OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 18:33:52

Buildings with many institutions?

What do you people suggest for tagging a building which has many institutions?
The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

#2 2010-05-21 14:32:32

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Such buildings usually have a name. I'd just go with that instead of trying to create a building directory.

Cheers

#3 2010-05-21 15:24:29

Vclaw
Website

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

#4 2010-05-21 22:20:53

Willi2006
Website

Vclaw wrote:

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

I have tried this for a shopping mall centralplaza Khon Kaen. I added only larger shops. Mapnik doesn't render all. But the data layer shows them all or better JOSM.

#5 2010-05-25 21:19:16

Did any one of you looked at the lightning presentation on the SotM09"12:10      State      (lightning) 3D mapping in Japan: OSM challenge in 3D town Tokyo Japan - Miurahr  at this site: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stat … e_Map_2009

Hugo

Mapping tool: Garmin HCx, Nikon Coolpix L3

#6 2011-05-27 17:28:47

Vclaw wrote:

I think this is the right way. Maybe they won't be renderd (remember, don't map for the renderer) but they will come up in search. Also, maybe a better renderer will be made in the future.

#7 2012-10-05 11:06:38

Władysław Komorek
Super Senior Member

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".
You can add releation to each institution.

#8 2012-10-06 16:28:04

Tordanik
Super Senior Member
Website

Władysław Komorek wrote:
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".

A site relation models an area which usually contains multiple buildings. This relation type is probably not appropriate here.

Some people use building relations, but I would likely map it like Vclaw - as a building=* outline way with nodes for the institutions placed within that outline.

Board footer