Problems Entering "State/Province" Name on Garmin nuvi 200

Don’t worry, it’s a bug in mkgmap, which is just improved in the latest version (2042), so sooner or later Lambertus will use it to compile his maps.

I think I used that version the current map tile generation. Do I need to use this version for the gmapsupp.img compilation as well?

If i look at http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/30-09-2011/1f003a2302c1c9c017526f9f0a789313/63240000_license.txt
I see Map created with mkgmap-r2009, but I dont think r2042 is capable of creating the address index for a gmapsupp.img, you still have to do this with Mapsource.
It only helps finding a lot more streets when entering a city name (of course only when you use the img created with Mapsource). With r2009 a lot of streetnames could only found when skipping the city name.

Thanks. The Mkgmap on the server is only used to generate the NSIS installer and gmapsupp.img and is not updated often (it doesn’t need to). The tiles are generated @home with r2042.

hello,

i have nuvi 250w i updated to 2012 maps everything works fine, but when i search for address i put in the city name but two same city names comes on screen. can someone help what i did wrong and how can i fix it.

can somebody help please

Hi,
mkgmap (version 2162) is now able to create the address search index directly (without having to write the gmappsupp.img
via MapSource).

This should eliminate the “Enter State/Province” problem on the newer garmin devices.

Chris

Hi,

A friend who is interested in (free) maps has download a few of the available maps for Mapsource and Zumo. He claims that he cannot find a particular city in NL, Apeldoorn. Is this also caused by the mkgmap limitations?

Taede.

Hi Taede,

there are two possible problems:

1. If you get the message “Enter State/Province …” the map is either compiled with a too old mkgmap version or the address information was not added due to wrong mkgmap parameters

2. mkgmap has different approaches how the address information (street A is located in which city/region/country?) is determined. One approach is to use the OSM boundary information (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Boundaries). A map compiler must define which admin_levels are mapped to the city, region and country. If you don’t find a city it is possible that the boundary of this city is not complete or it does not have the admin_level that the map compiler used for the city names.

WanMil

Hi,

What do you mean whith “cannot find”?

He cannot find the city if you is search for the POI of the City? Yes, I can confirm that this does not work, for whatever reason. There are some citys more in the Netherland I cannot find as POI, Amsterdam for example, too.

He cannot find the city if you uses the adress search (means country, city, street)? This works fine for me, including Amsterdam and Apeldoorn.

Thorsten

Does not find means exactly that.

I tried myself, when I installed the OFM Benelux map in mapsource, then selected the map and tried to search:
for my hometown - works.
Amsterdam - works.
Amersfoort - works.
Apeldoorn - you don’t get past ‘Ape’, because the rest of the name is just not available. In the address box, search on city.

With the latest OFM Benelux (10/2/2012)
Find places > City > Amsterdam - does not work
Find places > City > Apeldoorn - does not work
Find places > City > Amersfoort - works

Find nearest places > Cities > all places mentioned above are findable
Find places > Address > all places mentioned above are findable

With OSM World routable, I can’t find Apeldoorn with Find places > City

In Garmin Basecamp I don’t have those issues at all.

Hi,

first, I don’t see a difference in MapSource or on my 62s.
With the mkgmap default style, I can find Amsterdam on both, but not Apeldoorn. With my own and other styles, I cannot find both.
But what I found out: There were more than one place node for Apeldoorn. So I would have expected that you can find it twice. But maybe that’s the problem and Garmin does not like identical POIs for citys.

No clue about Amsterdam yet.

Thorsten

Hi,

Ok, I think I found the problem.

Amsterdam:
Amsterdam has a place=city node and a second tourism=hotel node, both with the name “Amsterdam”, which leads to two POIs with the name “Amsterdam, Amsterdam, NOORD-HOLLAND, NLD”.

In maps where you can find the city of Amsterdam, you will not be able to find the hotel Amsterdam. On maps where you cannot find the city of Amsterdam, you are able to find the hotel Amsterdam.

Looks like a problem with POI with the same name :frowning:

For Apledoorn the same, there are at least two nodes with the exact same name.

Thorsten

But what has a hotel ‘Amsterdam’ to do with a city search? There is only one place=city & name=Amsterdam?
And tourism=hotel is also in the default styles (where you can find Amsterdam), so that does not explain your theory

The place=city is only a POI like the hotel ‘Amsterdam’.
Please, don’t confuse City search (via POI) with address search. The address search uses an own index. If you find a city via city search (POI) this does not mean you can find them via address search and vice visa.

It does. If you can find the city of Amsterdam, you cannot find the Hotel. I verified this now with different cities and different styles, including the default one. If you have a city and one or more POI in the city with the same name, I can only find one of them. Apledoorn for example has three POIs with the same name, I’m always only able to find one of the three, never all three.

Thorsten

This also means you cannot find all shops if they have the same company name within the same city?
Looks like a serious bug in mkgmap then…

city+postal code.

If I do a search for “McDonald’s” in Nürnberg, I will get only one per postal code. But there are more, at least in the inner city.

Thorsten

Yes, and a mkgmap developer created already a patch which I tested with my maps. Looks good, the search problems are now solved for me.

Thorsten

:slight_smile: Yeah I read it, thanks Thorsten!