Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Reports of users with the new Etrex 10/20/30 series show that it is a decision at Garmin.
On these new models cars will be routed on cycleways and footpaths no matter what the OSM access rules are saying…

Your latest update is missing a street that was there previously: 49.065417,-122.291247

Its missing McCallum Rd which links to Abbotsford-Misson Highway.

Tile “CA-Abbotsford” @ http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/09-10-2011/63240393.img

It was there in the September 30 build? Not sure why it is not there in the latest build (October 9).

I don’t believe there was any changes on OSM to cause this change.

Edit:

Update: It is missing a huge section of Highway 1 in Abbotsford, BC also.

Hi lambertus,
First I noticed that country files like Osm routable mapsource are smaller than the one before, for ex for Algeria 57Mo to 33 Mo and the last ‘09/10/2011’ is 12Mo, I thought that Mkgmap made some new dev in compression but the last version lot of highway disapeared, and some streets in my town also. What is the issue? and thanks

shawnsumin & sabri66 thank you for the reports. Via email I also received:

I guess something has gone quite wrong during this update and I’ll revert back to the previous one.

Thanks!
FYI - I’m still seeing this issue with a map I downloaded 5 minutes ago.

Reverted to the old version just now. Had no time earlier to do it…

Hi Lambertus,

many thanks for you online project it is great!
I am just interested if it is possible to build map based on opencyclemap?
I need map for hiking and opencyclemap is much more helpful in this case.

best regards

mira

Have you looked at Openmtbmap.org – Mountainbike and Hiking Maps based on Openstreetmap?

Note: I have not used it myself as there are hiker specific maps for the areas that I am interested in.

Yes, we are planning to release a world wide version of my Openfietsmap (fiets=cycling in Dutch), it’s now available for the Benelux and Germany on my website.
Depends when Lambertus gets his server ready, any progress Lambertus?

Thank you for link … very interesting. Actually in this case I am searching more for hikers maps too.
Especially what I missing are “contours” … generally I need more TOPO information.

The problem can be also partly on my side too …
I just bought my very first GPS (Garmin 78s) and both maps
( from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and from http://openmtbmap.org/))
doesn’t show contour and others TOPO details for hiking.

Moreover I am using linux … I am just copying *.img files to garmin/ directory.

Maybe I do something wrong?

regards

mira

That’s great … I am interested in South America maps now. It will be also possible to get them in cycling version?

regards

mira

If the contour lines are what you need in the cycling version, I dont think we will add that soon.
There are maybe other free maps that have contours, dont know if openmtb have them for south america.

To install the maps on your Garmin, you only need the gmapsupp.img version and copy this to the garmin directory
The other imgs are tiles for your computer (Mapsource).

Contour lines would be great, but any addition of topo details would be big improvement for me.
Now I have just white places for ground and blue for warter and routes of course. But for hiking it is not ideal

Can be some improvement in topo details expected by adding cyclemap possibility?
I mean various green colors for forest and grassy places, brown tones for mountains … and so on.

I checked openmtb… not for south america :frowning: just for europe.
Even Garmin offers just “Google imaginary” what is just picture from googleearth for South America. It is not really a map.

Thank you for clarifying this.

regards

mira

There are some improvements because the cyclemap has its own style and typ file (see my website for screenshots), which are going to be implemented as well in the general world routable maps as well, see for some examples this topic: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257&p=2

The landuses are of course limited because the details of the OSM map in South America is not quite as rich as here in Western Europe.

As for the brown tones for mountains like the shaded relief map that opencyclemap is using, we are not able to produce this on a Garmin. Garmin self has its own world based relief map, don’t know if you have it on your gps. There are versions of this world dem map downloadable but this is of course illegal :wink:

Thank you … I got base map works on my garmin it was done by bad setting (disabled shading also disable base map)

I have one other problem … when I am using OSM and garmin base map together in higher resolution (below 300km) sea area change color from blue to green.
It makes orientation quite difficult especially in area with many channels and islands. Interesting is that rivers and lakes stay blue.
When I turn off OSM sea is again blue, but need have both maps on.

Any idea how to fix it?

mira

I think there is nothing wrong with your unit, it is just the fact that the world routable osm map doesn’t render the sea or oceans yet, and thus shows the background colour (which could be green?). Rivers and lakes are rendered, so thats why you only see blue there and not in the sea :slight_smile:

There is no way to fix this, until Lambertus will decide to render the seas.

It would be great … Please Lambertus do it :wink:

Please update the Sri Lankan Map again. Also tell me how can I help to update the Sri Lankan map

There’s a lot to read, Lalith. Start here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide

Sorry this is moving forward so slowly. Been very busy @work and was just away for a week without internet. I’ll try to get to it this weekend.