Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

If you can see woods on the map in BaseCamp or MapSource, but can’t see them on your OR300 try Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup|Text Size| LandCover.
(Who knows why they put land cover under text size?)
You may also want to switch profiles. Default “Recreational” is a good one.

Almost all landuse is stripped from the default style so that could be the reason why there are no forests on the map anymore. Without a style file, the map looks a lot less cluttered in Mapsource now. On the other hand, too many boundaries, powerlines and gsm masts seems back…

Thanks for the replies.

Newby questions: Does that mean, that with the generated gmapsupp.img it is not possible to see “woods” again? I need to download the tiles, include in Mapsource, include a TYP file and generate a new one.

The old ones were just perfect for me…

It means that Lambertus has to work a bit on his styles. In the meantime, you could test other maps. The openfietsmap for example, or Freizeitkarte by toc-rox, or build your own one:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ajoessen/Garminkarten_selber_bauen

Greetings
ajoessen

Hi,

great site! Tried compiling an individual map of the US. Did not get the gmapsupp.zip fo download. This is the link: Index of /garmin/routable/14-01-2012/efffb9822886ae976f4d101df7d4b93b. No idea where the rest is.

Thanks for the good work.

Can you forward the email (unedited) to osm [at] na1400 [dot] info? Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone else came across something like this …

I was using maps from the end of December with the standard Mapnik Type file. In my Garmin 20, the routing does not seem to respect one-way streets. It will route along the streets, but in the wrong direction on one-way streets if it needs to, for the shortest route.

In OSM everything is fine, and in Mapsource and Basecamp routing works as it should. It just seems to disregard the one-way aspect when routing in the Garmin 20.
I checked with an actual Garmin map of the same area and routing along one-way streets seems to work fine. The odd thing is I pulled out the old Garmin Vista Cx with the same OSM map and the routing works as it should, in the correct direction along one-way streets.

The map was transferred to both devices via Mapsource.

I have doubled checked that the problem exists and it has me baffled. Could someone else with a Garmin 20 (or maybe any newer Garmins) check this and tell me whether I am going crazy or not?

Thanks and jama rek.

I take it as read that you have checked that your GPS is not set to pedestrian mode? I am afraid that one day Garmin will come up with a way to discourage us from using free maps. Maybe that day has arrived… :frowning:

Hmm, I think I’ve read something about Garmin changing the way restrictions are handled in their new models. so maybe no map generated with mkgmap works with the new models in respect to oneways, turn restrictions, maxheight, …
But i’m not sure about this. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

It would be interesting to know whether this problem only occurs with OSM maps (compiled with mkgmap) or with other maps that are made with cgpsmapper as well. If the latter work then the programmers of mkgmap need to be made aware of the problem, so they can fix it.

Regards,
Peter.

Turns out the Garmin Dakota 20 WAS set to Pedestrian Mode.

On switching it to Car/Motorcycle or Bicycle, so far it looks like it DOES respect one-way streets.

So it was my fault. False alarm everyone.

Usually it is set to Bicycle; I don’t remember switching it to Pedestrian.

Thanks for the clue Beddhist.

jama rek,

This problem has been around for some time. The maps work fine in my Garmin GPSMap 76CSx when I transfer them, just a bit annoying when trying to look at the North Island of New Zealand. I use NZ Open GPS Project maps at http://www.nzopengps.org/ There is some forum entries about this problem on page 40-41.

We might see you in NZ as we will be cycling in the South Island February 15 to March 8th on a Tandem with a BOB Action Packer trailer. Our journal is on www.crazyguyyonabike.com

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but it is known that the styling for the current map is messed up?

Messed-up in what way? Screenshot perhaps?

Yes, Ofcourse. Here is the “Before”:

And the “After”:

As you can see, the background is missing.

Thanks! I was worried that there was a really serious bug in the maps, but it’s ‘only’ the stylesheet that’s different (but I understand you don’t like it).

I think this can be traced back to commit #2109 on the default stylesheet of Mkgmap. Perhaps something broke, so I’ll email the Mkgmap dev list about that.

You can add this line
base-style=landuse

to the info file in the default style:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/info

and maybe put some comment marks before the lines that you don’t want to render:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/landuse/polygons

(0x4e clutters the map a lot without typ file)

Marko (the maintainer of the stylesheets in Mkgmap) has fixed the problem in SVN (commit #2204)

It will take a few days (probably somewhere next week) until you’ll see this change in the maps.

Thanks Ligfietser!

Thank you Lambertus and Thank you Ligfietser!!!

Lambertus,
How about generating the sea? Because I dont have found any issues in my Europe map I think it is worth a try with the mkgmap option --generate-sea=multipolygon,extend-sea-sectors,close-gaps=6000