How to split structures in half

Hello,

This morning I traced over 100 residential buildings. Unfortunately I did not realize that they were two family homes…so when I went to add street name and number I realized what I had just done!!! Very disappointing.

Is there a way to add a line or something to split those buildings in half without having to delete and start from scratch again? I have been using iD but I can use other editors as well. Basically what I want to do is divide a single building into two.

Thank you for your help.

The description for doing this in Potlatch is given in this help topic: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/9053/how-to-split-a-building-for-naming

for JOSM. add 2 nodes on the outline, press X (you might need to install utilsplugin2

This is probably not possible in iD.

My preference is not to split the building, but to put a node on the outline for each front door, and place the addr:* tags on those nodes. The resulting map is more useful, imo, and it just seems more ‘honest’ – you probably don’t really know how the building is divided internally.

I went with adding the nodes. Thank you for the suggestion and for taking the time to answer.