Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

It is possible that the tiles get shifted or renumbered with each weekly split, so you might be able to use that list successfully again but those new tiles can also contain completely different data. This behavior is a result of the automatic tile size determination function of the Splitter tool I’m using for this job.

Selecting only a few tiles does not seem such a big deal to me, and I hope to pre-generate some continental scale maps for even easier downloading in the future (e.g. Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, North/South America).

I downloaded Europe and everything is working well (except for the missing tiles). A few suggestions:

• Why do some residential area’s show up on the map and others don’t? For example Guttecoven N51.013 E5.819 is visible, but Sittard N50.998 E5.866 isn’t…
  • I would suggest colouring forests green, instead of brown striped.
  • Buildings, which are white now, aren’t very well visible on the background.

Lambertus,

first thanks for this service!

Now a bug report :slight_smile: I’ve requested a combination of several tiles. The request was processed quite quickly. However, mapsource crashes when the map is installed.

I have latest version of mapsource. My request id is ae6f2095d0cbad8d8b5d88c31702fdc2.

I don’t know. Perhaps it’s dependent on the population tag…

A few posts ago there was talk about adding a TYP file to the images or make it selectable to add a TYP file. I will look into that.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I have the same problem with that mapset with MapSource 6.13.7. I’m investigating…

Update1: It’s not a structural problem, as other mapsets work fine. So it’s probably an error in one of the tiles that’s causing this.

Update2: It’s tile number 63240138 (top of Scandinavia) which causes the problem, but I don’t know what’s wrong with it though.

Good, really no needed for me :slight_smile: I’ll try out another request. Thanks!

You can also just delete the 63240138.img file from the installation directory. MapSource will run just fine without that file.

Noticed maps do not show any data between E150 30.000 and E180 00.000. This means all of Sydney and surrounds and New Zealand are blank in MapSource unless you have a portion of map from outside those longitudes showing.

This occurs on all zoom levels.

Hello,

Thank you for these maps. I tried it sucessfully on my Etrex Legend HCx. Thanks.
However, I have one question: how is it possible to define the place I want to drive to, not by pointing a place on the map, but by entering a street name?

Searching for streetnames is something that is just being developed in the Garmin map making tool Mkgmap. It just starts working in the last week so I haven’t been able to use that version yet. So keep and eye on the website and try again when new maps have been uploaded.

I see that Landuse=residential isnt rendered, in case of Guttecoven there is also a tag border=town maybe that tag is rendered and visible on the map. It would be nice to see landuse=residential will be rendered as well.

Hi,
I have 2 more questions:

1. when are the content of the tiles refreshed with new data from OSM? I tried to fix some bugs in my town, and I don’t know when they will be taken into account to check if the correction is ok…
  2. It seems that if I ask my GPS (etrex legend hcx) to guide me to a place in another tile (with respect to the one where I stand), the suggested route ignores the roads of the other tile but only takes into account the default set of highways defined in the coarse map built in the GPS memory. Is there a way to force a GPS to use the data from all tiles and ignore default coarse map data?

Aha, that I’ve experienced too. With a nuvi it takes the major motorways on the longer distances, even when I use the bicycle navigation option. Because you mentioned it, it’s the damn underlying base map (not the pre installed City Navigator, which I turned off) that takes this routing into account and there is no way to ignore it as far as i know :frowning:

Update:
I now removed the gmapbmap.img (basemap) from the internal memory, to prevent that it will take the routing into account, but it didnt help.
The only map on the Garmin is now OSM but still the motorways are chosen as the best cycling way :laughing:
So it is def. not the basemap who caused this, must be the routing software within the Garmin that is stupid.

hello, I’m just a beginner with garmin and osm maps. I downloaded a chosen worldwide routable map (parts of netherland and germany), great service, but although they are routable, I cannot route with adresses, most adresses, including city moenchengladbach, are not found. Why ? When it is possibel to route about the street, and streetname is shown on the map, why is it not possible to find adresses, or the streetname for routing ?

I hope to generate new maps every week, but as this still requires a lot of manual work it I’m a busy person the updates might come later sometimes.

From the Mkgmap mailinglist I understand there are some problems with exits from different maps to other maps and back. Perhaps this weeks build will fix this as it uses a new Mkgmap version.

The displaying of streetnames is completely different from searching streetnames in a Garmin image. The searching is being implemented at this moment and should be present in the new maps I’m creating now but may be buggy. Wait a few days for the new maps to come online.

Thank You for answering. Yesterday I installed the mapsource exe file. Very nice and simple. The osm-data and its users, the lots of free software and maps, show me , that it is possible and really an alternative to commercial maps. Most osm-maps are more actual and on top for free, admitting with bugs and less routing possibilities, but it is in a constant upgrade-process.
On your map, there are no different colours for e.g. the northsea on my garmin oregon, only a blue borderline. So you cannot simply recognize the sea. Therefore I tried to install a separate TYP-file with MAPSetToolKit, but it is not possible. Can you help me ?

There are problems with coastlines in the map making process at the moment, so it might not be a rendering problem which you could fix with a TYP file. I’ve not played with TYP files yet so i cannot help you there, but I know the TYP file has a family name which should match the family name of the map. I’m going to add an (optional) TYP file to the maps soon, hopefully.

Hi Lambertus,

first: Thank you for your service “the routable world” :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded the usa a few days ago and I will test it when I get a bigger sd card :slight_smile: Today I’ve downloaded germany. The generated map are not to big, so I’ve put it on my garmin directly, but I could’nt see anything. The map view is empty while the map is activated. Ok thougt I try some single tiles. I had selected a tile, then a link was shown for download. I have downloaded the “63240081.img” and renamed it to “gmapsupp.img” after putting it on my garmin nothing was shown :frowning:

And the reason is

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /~lambertus/garmin/routable/63240081.img was not found on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at 93.186.179.76 Port 80</address>
</body></html>

Is it a status during the weekly synchronization with OSM?

Bye,
Frida

This doesn’t address the missing files issue, but you can’t normally rename an IMG file to gmapsupp.img. A gmapsupp.img has added information, and may combine multiple IMG files into a single gmapsupp.img.

You’ll probably need to use something like MapSource, or Sendmap 2.0, or an OSM installer.

No, I’m sorry. I tried to make my life a bit easier for updating the maps Friday evening by changing the website and the software on the server a bit. But unfortunately I introduced a few major bugs, which I thought I had fixed that night (it became an ‘awake all night’ operation). But yesterday evening, when I checked if everything was still ok, I noticed that one bug was still there: it removed the source tiles from which the combined tiles are created when the combine request finished. So if one user requested a tile then the next would not be able to use it.

Because I am away most of this weekend I cannot fix the problem, and also a new set of maps has to be created to replace the ones that were deleted. This will take a few days as a result of that. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding the gmapsupp.img: you cannot rename a Garmin tile (e.g. 63240081.img) to the mapset gmapsupp.img and expect it works on the Garmin. There is a fundamental difference between a map tile and a mapset.

I suggest to book an extermintor :wink: It’s no reason to apologize to us. What kind of project is Garmin Maps? Which languages are used? Is it a one man show?

Have a nice weekend and thanks for your (Seldom/Lambertus) responses.

Mhmm… I’ve downloaded one single tile a few days ago and after renaming and putting it on the device it was working fine. I was surprised by the details :slight_smile: Sounds like a hidden feature or luck? I will retry that as soon as the service works again.

Bye,
Frida