How to use different way/line for unpaved

Hi. Using the Generic New style and want to show unpaved ways (as below) differently. In the line file I tried changing the TYP line matched to (e.g. to 0x0f)…

highway ~ ‘.(trunk|primary|secondary|tertiary|unclassified|residential|minor|road).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 { add mkgmap:road-speed = ‘-1’ } [0x10002 resolution 21 continue with_actions]
highway ~ ‘.(byway|living_street|service).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [0x10002 resolution 23 continue with_actions]

But get:

SEVERE (StyledConverter): splitter/63240001.osm.pbf: routable type 0x0f is used with a non-routable way which was also added as a routable way. This leads to routing errors. Try --check-styles to check the style.
SEVERE (StyledConverter): splitter/63240002.osm.pbf: routable type 0x0f is used with a non-routable way which was also added as a routable way. This leads to routing errors. Try --check-styles to check the style.

0x0f is this:

[_line]
Type=0x0f
;GRMN_TYPE: Customizable Line Types/CUSTOMIZABLE_ROUTE_LINE_3/Routable customizable line/Non NT, NT
UseOrientation=N
Xpm=“32 2 2 1”
“! c #FFFFFF
“# c #996600
“!!######!!######!!######!!######”
“!!######!!######!!######!!######”
;12345678901234567890123456789012
String1=0x01,Piste carrossable
ExtendedLabels=N
[end]

I get same message when I try changing to 0x0a which is this:

[_line]
Type=0x0a
;GRMN_TYPE: Roads/UNPAVED_ROAD/Gravel or dirt road/Non NT, NT
UseOrientation=N
Xpm=“32 2 2 1”
“! c #7B0000
“# c #DEBD9C
“!!!###!!!###!!!###!!!###!!”
“!!!###!!!###!!!###!!!###!!”
;12345678901234567890123456789012
String1=0x01,Voie sans revÍtement
String2=0x00,Unsurfaced
ExtendedLabels=N
[end]

Is there a way around this? Thanks.

I can’t tell because you don’t show in your example what you have done with 0x0f in your lines file?

In the lines file, the only thing I have done to get the message is change 0x10002 in 2 places.

highway ~ ‘.(trunk|primary|secondary|tertiary|unclassified|residential|minor|road).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 { add mkgmap:road-speed = ‘-1’ } [0x10002 resolution 21 continue with_actions]
highway ~ ‘.(byway|living_street|service).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [0x10002 resolution 23 continue with_actions]

to

highway ~ ‘.(trunk|primary|secondary|tertiary|unclassified|residential|minor|road).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 { add mkgmap:road-speed = ‘-1’ } [0x0f resolution 21 continue with_actions]
highway ~ ‘.(byway|living_street|service).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [0x0f resolution 23 continue with_actions]

or

highway ~ ‘.(trunk|primary|secondary|tertiary|unclassified|residential|minor|road).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 { add mkgmap:road-speed = ‘-1’ } [0x0a resolution 21 continue with_actions]
highway ~ ‘.(byway|living_street|service).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [0x0a resolution 23 continue with_actions]

Mkgmap complains because you are using routable lines for lines that dont carry routing parameters (eg road_class or road_speed). Better use non routable line types like 0x10002 or make a few other extra line types in your typ file?

…but hey wait, I understand you dont use it for a Garmin device? You can just ignore those warning messages, it does not have any impact in Basecamp or Mapsource.

Check this git repository https://proyectos.ingeniovirtual.com.ar/projects/garmin-osm/repository
His map show unpaved roads outlined in brown, and latest version has new mapnik color scheme.

@ligfietser - yeh - but, looking at the code for 0x0f and 0x0a in the TYP, it looked like 0x0a isn’t routable so don’t know why using that gives the error. Will look for where routing parameters are and try work out what is going on… No, I don’t even use a Garmin - but the map is for people who do… I’m making it for them, not me. Cheers.

@muralito - Thanks - will try work out how to download from there and give it a check.

Changed to this and it stopped with the message…

highway ~ ‘.(trunk|primary|secondary|tertiary|unclassified|residential|minor|road).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [road_class=0 road_speed=1 0x0f resolution 21 continue with_actions]
highway ~ ‘.(byway|living_street|service).’ & mkgmap:unpaved=1 [road_class=0 road_speed=1 0x0f resolution 23 continue with_actions]

These do still want to be routable, I guess.

EDIT: Not showing the 0x0f graphic for unpaved though… Hmmm.

EDIT2: ah - needed to take out the ‘continue with_actions’.