Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Yes with the series-name you can add the datestamp of the maps now. This will only show up in Mapsource and not in the register or in the default dir name (thats the family-name if I’m correct?). Maybe you could also add the country extract name to the series-name?

No… really??</> :wink:

Yes, that seems wise …

Ok, I’ll see if that can be added easilly.

Afaik: yes.

Possibly, but that won’t allow you to install more then one country at the same time. So I was thinking about defining a unique family/product id for each country…

Does anyone know where I can find or have the directions for loading multiple maps that were on the site before JaVaWa GMTK came out. I have tried to use the program but my Dutch is a little rusty and the google translation is just slightly less confusing. I’m thinking someone has probably asked this before so i apologize. I did a forum search but could not find and answer. Thank you for your help.

Hi - how often the tiles used to generate the country maps (fast to download) are refreshed from OSM? I’m asking this since I updated some streets in OSM afew days ago, they are now available through OSM web interface and I’m wondering if I get my country map today I will get them!

Thanks

Perhaps this tool (MapRenamer) from the same author will help you out :slight_smile:

That would be very nice if the Garmin maps were updated that fast, but unfortunately that isn’t the case.

During the last year the maps have been updated approx. once or twice per month but I aim to do it every week and the new servers make that possible. Look at the date listed below the slippy map on the website to see if the map has been updated recently. That date reflects the date at which I started the update. I’m always using the planet dump for a new map version which is usually released on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

So if, for example, the date below the map lists the 14th of May then the data in the maps are from the planet dump released on May 12 or 13. In this particular case edits up to May 11 should be visible in the Garmin maps.

Regarding the New Zealand problem where the map only shows at certain zoom levels, I too have been frustrated by it since September of last year and I have tried many different downloads but with the same result. I have since been using the NZ OpenGPS Maps and while they have been working fine and will suffice for an upcoming bicycle tour that I am planning for the next NZ summer season, I would prefer to use OpenStreetMap as there is more detail available (minor ferries are missing in NZ OpenGPS).

A thought occurred to me that perhaps the problem is with the eastern edge of the tiles being right at the 180 degree east line. Could you try a build with the tile edge at 179 degrees east and see if that fixes the problem?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi again. I just did a test and downloaded the Russian tile that borders the 180 degree East longitude and it exhibits the same behavior as does New Zealand in that I can see the coastline at the 500 km scale but when I zoom in it disappears. However when I select a small piece of coastline and move my mouse over it, it shows the name “Coastline” and names of other details, but not the map itself.

I strongly suggest that it is an edge of the world problem. (Here ye find dragons and other manner of strange beasts!) Perhaps the solution would be to tile to 179 degrees 59 minutes, not 180 degrees.

Peter

Peter, I’ve confirmed the problem by just looking at the NZ Auckland tile. It’s quite possible that the 180 degree line is the problem, but how and where (i.e. Splitter or Mkgmap). I’ll gather some data to test with and write about this to the Mkgmap dev list.

Funny thing is that I can zoom in normally to 100 km, but one step further and the map disappears. Then, if I move the map to the left (i.e. scroll towards the 180 degree line) the map shows up again and when I zoom in again the map disappears again. This process can be repeated a few times more, but you end up looking at the empty ocean off the east-coast of the Northern Island in closeup.

Thanks for your report.

Edit: Ah, now I see. The problem also appears if you zoom in on the western part of the tile. You can keep zooming in as long as you keep a tile edge visible in the screen, but this doesn’t apply for the top or bottom tile edge; only the vertical tile edges. As soon as you scroll the left or right tile edge out the window the map disappears.

I have encountered a problem with a new version of a map for MAPSOURCE. In the original map there are areas where the lines of a border of region collide with the lines of roads. When you convert OSM into MAPSOURCE theese colided road disappear. As a result in last version of map there is a lack of roads, really miss half of all roads.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-0.4005&lon=-78.54222&zoom=15&layers=M

That is unfortunate. I’m filtering all lower administrative borders from the OSM data (because they clutter the map) for a long time already. But when those lines are also used for roads… I’ll have to think about a solution…

Thanks for your work Lambertus. I have downloaded a custom map from the tiles covering my area (Canberra, Australia) and installed it via mapsource and then after removing that installation I tried using the version for direct copy to my Garmin directory on my device (Garmin Edge 800). Both times the map installed and appears on my device and is enabled but when I try to navigate with the device I get an error message telling me that there are no routable roads in my area. Could this be true? Any known issues with some Garmin devices such as Edge 800? Any suggestions?

thanks

I’ve downloaded and installed the Canberra tile in MapSource and I can route across Canberra just fine. Can you post the link to your custom map download?

the link emailed to me is

<http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/routable/21-05-2011/245915d426f4cb49b8814b7b064b73b2>

I have also tried downloading and copying to my device the NSW maps (which cover Canberra) from

http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php

but I have the same problem. The maps are on the device and enabled but if I attempt to navigate with my Edge 800 I get the error message that there are no routable maps in my area. The Edge 800 is fairly new release and the cynic in me wonders if Garmin has made it less than perfect with maps it does not sell.

Of course before I try another osm map I remove any previous one from the device.

I’ve downloaded the osm_routable_mapsource.exe from the link you provided and Canberra and a few other tiles are missing:

Can you try to download the Australia map (from the pull-down menu’s)? It works fine for me in MapSource.

You are a legend and I’m a goose. I read all the instructions and still managed to download the entire Australian land mass EXCEPT my area. I’ve downloaded just my area and yes, it works!! I’ve spent days on this. It’s cold and dark outside just now but I’m so tempted to jump on my bike and do a route. Thanks again so much for your help.

Great, enjoy the maps! :smiley:

MapRenamer isn’t available anymore, there is an English version of JaVaWa GMTK now.

That’s great! I’m sure this will help a lot of people.

Hi Lambertus

Sorry if you have been all thru this before but I’m confused.

I can pick a country and download osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip. I can extract the file and add it to the Garmin directory on my Edge 800 or on its SD card and it works fine. I want to download two other countries I will be riding through soon. There can only be one gmapsupp.img of course. Can I just rename them France.img, Switzerland.img, Austria.img and all will work or do I have to somehow use JaVaWa to change the names so the maps will work seemlessly? If I need to use JaVaWa the maps need to be installed on my computer first so I guess I need to download the osm_routable_mapsource.exe files for each country, install them in mapsource and then use JaVaWa to rename them. Is this correct?

No, because most of the simpler GPS’s only recognise one img and that’s “gmapsupp.img”. You need to merge the different maps together into one gmapsupp.img and upload that to the GPS. Only renaming won’t help.

Almost. Install a country map and rename it (change the product id too). Install a second map and do the same. Repeat until you have all the maps installed. Run MapSource and select all the tiles from the different maps and have MapSource merge them into a gmapsupp.img and upload it to the GPS.

Btw, there are other methods too (e.g. using MapSend or Mkgmap).