails about them. This has been going on for two days now. And yes, I’ve checked my spams. This used to work flawlessly previously.
I’ve tried two different e-mail addresses to no avail (one of them being my gmail address which has worked OK previously in this respect).
Downloading directly works without a problem, though.

Thanks for reporting this problem. I’ve restarted the nullmailer daemon (the service that sends the emails) and it appears to work normally again. A lot of emails that were queued have now been sent. I think this was a result of the core-routers being overloaded as reported earlier:

Typ and styles are updated. I’m using ‘svn checkout’ now so that future updates are easier.

I’ll send you an email regarding server login, I have to talk to the server owner first.

As long as you update the styles automatically from http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/ then I only have to make sure they are up to date there, so no need for a user login on your server, right?

I see you uploaded the wrong typ file… :confused:
The correct one is on http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/source/browse/trunk/typ/osm%20generic/

Oeps, I’ve now replaced the ‘mapnik’ directory with the ‘osm_generic’… Thanks.

Another bug has been reported on the gps.nl forum:
http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=38751&p=321574#p321574

Because the OFM Lite and the OSM generic routable share the same img names this can lead to problems when sending both maps together (with the same tiles) to the GPS. Remedy: use unique names for the OFM Lite (eg 6344*.img instead of 6324*.img).

Hmm, I thought I did that. From the build scripts:

Openfietsmap lite:
$mapid = 63440001;

Generic map:
$mapid = 63240001;

But I now see that this setting is later overwritten because both maps use the same initial split result which uses the Generic map base id. I think I have a solution to that in place now but it will be used only for the next update, not the update that is currently running.

Background:
The initial split (and transliteration step) resulted previously in tiles named 63240001.translit.osm.bz2 etc. which the rendering scripts pick up by scanning the initial split result directory and then continue to use the numeric part of the filename throughout the script. I’ve changed this so that the initial split step results in tiles named 1.translit.osm.bz2 etc., the rendering scripts pick these files up, add the $mapid value and use the result for the rest of the script.

I use MapSetToolKit. It is a simple tool to use for your purpose. It is a free download. What I did was to first come up with a Family ID for each of the countries (or in the case of larger countries, provinces). I used a system that assigns the following block of numbers:

1000-1999 = Africa
2001-2999 = Asia
3000-3999 = Europe
4000-4999 = North America
5000-5999 = (Spare)
6000-6999 = Oceania
7000-7999 = South America

For North America, I use 4000-4399 for Canada and 4500-4999 for USA so that for a map of the state of Alabama has a family ID of 4505 as I simply assigned the states a number in alphabetical order in increments of 5, e.g.:

4500 North America USA
4505 North America USA AL ALABAMA
4510 North America USA AK ALASKA
4515 North America USA AS AMERICAN SAMOA
4520 North America USA AZ ARIZONA

Since the OSM generic maps from this site install with a Family ID of 2000. I never use 2000 for any maps. I install the maps into specific folders, for example, Australia goes into C:/Garmin/Maps/Oceania/Australia. After it is installed, I then run MapSetToolKit and select the map just installed into FamilyID 2000, click the edit button and change the Mapset name to OSM Australia, the registry name to OSM Australia and the family ID to my choice of 6050. I apply the changes and that is it!

Cheers,

Peter

A new Openfietsmap Lite update is online which uses tile id’s 6344xxxx :slight_smile:

Nice, but I only see red tiles…

Crap. Why did I only check the directory contents and not the site as well? :roll_eyes:

Another bug, I think I know where. Working on it…

Looks like the bug has infected the Generic Routable too, it is bleeding too :stuck_out_tongue:

Hallo,

wollte mir gerade eine Karte runterladen. Leider sind noch rote Felder dazwischen.
Ich hoffe Ihr könnt den Fehler beheben und weiterhin diesen super Dienst bereitstellen.

Grüße aus Bayern

LaCarpa :slight_smile:

Hello,

I just wanted to download a map. Unfortunately red fields are in between.
I hope you can fix the error and continue to provide this great service.

Greetings from Bavaria

LaCarpa :slight_smile:

I’ve reverted back to the previous version, fixed the bug which caused the ‘red tiles’ (hopefully) and started a new update. Anyone who received a link to an empty map should request their map again. Sorry about that…

Many thanks for the quick repair. I don’t download maps here very often and assumed I’d done something wrong. All of Berlin is now selectable.