How to mark townlands?

Whats the official “key” (if thats the right term?) to mark townlands with? I see “Experimental import of Irish places and POIs from GNS Dataset” marks them as “Hamlet”. Is that the correct/official key for it.

JOSM has an extra option called “Locality” which seems like a better term for a townland than Hamlet. Unfortunately “Locality” doesn’t seem to be available in Potlatch. Also Potlatch has “address” which may be more suitable?

Any ideas anyone?

Is a townland a piece of land with no particular annotation to people housing? For instance, a piece of farmland or wood that has it’s own name? In that case locality is the right choice. If the place has that name because people are living there then it might be a hamlet, village, town or whatever (depending on the number of inhabitants for instance).

The fact that Potlatch or JOSM doesn’t list a tag in it’s presets doesn’t mean it’s not correct, in fact it really doesn’t mean anything except maybe it isn’t used very often…

Yes, when you ask “Is a townland a piece of land with no particular annotation to people housing? For instance, a piece of farmland or wood that has it’s own name?” you are correct.

When it came to succinctly defining a townland I was stumped! So I’ll quote Wikipedia:
“In Ireland, a townland is the smallest officially-defined geographical unit of land, smaller than a parish, barony and county.”

And of course you can use locality in Potlach. You can use any tag you like, and are not stuck with the presets.

Hi,
Irish townlands are the basic areal unit. They are also the basis of adresses outside built-up areas. The EDs, the basi census units, are (?) all aggregates of townlands. They are the rough equivalent of UK ED’s, except that the boundaries are fixed.

How do you go about querying/correcting the Gaelic name for a townland provided on this site?

Hi fiosrach, I’m not sure I understand you, can you explain what you’re looking for? You can edit OSM townlands like normal. You can see/search existing townlands on www.townlands.ie, a site I created.