Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but it is known that the styling for the current map is messed up?

Messed-up in what way? Screenshot perhaps?

Yes, Ofcourse. Here is the “Before”:

And the “After”:

As you can see, the background is missing.

Thanks! I was worried that there was a really serious bug in the maps, but it’s ‘only’ the stylesheet that’s different (but I understand you don’t like it).

I think this can be traced back to commit #2109 on the default stylesheet of Mkgmap. Perhaps something broke, so I’ll email the Mkgmap dev list about that.

You can add this line
base-style=landuse

to the info file in the default style:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/info

and maybe put some comment marks before the lines that you don’t want to render:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/landuse/polygons

(0x4e clutters the map a lot without typ file)

Marko (the maintainer of the stylesheets in Mkgmap) has fixed the problem in SVN (commit #2204)

It will take a few days (probably somewhere next week) until you’ll see this change in the maps.

Thanks Ligfietser!

Thank you Lambertus and Thank you Ligfietser!!!

Lambertus,
How about generating the sea? Because I dont have found any issues in my Europe map I think it is worth a try with the mkgmap option --generate-sea=multipolygon,extend-sea-sectors,close-gaps=6000

Hi all,

I am trying to use maps generated by the site, but i it does not render either in Mapsource or Basecamp. I have a white rectangle instead. Anyone would have a clue what I may be doing wrong? (using a PC version a .exe generated OSM for garmin)

Kickaha

I can’t check right now, but I’m pretty sure I’m using something like this already… See the flooding problems in Sydney a few pages back.

No idea. Can you post the url from the email?

@Kickaha try ctrl-G (maybe a few times) because it could be that the background map is selected. Otherwise, zooming in on the map will help.

@Lambertus, must be a flooded river or lake down there (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1252425 natural=water), there is absolutely no sea in your maps around here

Does ctrl-G work in Basecamp as well?

Sydney Harbour has been a problem area before, as it’s quite complex.

But I’ll check the scripts for this weekends’ update .

Ctrl-G is working in Basecamp as well and is one of the FAQs why the map is not visible.
Another one is zooming in on the right place, ctrl - is the trick here.
And the last trick is that you need to select the right map product, not everyone knows this :wink:

Maybe make a Sticky topic of this?

About Sydney Harbour, I just downloaded a tile and it is rendered as natural=water and therefore blue.
The oceans are white and not rendered.

What is the update frequency?

I ask because during the last couple of years I have used my Garmin to collect tracks for an area of Turkey where maps are very bad. The one I can buy for the unit contains little less than the main coast road. So I have been looking for an alternative way to get my experiences back on the unit. Then (very) late january I discovered how easy it is to take tracks to open street maps, Potlatch, correct some details, add some facilities and tourist attractions and after a few days pull everything to my unit via garmin.openstreetmaps.nl Wauv, great. A BIG hooray.

Now, on tuesday I just fled the north european winter, sitting in Turkey right now, and simply cannot wait to get on the road to verify and improve even more on what I participated with.

Last map set is from 30. january, when should I expect the next?

Thanks all, zoom + ctrl-G (several times) solved the issues! Thanks a lot!

Usually every week, but sometimes things break and the update fails, like the last time. Next update is scheduled for this weekend.

How about this?

Cool :sunglasses:

And how about the sea? :roll_eyes:

Just checked and started an update using the latest Mkgmap and style file (with modifications to the line file). The sea was indeed missing (I must have been mistaken with a previous test run), but it’s now added…

I’ll try to upload the map next monday (if all goes as planned).

Hi.
i am having an issue combining some maps from lambertus together using mkgmap.

this is how i do:
mkgmap (version 2205)
alias mkgmap=‘java -Xmx675m -enableassertions -jar /home/user/path/mkgmap-r2205/mkgmap.jar --draw-priority=10000 --transparent’
download denmark and czeck republic from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

czheck is ok, denmark seems not to be ok.

Then i run:
mkgmap --gmapsupp gmapsupp_osm_cz.img gmapsupp_osm_dk.img

directly after the czeck map is processed, mkgmap stops and does not continue with the danish map.
there is no error output. this issue happens with other countries as well, but czeck is actually working, whereas denmark is not.

do you know what may cause the problem?
are there any options i can enable, either to make it work or to get an exit code or a trace or something?

thank you.

The gmapsupp (from Denmark and Czheck Republic) is an container filled with Garmin images. It has the same filename extention (img) but is not the same as the Garmin images (tiles as I call them). A gmapsupp is more like a zip file containing the images. Mkgmap cannot handle these containers because it needs to work with separate images.

So you need to download the _tiles.zip instead of the _gmapsupp.zip.