Failure to reflect changes...?

Hello forum,

Something’s bugging me…

I made some changes using Potlatch 2 about a year ago to a small part of an island in Thailand. A couple of these changes still haven’t been reflected in the “Standard” layer maps, even though the underlying data is correct when viewed again in Potlatch.

AFAIK every other change I’ve made in Potlatch has been rendered pretty quickly.

What could have gone wrong? Is there some way I can fix this?

Many thanks,
Alan.

Can you post a link to the area in question, or even a link directly to a feature that isn’t showing as updated?

Hi - yes. See http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/9.77479/99.96638 - I can see a brown restaurant symbol close to the beach labelled “Haad Yao Villa”. I removed this item (or so I thought…!) from the data set a long time ago but it still shows in the standard layer although not in the other layers selectable from this page.

Very odd. I know this is - in the great scheme of things - very trivial indeed.

Do you know what node ID the restaurant was a changeset that it was added, modified or deleted in? If you can find the node ID maybe undelete it and redelete it again?

If you can think of a way rather than a node that you deleted and still shows up, it should be possible to undelete it in Potlatch 1 in order to find the ID.

I’m guessing that perhaps “something got lost” during the update process. Only the OSM standard layer is affected by the looks of it.

Re: node ID - no, I don’t I’m afraid. How would I find out something like that? (I’m stretching the bounds of my knowledge here!)
Thanks
Alan.

Probably the easiest way to find a node ID is to find a changeset it was modified in and look for the name in there. Other possibilities include finding an old extract of the data with it in, loading that into a rendering database, and look for the old restaurant by name. Neither are straightforward, unfortunately.

Go to your history page, which appears to be http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/bigalxyz123/history. Look down the changeset comments to identify the changeset that deleted the item. (You did include changeset comments that allowed people to work out the key details of what you had done without trying to reverse engineer the changset, didn’t you? Recent history suggests otherwise.) Select it. The first number in the URL is the changeset number.

Look down the list of nodes affected and select the one that appears to be the appropriate one. Check that the correct one is displayed on the map. The first number in the URL is the node number.

However, my guess at what has happened is that the the rendering system for the standard layer has a working database that is updated incrementally, and one of the increments has got lost. Really they should have some mechanism to progressively refresh everything.