OSM based restaurant, hotels, etc reviews

2 or 3 years ago, I rember a website based on openstreetmap where visitors could review tourist destinations. Some sort of trip advisor alternative. Unfortunately, I cant find it anymore?

Does anyone remeber?

http://openmarkers.tuxfamily.org

perhaps?

(I’m in no way affiliated with it and have never even logged in, but stumbled across it a couple of days ago)

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks. I think it that was it. But the site seems abandonned. :frowning:

Hey Pan,
I’m not a programmer, but I’ve been dreaming of a project like this. It’s not easy though, as osm-id’s aren’t very stable, and opinions aren’t welcome in the OSM database.

You could use Overpass Permanent IDs for referencing OSM data from elsewehere

Hello,

Each time I enlighten somebody concerning OpenStreetMap, they unavoidably ask “Why not utilize Google Maps?” From a pragmatic angle, it’s a sensible inquiry, at the end of the day this isn’t simply a question of reasonableness, however of what sort of society we need to live in. I examined this point in a 2008 chat on OpenStreetMap I gave at the first MappingDC meeting. Here are a significant number of same ideas, however, extended.

Lake Tahoe summer activities

Does OSM have any type of a Google Map style review?

Only Changeset Comments, & they are more to point out errors, or ask questions, rather than saying good work

1 Like

Map notes. Not a review, but it is a way for non-mappers to leave suggestions and ask for improvement.

PS ah, I didn’t fully read the topic. Map notes are not appropriate for reviews of restaurants, hotels etc. Reviewing would be a separate service. OSM doesn’t track where you travel and then ask how you liked it. Such a service could of course use OSM as their base map.

3 Likes

You mean reviews of places like restaurants or tourist attractions, right? No, OSM doesn’t have that.

There is Open Reviews which aims to become an Open Data alternative to the proprietary data silos. Mangrove is the demo frontend for it, but it can be integrated in other apps.

In the OSM world, MapComplete integrates Open Reviews in several themes, e.g. Restaurants and food. OpenCampingMap integrates it for campsite reviews. OsmAnd wants to add a rating system.

Talk at the State of the Map 2020 conference: Creating an open data ecosystem for reviews of places and more

As of now, Open Reviews has a bootstrapping problem. There are only few reviews and it’s only integrated into a few sites. If either usage or integration picked up more, the other would get pulled up as well.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yes. This is exactly what I was asking about.

Thanks! As a newbie, this is extremely helpful.

One service using OSM as a base and providing reviews would be Qwant Maps - that one is nice to show someone whats possible.

And, someone could look up how they integrated the tripadvisor into their site and create something similar.

Actually, I’m not interested at all in restaurant or food reviews. I was recently on a trail where I felt the newly fallen leaves made the going slippery (I’m also over 70 and did not have a hiking pole). I did a google review saying as much. I suppose its a suggestion. Perhaps an experienced mapper would know how to translate that into keywords.

I absolutely did not intend food reviews. I intended additional information which I see is appropriate for a description or note tag.

Not quite the same thing, but I use contact:tripadvisor for touristy things.

Some people do uncritically add advertising blurb to note=* or description=* which seems to just be shilling.

Its became obvious to me that if I can’t find an appropriate tag by search or asking that some of what I would enter would go into note or description. Would love to see an example of attaching a photo as a picture can say it all. Will try wikiphoto.

MapComplete allows you to add a photo directly from your phone. The photos are uploaded to imgur.

If you want more control over your photos or want them to be more long-lived you can also upload them to Wikimedia Commons. To me that makes sense for historic buildings, tourist attractions, public artworks and so on. There’s also a Commons App to upload photos from a phone directly. Still, the process is quite cumbersome. You have to enter a description, find the fitting categories, note the file name and copy-paste it into an OSM editor.

@Discostu36 had ideas for a OSM Photos app, but apparently didn’t have time to follow up on them.

Not having enough time was only one aspect, the other was that OSMF told me that the license doesn’t permit automatically creating image descriptions on Wikimedia Commons derived from OSM data. As this was going to be the core feature of the app, this was very demotivating.

Thanks. Can you give me an example of an item on Map Complete that has a photo? I attached photos to a beach and a staircase and there does not seem to be a template for them. The photo for the beach was done in WikiMedia Commons and required answering many questions. This is the changeset Changeset: 145223868 | OpenStreetMap . This is an editing URL OpenStreetMap .